PDA

View Full Version : Arneson/back to school

CDMA
02-21-2001, 10:34 AM
My internship is winding down just as the yard seems to be picking up again. What you going to do. I never got to finish the refit of the little tug that sank but learned a lot about joinery and electrical which was great. Spent some time in the office as well learning about what makes the management side work. Met a few really great people that were reserved but once you got to talking to them you were amazed at the expertise in so many aspects of the marine industry. So next monday I start another semester. This one shouldn't be quite as bad. I made some progress on differential calc myself and the is one less credit (22 now) so maybe I will do a little better than last semester.

On boat news the 18 is coming together slowly. My new tank is in and hopefully the entire underside of the deck/inside of the hull wil get regelcoated this weekend. After that I can start rigging the Alpha. This thing better be worth it.

On sort of what I am hoping is the deal of the century I have landed a 4 year old never used brand new in box Arneson ASD-6. It is complete with all plumbing, rams, pumps and drive minus Tranny and Prop. The best part is the final price was $650. It was shipped last Friday UPS so I am expecting it real soon. The 454 for the 22 is getting new cam, intake, ported heads and with any luck a used hipo exhaust system if I can find one. I am chasing down a lead on a set of Gill Big Guns now. That should sufice for a year or 2 until I can build a big a$* blower motor.

Anyone had any experience with transmissions that would help me figure out what brand/ model I want. In the not to distant future I should have 750+hp so the #1 prioriy is strength. Any ideas???

thanks guys

Chris

BigGrizzly
02-21-2001, 09:03 PM
Use the modified borg. MP and I saw some rated to 1,000 hp at the show. 750Hp is going to cost big dollars and you will need 4inch pipes. My engine coat more than I have in the Corsican. Remember stock rods will not take 600HP for long.
Randy

CDMA
02-22-2001, 07:00 AM
I had a feeling BW was going to be the choice just from the initial research I had done. Anyone know of anything floating around pleaase let me know.

Madpoodle,

What do you know about the Magnum.

Big Grizz,

I have done as much reading and information as I can and am very aware the stock rods will not do. The eventual blower motor might take a few years but it will be done right. I am not sure exactly what that is but at this point I am doing my best to figure that out. It will be done as a drop in replacement for the 454 in the boat so when I mess it up, as I am likely to do, I will still have the 454 to drop back in.

I doubt I will go the CMI route but probably Gill or Stainless marine. I would prefer the BIG 4.5 inch tubes but if I find a good 4 inch set that will do just fine. While I could buy them new I sort of am trying to cut costs wherever I can so I will keep my eyes open for a good used pair. While you can get burned and I am aware of that I have had some really good luck with used parts. You have to watch yourself but I think if you are an educated consumer you can really save some money.

Chris

GEOO
02-22-2001, 05:03 PM
Chris, I have an extra prop you could try and a extra horizontal fin. GEOO