PDA

View Full Version : The Lake, and more...

GeneD
08-31-2000, 01:58 PM
Good news...
and
Bad news...
Good news is that we are going to the Lake.
Alabama here we come!
Bad news is that we are going sans 007.
The motor is entirely trashed.
I can hardly beleive what has happend to that thing!
Spun 2 bearings, one rod, and one main bearing.
Broke 2 main bearing caps. One (#2) broke in 3 pieces, the second (#3) broke in 2 pieces.
Three pistons are destroyed, one is as I described previoulsy, another has a broken skirt, and yet another has 2 cracks between the compression ring groove and the scraper ring groove.
The crank is wiped out, as is a connecting rod.
I have decided to stop knocking myself in the head trying to get a motor together for the weekend. (Which is possible, the machinst was going to make special considerations for me)
Instead, I am going to put in a 1998 Mercruiser 350 (which is having machine work done as we speak and will be ready next week) and stop beating myself up.
Madpoodle and his wife have offered to let us ride with them, and Yee-ha, we be goin'!
See you all in a few hours!

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Varyak
08-31-2000, 05:06 PM
GeneD,
You can ride (or drive) with me anytime. See you at the Lake.
Mark

Forrest
08-31-2000, 09:33 PM
GeneD, I thought that Scott B. couldn't make it. Better give him a call to make sure. We want your crew there!

Someone give GeneD a ride to Eufaula.

------------------
Forrest

GeneD
09-01-2000, 07:56 AM
Well Forrest,
As you know now...
We are not going.
Scot was not going...but I talked him into it! It didn't take much talking, as a matter of fact, he stopped me in mid sentence while I was pitching my ideas, and said he was going to go.
It's too bad that boating problems have stalled and wiped out our chances of going.
We were going to ride with Scot and Heidi, but...that is not going to happen.
I wish all you guys a good time at the lake.
I will be Donzi-less this weekend, and it's questionable that I will have a boat next weekend.
My new motor won't be done until Friday of next week. And that means a bit of time before I can assemble and install.
No problem. Now that I have myself in the hold on and wait for the new engine mind-set, I am very excited.
I am wondering if I should get a new cam. Does anyone have a recommendation? I have the new chevy roller cam set-up. It would be very cool to get something hot!

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Forrest
09-01-2000, 08:43 AM
GeneD we will miss you, Tina, Scott, and Heidi. Maybe next year, but for sure in February at Scott's house. I'll bring the X-18 for the ride down to Alabama Jacks.

That must be a one-piece rear main seal motor, Gene. If last 350 was a two-piece rear main (pre-1987) block, you may need to get a different flywheel and coupler. Roller cam is the way to go.

Off to Eufaula!

------------------
Forrest