PDA

View Full Version : Stringer Replacement

Stromer
02-17-2001, 07:02 AM
Has anyone replaced stringers in an 18 before? I notice I continually develope fine cracks on the outboard side of the inner strakes. After havinf many opinions from the boat building group - I'm told I should cut out the stringers, glass under them, then reglass them in.

I can't believe this is happening - as a kid I beat the crap out of many 16's and 18's and never broke them. What do ya think?

GeneD
02-17-2001, 08:10 AM
Yeah, me too. I see some fine line cracks in suspicious spots. I think it is due to the fact that we are putting more and more power to these puppies than was available previously.
Andy, you going to the show?

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Stromer
02-17-2001, 02:33 PM
Gene,
I guess your right about more and more HP going into these pups. Not to mention more fuel capacity which add even more weight.

I an really thinking of redoing the stringers - It is a big job but I want it right - what do ya think? OR Should I just have fun and runit?

About the Miami Show...HMMMM...How do I explain...my company has been offered to Genmar (Wellcraft, Hatteras, Carver and so on). I am busy preparing info for them and report after report after report. I will not be at Miami for reasons not explained to me. When I see you next - we will have a few drinks and I'll tell you some wild stories about this industry.

RickR
02-17-2001, 02:40 PM
Stromer

I never had any stress cracks on the 18 (except where they picked her up with the forklift that one time http://www.donzi.net/ubb/mad.gif ) but when I upgraded to 420HP I added some aluminum reinforcing to the stringers around the motor mounts for added security.

Tommie and I should be in Grove City by next weekend. Can't wait!

Let's get togeather and have a cold one!

Want to met up in Venice? Or trailer on down to Grove City and we'll cruise to Boca.

I am trying to get a laptop running so I should be on line.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 02-17-2001).]

Stromer
02-19-2001, 07:44 PM
Call me or email when you get to you FLA destination. We will try to meet up in Venice.