PDA

View Full Version : Engine Swap

CDMA
08-31-2000, 02:40 PM
Well Patience is running well but as always I want more. Collge life is fun, DEMANDING, but most of all I miss the boat stuff. Thanks to a registry memeber ( Tory) I got a great deal on a long block 355. He had in his garage a long block that he had built for his truck. Put 7000 miles on it and scrapped the truck. It has 9.5 to 1 compression, 1.94 heads, and a coulple other basic but nice performance parts. I was going to rebuild mine to get 9.5 to 1 compression and put Vortec chevy heads on it but for the price of this ( $500) I can not beat it. I am thinking of either the edelbrock performer or victor intakes. Any thoughts on that? Also I have the Quadrajet that was on the stock engine and was wondering what I have to do to it. I figure I am looking at a realistic upgrade of 65 horsepower at least. From 260 to what 325-330? So am I going to have to rejet the carb like Paul O or what. I have no experience what so ever playing with Carbs. If a Holley is so much better I will do that but if not it would be nice to put the money towards maybe a crane roller cam set up. I am not worried about reversion at all because I have desiged tubes that go over the end of the risers and fit in the exhaust hose. Essentially moving where the water is introduced farther aft. So power is of the essence. The more the better and I have a Whaler with a Yamaha so if this thing idles like s%$% I don't care. This is just a riding boat. No skiing or anything like that.

Also anyone else have anymore thoughts on the external steering? As soon as I get the pictures of Gene S's system I will start on that.

Chris

RickR
08-31-2000, 04:36 PM
Chris
Be carfull with the extension tubes. Risers have dams built in them so the water will contact the top of the water jacket also.
Without these you might overheat and melt your exhaust hose.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

CDMA
08-31-2000, 05:32 PM
Rick,

I see your point and it is something I did think about. However there are the following things: I just got this new trident hose that is rated at 750 degrees and the factory rep said it could honestly take much more. Only problem is that it is electic Blue. Also the extensions are only going to be about a foot to eighteen inches long. The extenders will also have diverters for the water to follow the hard part is figuring out where to put them. And finally one thing I have noticed is that at anywhere above 3000 rpm the volume of water coming out the exhausts borders fire hose quantity. I think it is because I have an engine driven water pump as opposed to an in-outdrive pump. I will watch it really close and the worst that happens is that I ruin $60 worth of hose. I had a couple of the mechanical engineers here look at the sketches and thought it would work. They were quite intrigued by the idea of reversion and my guess is it was the topic of dinner conversation around here with the professors. Yes, we have no life her other than boats...what a place.

Chris