PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank Gone

CDMA
09-05-2000, 10:56 AM
Well I spent this weekend with the boat. A well deserved break from school. It rean really well but do you all remeber that fuel starvation problem I was having? Well it is back and with a vengance. Went through the pump, filter, lones and everything. Finally do to fed up and switched to a 6 gallon portable tank. Problem solved. So this winter out the tank comes. I figure years of crap have just built up and lodged themselves in the pickup. So already the laundry list gets longer. New engine going in, drive coming off to be imroned ( spray match sucks it just blows off and I preped that better than the boat!!), deck off for new 41 gallon tank like GEOO's and I still am hoping to go to hydraulic steering like Gene S's. This is all on a college budget. So Gene Drago you are not the only one with a busted labor day. I even missed out on the mini Long Island Donzi run. I figure then also my boat will be there just for show on the 23rd for the poker run. You never really realize how fast these engines use gas till you run off a 6 gallon tank. No joke 10 minutes of hard running and you are sweating becase it is almost empty. So there is my tale of woe. More later

Hey the boat looks good!!!

Chris

GEOO
09-05-2000, 01:45 PM
Chris, Can you check your fuel pick up tube, or is it inaccessible? I have a 12 and 28 gal portable tank if you want to borrow one for longer cruises!! GEOO

BigGrizzly
09-05-2000, 06:50 PM
My Corsican suffered the same thing. I found the fuel pickup tube has a semi fine screen on it. First time iItook it out it looked fine. The problem was still there -put a fuel pressure meter on the carb supply line, it it would drop to almost -0-as RPM,s increased but only under load. Took it off and let my big fuel/water filter do the work. volia problem solved. Of corse I changed filter ever week, just so I didnot have to worry. Also check the fuel pump vent tubefor a clog. Bateman's Little Red had that problem-at high rpms dyaphram stops moving because of pressure or lack there of.

CDMA
09-05-2000, 07:21 PM
Big Grizzly,

I tried to do this but my pick up is welded in and is not removable. I have 2 racors in series and was not worried because they would take care of all the crap but I can not get the mesh off. I figure if I am planning the engine swap it will be even easier with the deck off.

Chris

RickR
09-05-2000, 07:29 PM
Chris
How about running something down the intake tube and knocking the screen off?

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

CDMA
09-05-2000, 11:33 PM
Scot,

I had a feeling the tank was bad so I set up two oversize filters. One a 30 micron and the second a 2 micron. The fuel pump is not stock. It is a Holley marine unit and the fuel from the 6 gallon was pulled through both filters. Both filters have been changed twice this season with no difference in results. I am pretty confident it is the screen.

Chris

CDMA
09-05-2000, 11:36 PM
Rick,

I have thought about that but the outlet is a welded L. So I can not go straight down. I finnaly got the boat together and used it. I love it more than I could have imagined and I will keep it. Therefore the old tank has to go anyway because I want more range and I just like the stuff done right. For the same reason I am repainting the Vovlo this winter.

Chris

CDMA
09-06-2000, 07:25 AM
Thanks Scot,

I will keep that in mind. Geoo, didn't you order your tank right from Donzi?

Chris

GEOO
09-06-2000, 09:14 AM
Chris,
I ordered my tank from Donzi on 03/20/98 part # 561-0104
Description: Fuel tank 41 gal Alum 54412.
$ 390.60 + shipping 40.00 = $ 430.60
GEOO

Rob
09-06-2000, 10:28 AM
Chris:

I went through the tank replacement routine last winter. It was really not as big a deal as I thought it was going to be. If you are interested in the details and lessons learned, let me know and I'll send them to you.

BTW, I can highly recommend FLA Marine Tanks. I sent them my old 25 gal tank because I wanted the new one to be the same. What they sent back was a perfect replica-same dimensions, all the inlets and outlets in the exact same places, etc. And the workmanship was first rate. Nice looking welds, high quality pick up and internal fuel gauge. And I thought the cost was quite reasonable-$140 as I remember. Funny thing though. I live in Missouri, and I shipped the old tank to their location in Miami. They promptly re-shipped it to their production facility outside St. Louis-just a couple hundred miles from my house!

CDMA
09-06-2000, 11:37 AM
I was going to do what Geoo did but that is a lot more money and would require me to move a stringer which I can do but do not know if I want to. It just would make it easier to drop in one the same size. Especially not living at home near the barn. It really is a production to get there from school and get evrrything set up. We will see.

Chris