PDA

View Full Version : WHAT IS THIS 24 FOOT DONZI ?

lou
02-19-2001, 07:15 PM
I need help determining what this boat is . It is a 1975 donzi 24 foot that is unlike any other I have seen, single big block merc closed bow, no cuddy w/only two seats and two great big hatches over the engine compartment. http://www.4u2buy.com/donzi/p2190002.jpg

[This message has been edited by lou (edited 02-19-2001).]

olredalert
02-19-2001, 10:08 PM
Iou,
While you have only given us one pic to go by it appears you have unearthed a rare DONZI Spitfire.Ive expressed some interest in one of these in the past but am financially challenged enough with my present resto of its brother(El Pescador).Please tell us more about your find as Im still extremely interested!...........just..........ol red!

superhatz
02-19-2001, 10:47 PM
Yeah that's a spitfire!...looks like the one in the boat trader last summer. Is it for sale?...I gotta get a real job.

lou
02-20-2001, 05:52 AM
Red : this does look like a pescador but with a closed bow, I will try to take more pictures and post them.
superhatz: It is for sale $10,000 is the asking price does anyone know if this isfair , too high or low ?

olredalert
02-20-2001, 10:27 AM
Lou,
Seems as though theres plenty of interest out here.I would like to know alot more about your find,but will say up front that Im not a player at this time.Are you interested for yourself or did you just fall on top of it?If its the latter,Id love to see one of our buds here on the registry end up with this rare peice.If you want it Im sure we all will help in any way we can.Anyway,let me ask a few questions.The exaust holes in the transom look a little odd,sort of elongated.Maybe its just the picture?The striping all appears added,is it?My dealer flyer shows only the normal boot stripe.Has the boat been painted?Is that a TRS on the back?How is the boat powered?The factory flier shows extensive Bilt-Rite upholstry.How good is it?Also,hows the windshield,and chrome.I know,I know,alot of questions,but this is a rare old piece.Just begging for a 502EFI transplant,dont ya think?So far,this is the only one Ive come across that actually looks restorable.Thanks in advance!...........just.......ol red!

Danny
02-20-2001, 10:52 AM
Lou
I agree with the others that this is a Spitfire. I was led to believe that the Spitfire, Doral and the El Pescador are all the same hull with different deck configurations. I have only seen 2 Spitfires and a hand full of Dorals but they all had twin SBF with Volvo drives, so has this boat been repowered?
If Brownie is reading this maybe you can confirm that they are the same hulls and what engines were most common in the Spitfire.
I would also be interested in knowing how many Spitfires were made and what years.
Great boat, I would kill to find one of these up here.
Danny

Danny
02-20-2001, 10:56 AM
Lou
Just an add on there are a couple of brochure and spec sheets pictures in the Gallery .
Danny

Len
02-20-2001, 11:22 AM
is this it?... center bow rail on deck, 396 for power... http://images.traderonline.com/EMedia/tarchive2/120/001320289/00132028902.jpg

[This message has been edited by Len (edited 02-20-2001).]

lou
02-20-2001, 01:03 PM
OK everyone here you go:
1975 DONZI, 24ft new trailer and motor, bimini top, I/O all redone, not center console, 396 big block, interested in trade for Corvette or open fisherman of equal value, for sale $9500 obo, 561-588-0654.
Here is how to get there; I-95 to Hypoluxo go east on Hypoluxo to the first street light then make a left (north) go past three stop signs and make a right ( east) go past two stop signs and make your first right (south) it is the second house on the right: you know the one with the spitfire under the car port! http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif
Here is the ad : http://www.boattraderonline.com/addetail.html?7294380
Here is what I saw
Repainted , 396 big block with a volvo 280 drive, re-upolstered and needs to be re done, engine does not run at this time and looks rough, inspite of what the ad says the trailer is rusty and the whole boat needs to be gone over. This boat has been sitting and it shows, inspite of the owner's attempt to clean it up. It has a nice appearance from 20 feet away and is worthy of restoration because of its heritage and rarity.
Here are detailed pictures: http://www.4u2buy.com/donzi/dzspit.jpg
It is up for grabs good luck to the new owner!

CDMA
02-20-2001, 02:01 PM
WOW!!!

Forrest
02-20-2001, 03:30 PM
Hold me me back! I like it, but do I really need a another Donzi? Didn't the ad on BoatTrader.com say that they would trade for an open fisherman? Man, a Spitfire would be alot more fun than that 22' Aquasport sitting in my front yard. Well, at least the Aquasport runs! Naaa, I don't need it. Lenny this it the boat for you! An 18 just ain't going to cut it on the Strait of Jaun de Fuca. You need this boat. Come on down and get it! BTW, that's a Volvo-Penta 280 drive painted black.

------------------
Forrest

lou
02-20-2001, 06:36 PM
I know how you feel it was so hard to walk away from this boat...... But here is something that may be of help, it originally had two motors and was converted to one. There are some cracks and chips on the fiberglass throughout the hull and the transom was redone when it was re - powered. Does anyone want to see more pictures??
http://www.4u2buy.com/donzi/looks.jpg

[This message has been edited by lou (edited 02-21-2001).]

olredalert
02-20-2001, 07:00 PM
Being familiar with my El Pescador,and the way the hull is changed to accomodate twin screw,I dont think Id be interested in a twenty-four that had been converted from one to the other by who knows who.You wouldnt believe the differences.Somebody had to make some major cuts,and almost certainly would have diminished the strength of the bottom severly!...........just..........ol red!

Blewbyu
02-20-2001, 07:33 PM
Hey Len-It's only 7000 mi R/T,2 weeks out of your life,700 gals of gas,and about 3 transmissions,a couple of ferry rides and you'll have that puppy in your front yard!Really too bad the thing isn't in Idaho at least.Pretty interesting.Forrest has a good point-it would be a much better family boat and good for the straights,but I doubt you'll spend much time in the Straights anyway.Bet it swallows gas at a fair rate as well.Pretty as it is,it just ain't as pretty as an 18-but then what is???

Len
02-20-2001, 08:26 PM
Jeff, your right about the transmission thing. I don't have ANYTHING that will happily tow a 24' boat around, not to mention that I live 5 miles into the "bush/country" and 1200 feet higher than the city 10 miles away. The roads match the country location. I have had "therapy" to accept about 5000 mile round trips, not the 7000 mile FLA thing just yet. Your right on the 18' being "about the prettiest boat on the water". I like the sixteen with Ski Sporter seating as well. Forrest, my kids/wife are hardened boaters and "air" and seas don't bug them at all. If anyone holds back it is me, but I love big weather and small boats. I'm still wondering about what is happening with that project 16' SKI SPORTER for sale on the REGISTRY as I was unable to buy it 'cuz it is not for sale anymore but other people are still looking at it 1 1/2 weeks later 'cuz it still is... http://www.donzi.net/ubb/confused.gif
FORMULA JR, check out OUR Nortel stocks. Many class action suits, and unbelievable losses. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif
not to mention the other hi-tech COMM stocks here going through the ringer. Same deal as Lucent holdings.

[This message has been edited by Len (edited 02-20-2001).]

Voodoocanoe
02-20-2001, 09:52 PM
Len,You declined on the purchase of the 16' because "it was too far to travel"then you decided that you wanted it but just the hull and deck minus trailer engine and outdrive and all the other parts except the new rubrail.Then you wanted to sell the windshield to somebody and split the money with me.Then I received the Email from you asking me not to mention the purchase on the Donzi.net??? And as far as you not being able to buy it is because I will NOT part the boat out.I just thought that I would set the record straight regarding your remarks in the previous post.

Eight_(8)_Ball
02-20-2001, 10:46 PM
those bucket seats brought me back to my 'ol 73 formula 233. those were the same but for the armrests 8^)

------------------
Mike @ Bayview Canvas (http://www.bayviewcanvas.com)

[This message has been edited by Eight_(8)_Ball (edited 02-20-2001).]

Len
02-21-2001, 12:08 AM
Lee, this isn't even close to what happened, your boat is "not going to be shrink wrapped" and stored in your barn as you told me it was going to be, (that it was no longer for sale due to all the hate mail this site and elsewhere generated with regards to its sale) It is actively for sale, just not to me and there was no deceit with regards to the price etc, as you posted it when you placed the ad in Boats for Sale. $2900. No secret. I was trying to give you more money for the pain and effort for hanging on to it till May for me. There was no parting out to be done prior to my ownership and ONLY WITH YOUR PERMISSION once I owned it...sorry everyone for airing all this crap... http://www.donzi.net/ubb/frown.gif

Voodoocanoe
02-21-2001, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Len:
Lee, this isn't even close to what happened, your boat is "not going to be shrink wrapped" and stored in your barn as you told me it was going to be, (that it was no longer for sale due to all the hate mail this site and elsewhere generated with regards to its sale) It is actively for sale, just not to me and there was no deceit with regards to the price etc, as you posted it when you placed the ad in Boats for Sale. $2900. No secret. I was trying to give you more money for the pain and effort for hanging on to it till May for me. There was no parting out to be done prior to my ownership and ONLY WITH YOUR PERMISSION once I owned it...sorry everyone for airing all this crap... http://www.donzi.net/ubb/frown.gif

Len,Would it refresh your memory if I posted the Emails that you sent me? Did you not say all that you wanted was the deck/hull and interior and that you would put it in the back of a big U-HAUL truck minus the trailer eng/drive and misc.parts for the price of $2000.00??? The boat is NOT for sale,I had talked to one gentleman since we talked but it was too far of a distance for him to travel also,The boat has NEVER been advertised anywhere besides this site.I never imagined in a million years that putting this boat for sale would cause everybody so much grief or that I would receive insulting offers of $200.00 for the "E"drive or $1000.00 for everything or what would it take to get it running(I had stated that it needs a total restoration)My only intention of putting this boat for sale was I found an 18'Donzi that also needs a restoration and I do not have the time to do them both besides owning 3 additional boats I was under the impression that somebody here on this board that admires these particular boats would get a good deal that is also the reason that I did not advertise it anywhere else.but I will keep it and restore it at a later date as I had told you.Now that we have got that off our chests have a nice day.

CDMA
02-21-2001, 08:24 AM
Voodocanoe,

Let me assure you your boat is worth every penny. I am AMAZED someone has not picked up this boat. I really would love it but at this point I understand it is not a responsible decision. I hope the actions of a few regarding your boat does not put a negative light on this site in your mind. It is a wonderful place with generally great people. I wish you luck with your 18 and the sale or restoration of your 16.

Chris
1968 18 Classic
1987 22 Classic
and a 16 someday

ALLAN BROWN
02-21-2001, 10:32 AM
THE 24'S WERE DESIGNED BY HARRY SHOELL FOR JOHN AND TIM CHISHOLM AFTER I LEFT. VERY CLEVER TOOLING, TO MAKE 3 MODELS IN ONE MOLD. THIS WAS DURING POST-PETRO CRISIS DAYS, WHEN WE WERE ALL SCRATCHING OUR *#@ TRYING TO SELL A BOAT.

elramone
02-26-2001, 03:17 PM
Consider what you have before you let that puppy go. There are only seventeen made EVER of that Donzi. Also I really question if someone converted from two drives to one. What is it about the transom that makes you say that. Some were made with one outdrive. 10K is way under priced. Restore it properly and the skies the limit with it. I have seen only three... one on long island (dual engine ,volvo drives, rough shape, nest restoration), and theres a fellow in Florida with one.... (looks very nice.... dual engines with TRS set ups..... hes got a golden nugget there.... and one another in Michigan being restored... single engine bow tie big block with a #3 speedmaster single. Awesome boat. So... if you wanna be sorry all your life... sell out cheap... but if you understand the background with this vessel... dont do it. Have much greater expectations........ RUNABOUT DONZI'S NEVER DIE.... they just get prettier.

lou
02-26-2001, 06:04 PM
elramone:
The boat was born with two engines, the transom was re - done and the engine in the boat is an automotive engine. There is clear evidence of where the two outdrives were and as olredalert pointed out there may be some hull damage as they had to remove the center stringer to install the engine in the middle. I have no doubt that this is a rare boat but the restoration cost would far exceed what anyone would be willing to pay for it. Now I just saw a 27 foot magnum with twin big blocks and trs drives for $8500 which one would you rather have? Unlike the Spitfire I will only disclose the location and seller of the magnum to the first person to email me. Be quick and it will be yours!
http://www.4u2buy.com/donzi/magnum.jpg

[This message has been edited by lou (edited 02-26-2001).]

CDMA
02-26-2001, 06:33 PM
Them look like TRS's

lou
02-26-2001, 06:45 PM
Opps sorry CDMA I meant to write trs drives.

lou
02-26-2001, 08:26 PM
Just checking the progress on my new boat Scott.
http://www.4u2buy.com/donzi/mine.jpg