PDA

View Full Version : Help With Mystery Donzi

alljet
02-14-2001, 07:01 PM
I need some help with identification and advice regarding a 16 foot V drive. We took this boat in on trade with the intention of doing a quick sprucing up prior to resale. However, the thing is really starting to grow on me, and I’m entertaining the possibility of being able to keep it! Here’s what we have: The boat is yellow with white upholstery, and we found the original (?) 3 part black stripe under a hand-brushed white one. The rear seat back area had been sawz-alled for easy engine access. We just got done glassing in the butchered area, and sprayed everything above the rub rail and inside the cockpit with fresh yellow gelcoat. The boat has a 1976 Arizona VIN, but the prior owner thought it was older than a 76. We can’t find the original serial number anywhere, but maybe we’re looking in the wrong places. The boat has a 383 with Casales V Drive and no transmission. We have a velvet drive on the way, which will necessitate shortening the drive shaft. Here are a few questions: There are two shift/throttle levers. One to shift and one for the throttle. Is this normal? Where should we be looking for the serial number? There is a deck mounted tach in a snazzy chrome tube, kind of like on old Firebirds. Is this normal or was it added? What kind of steering wheel should it have? This one looks like one you would buy at Kmart in the 70’s. Did the boat originally come with a HM 427? Should we leave the 383 as is? It has an Offy manifold, but other than that, I’m pretty ignorant about American V8’s. Should we go ahead with the 3 part black stripe? Are the neat black hood scoops add-on’s? I think we’ll keep them regardless. Thanks for the help!

alljet
02-15-2001, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the response. I am still in contact with the prior owner, and have done the search for prior info on the boat. I'm basically just picking up where TMrider left off, so any further/new info would be appreciated, especially concerning the questions about registration nos., tach., steering wheel, hood scoops, etc. Also, there is a cut-out by the rear passengers' feet that has an aluminum grate kind of like a home heat register. We left this hole as-is, because we see similar things in some of the photos on the registry. The grate is pretty beat up. Is this a prior owner botch job? The cut out looks like it was done by the same sawz-all guy. Thanks!

ALLAN BROWN
02-16-2001, 07:14 AM
THAT SOUNDS LIKE AN 18' TO ME. THE GRATE WAS ON A FEW RACEBOATS. MEASURE THE LENGTH AND POST IT.

BROWNIE

Voodoocanoe
02-16-2001, 03:31 PM
To the best of my knowledge that aluminum grate was on all the 16's and it was to provide air into the engine compartment

alljet
02-17-2001, 09:20 AM
The boat is just slightly over 16 feet long, and the grate measures 16 by 6 inches. I was wrong-the grate is made of steel, not aluminum, so maybe it really is a home heat register! I’d sure like to know the approximate year of the boat. The main confusing thing right now is the two Morse control levers. One is below the other one. The top one has a longer handle and larger ball and controls the throttle. The lower one shifts the V Drive in and out of gear. When we put in the velvet drive, should we replace the top one with a standard throttle/shift control like most inboards have, or should we just hook up the bottom one to the tranny and reach through the floor if we ever want to disengage the forward V Drive transmission? Also-we have two stern cleats. Were these standard, or do they need to go? Thanks!

harbormaster
02-17-2001, 09:30 AM
The grate was standard on older 16s
(see photo)
http://www.donzi.net/hull/unk_svanalstine/cockpitrear.jpg

Forrest
02-17-2001, 09:41 AM
Are you guys sure that's not for the heating and air-conditioning system?

BTW, according to Bilt Rite's John Harmon, the engine access "cutout" you see in that picture was factory done on some models where access or clearence was a problem. My Hornet II has the same thing but with a different cover. John showed me his original upholstery patterns that takes into account the opening since some of the cutout covers stuck out about an inch or so.

------------------
Forrest

alljet
02-17-2001, 03:01 PM
Wow! And I thought the one on our boat looked like a home heat register! The one in the picture definitely came from a lumber yard, what with the adjustable louvers and everything. The one on our boat, while beat up and missing a slat, looks much more seaworthy (as in worthy of being on a boat). It isn't adjustable, but we shouldn't need it anyway with the massive (approx. 2 feet long) dual fiberglass scoops on the engine lid. And we still have two chrome 4x5 inch scoops on the deck. Should get plenty of air!

GEOO
02-17-2001, 07:17 PM
That's a Home Depot Special HVAC Wall register. HUM, I was looking for some ways to get more air to my little small block!!! GEOO

boldts
02-17-2001, 08:51 PM
What do you guys think about the back seat cut-out? A cam change for the engine without pulling the engine?

Scott Boldt http://www.donzi.net/ubb/confused.gif

Blewbyu
02-17-2001, 09:13 PM
Why-I think that back seat cutout is kinda cute!