PDA

View Full Version : 28 cigarette

jag6687
02-13-2001, 08:14 AM
I am looking for any info. regarding a 1979 28 cigarette ss . looking to repower, bigblock vs. small blocks. tried contacting cigarette, no response! any help would be greatly appreciated.

Forrest
02-13-2001, 08:37 AM
Better contact seano at ThunderboatAlley.com (http://www.thunderboatalley.com). He just repowered his 28SS with great results.

------------------
Forrest

ALLAN BROWN
02-13-2001, 08:49 AM
I WAS DIRECTOR OF PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT AT CIGARETTE IN 1985,6 AND 7. I DESIGNED THE BULLET, DECATHLON, AND THE CIGARETTE 21" THAT WAS NEVER BUILT. WHAT KIND OF ADVICE DO YOU NEED?

BROWNIE

PaulO
02-13-2001, 09:33 AM
Alan,
Since I just purchased an '82 20' Cig, can you give me any insight into the design of that boat? Any thoughts on it - like it, don't like it? Do you know what years they were produced.
Thanks,
Paul

ALLAN BROWN
02-13-2001, 10:30 AM
THEY WERE BUILT 1972 TO 1987. THE LAST ONE I BUILT WAS A DINGHY FOR SOME RICH GREEK. IT WAS SO SPECIAL, THAT IT WAS BUILT WITH PIGMENTED RESIN (DARK BLUE)SO THAT SCRATCHES WOULDN"T SHOW. IT RUNS WELL WITH BIG BLOCKS, BUT SITS LOW AS HECK AT REST. AT THE BOAT SHOW IN FORT LAUDERDALE, PEOPLE WERE ALWAYS CALLING US TO SAY THAT OUR BOAT WAS SINKING.

MAYBE A COUPLE OF STRONG SMALL BLOCKS.

BROWNIE

AVickers
02-13-2001, 03:33 PM
I agree... A pair of hot small blocks would certainly allow it to float higher in the water.

In fact, I watched a late '70 or early '80s TRS-equipped BB 28' SS sink right out from under a guy and his girlfriend. The rear hatch was off for some repairs (I guess), but he had her out anyway. As he was coming in to the dock, someone cut him off and he quickly pulled off the throttles. The backwash simply filled her up and down she went! No one hurt, but what a sight!

anotherScott
02-13-2001, 05:22 PM
I am in the process of doing my 1976 28' SS over, and will be replacing the 350's with 350's that have a greater thirst. People I have talked with say stay with the small blocks. Just my 04 cents. Good luck

Scott

Ross
02-13-2001, 07:27 PM
My 1978 28SS has 350's with TRS drives. During my search, those who seemed to be "in the know", stongly recommended the 350 set-up; the extra wt. for the extra hp. was not advisable. Joan Fries at Perf.Yacht Sales ,Dania,Florida is one of the individuals I talked with.

seano
02-14-2001, 02:28 PM
jag...I replied to your email, but I've misplaced your email address...send me a reply when you get a chance...BTW, My boat is in Hampton Bays and I'm generally at the shop on Saturdays if you ever want to come down.

I saw another 28 this summer in Shinnecock with 1-800-flatroof on the deck...been debating wheter to call the chap up...

perhaps you me and paulo will have to start a classic cigarette rally on long island!

BTW, Brownie, great work...I have a feeling if it wasn't for you there's alot of stuff we wouldn't be here talking about...and I have one Aronow question for you...To the best of your knowledge, did Aronow Powerboats ever build a 32' boat? I have a friend across the pond looking at one in Italy...the plate says it is a 32' boat.

Thanks all