PDA

View Full Version : TRS Drives

rayjay
09-01-2000, 11:37 AM
Quick question, does the TRS go either way (RH or LH) like a Volvo I/O? Or is there a special LH TRS drive? rayjay

MattM
09-05-2000, 11:49 AM
I've never heard of a LH TRS. I do know that in the 80s Merc built backwards motors by spinning the cam opposite the crank with a gear on the crank meshed with a gear on the cam. This way they used the same drive spinning the engine opposite to get a LH.

Richard Ranieri
09-05-2000, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by rayjay:
Quick question, does the TRS go either way (RH or LH) like a Volvo I/O? Or is there a special LH TRS drive? rayjay

TRS units were available in both r&l rotation. Rotation is determined by the location of the driven gear in the housing.Different propeller shafts and bearings are used for each drive.Right hand drives have RH stamped on the end of the propeller shaft,left hand have LH or no stamp at all

Forrest
09-05-2000, 05:38 PM
It's the drive. The TRS drive can be had in either left or right hand rotation. Unlike the Bravo or Volvo drives you can't just run 'em in reverse to change the rotation.

The TRS's MercTrans transmission uses clutches to engage and disengage the power and uses a reverse band or brake to stop the planetary gear carrier from turning which provides reverse. When the band is tightened around the carrier, the output shaft rotates in reverse due to the planetary gear system. The break would never hold and the planet gears would self distruct by turning very fast if the transmission were held in reverse under power for any length of time. To go forward, the brake is released and planet gears don't rotate, which in turn causes the entire carrier to rotate in the same direction as the crankshaft. At this point, the planetary gear carrier is directly coupled to the output shaft. I know this because I have my MercTrans opened up right now to replace the rear seal, and as I am now finding out, only some parts are still available. I can buy an output bearing and many of the hard parts, but gaskets and seals are NLA. Oddly enough, they have a listing for the entire transmission, brand new for eight-hundred-and-some odd bucks.

Hay Randy, who was that guy in Pensacola that has all of those MercTrans parts? Got a phone number?

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 09-05-2000).]

BigGrizzly
09-05-2000, 06:09 PM
Forrest,

The guy in Pensacola is Jeff Posner of Posner Marine. Phone is 904-444-9760. Make sure he knows that you know me and that I sent you to him. He's an old friend.

Randy