PDA

View Full Version : Renting a tow vehicle

FrequentFlyer
02-17-2001, 04:58 PM
Hi folks. I have a problem I am wondering if any of you have a solution.

I tow my 18 2+3 around town with my car. Since I live on Long Island the tow is usually less than 20 miles. I'm not really supposed to tow this load (according to the manual) but the trailer hitch maker (u-haul) said it should be OK. So far it does fine around town.

But, this summer I plan on heading up to FastEddie's Lake George Spring Dust Off (5 hr drive one way).

The problem is my car probably won't cut it. I know eventually I will have to buy an SUV but my cars aren't dead yet and I'd rather not spring for an SUV just yet.

Anybody know a company where I can rent an SUV or other vehicle with trailer hitch?

Alex

Frank Civitano
02-17-2001, 05:28 PM
before I got my Ford 4 door diesel dually, We towed our boat from Toms River NJ to Long Island for the poker run in a U Haul 1500 GMC pick up. Hey 19.95 for the day and I towed my 22ZX at 70mph down the Parkway no Problem. The problem is No room in the Cab,

------------------
Frank Civitano

Dr. Dan
02-17-2001, 07:25 PM
I agree with Frank, usually you can shop around to find places that might even have a heavier duty 3/4 ton with a hitch. Which should not be a problem if your car is doing the trick on the short side now. U-Haul,Penske,Ryder all have vehicles that would do the job. Don't be afraid to check a little bit out of your immediate area if availability is a problem,some stores have plenty while others are always rented out. Me and the Mrs. will be attending our first "dust off" also. So I'm sure we'll see ya there, good luck! ...Doc Also check any major rental car co.(Airports,etc.)they often have Jeeps or vans,Hertz, etc.

[This message has been edited by Dr. Dan (edited 02-17-2001).]

FrequentFlyer
02-19-2001, 07:14 AM
Good suggestions. Thanks guys

PaulO
02-20-2001, 11:40 AM
Glad you hear you are coming to the spring dust-off. I will be heading up for that too. As of last week, I no longer own a Donzi and I am not sure if I will bring the cigarette up yet. I will post a thread on the get-together so we can see who is coming and maybe travel up/down together.
PaulO