PDA

View Full Version : Need ADVICE ASAP On 22' Classic Purchase

FonziDonzi
08-28-2000, 10:07 PM
Im coming to you guys with a deep hope in my gut that this boat is not only a deal, but maybe a STEAL. Well here goes..... My dad owns an 18' classic, and ive always loved Donzi. Of course I always wanted my own, but being young I could never afford 1. I spotted a 1985 22' in the paper with an aluminum trailer for $9,000. Went out to take a look at it tonite in dim light, and was pleasantly surprised with the condition. Gelcoat bright, new upholstery, trailer in good shape.....but, there's ALWAYS a but......its UNDERPOWERED...400 CI chevy. Im guessing this is why its being sold so cheap. In its current state, the owner said it will do about 55, but is it worth the 9k as it sits??? Everything is original except for the motor, gelcoat, outdrive is an ALPHA 1 mercruiser I was told. If 9k is a good price, repowering shouldnt be that difficult, and it would be done right the second go around if I did it. Please advise ASAP guys as to your opinions on this boat as I am trying to cut a deal with the owner ASAP. Thank you as always.
JEFF

------------------
78 Donzi X18
350 chevy
"Suckin gas & haulin ass"
Bad Ass Boys Drive Bad Ass Toys

BigGrizzly
08-28-2000, 11:05 PM
here is a answer. 55mph isn't that slow. In my 22-- at 55mph-- i can go confortably in almost any water condition, whereas in my 18 i need to read the water and drive accordingly. now the big question! if you hop it up as all of us have or will., you need to know the Alpha has horspower limits. even with the trick hardened gears and big drive shaft, a 500hp big block will eat it up if not treated gently. A small block with about 400hp and built up alpha may last and do about 60-65 on a good day--yeah i have a friend who's boat will go *****mph. you have heard this one. if 70 mph is what you want it will take a 502ci/500+hp and a bravo/volvo sx/omc cobra out drive. If a elagent style and a great ride with a significant other is what you desire, then this is the boat for you. your dad will love it. i use my 22 to style and my 18 blast off and jump PWC wakes. in short only you can decide. if it feels good -do it if it doesn't then walk away-there will be another one. best of luck---after 35 years DONZI is the only way to go!!!

Owen
08-28-2000, 11:25 PM
Just a little voice of experience here.
NEVER, I MEAN NEVER EVER NEVER. Make a decision based on looking at a boat in dim
light. The same goes for dating women.

FonziDonzi
08-28-2000, 11:30 PM
I agree 100% owen, thats why I'm going back tomorrow to look over the hull again, and wednesday he's "splashing" it in for us to take a test drive. Thank you for the replies so far, but noone has said anything about the price??????
JEFF

------------------
78 Donzi X18
350 chevy

ARKZI
08-29-2000, 01:20 AM
In Missouri there is a 1999 454/MAG/EFI w/trailer(steel) new on the lot with 1.5 hrs for 39500. this also had silent choice.
If you jacked with them you could probally get it for 35000. There were also some poor craftmanship issues.

I found one in Florida 1996/454MAG/4BBL/BV1/CD/AM/FM Aluminum trailer 2 covers/ VERY VERY close to MINT condition better than the one above at the dealer. The HR meter said 72.5 ?????

I paid 26000 for it. I don't know if that was good or not. I have wanted a 22 for 15+ yrs
and these were the only two I have ever seen but I live in Northwest Arkansas. It runs great I have put 50 fast fast hours on it and one trim pump (190.00)

I had a cool boss that always said " a good deal is a state of mind " .

I smile everyday when I see it !

chris

Owen
08-29-2000, 01:57 AM
If its an 85, its got a Model 1-MR. Alphas were introduced in '86. I would say the price is a little
high. But I ALWAYS say the price is alittle high. You are also in the years (85-88) when there was a huge demand for run-abouts. Quality sometimes got lost in all that demand. If you're already thinking about repowering, this isn't the boat. There's plenty of beautiful hulls around w/o engines that sellers will practically give away. If you're looking for a steal of a deal, then look for the "situation buy." This is a 30 something neurotic male who loved his machine but, there's a baby on the way. You'll be able to tell a real situation buy when you spot the color coded spark plug wires and an engine/bilge you can eat off of. The owner also tends to shake and whimper alot while you dicker with the price.

[This message has been edited by Owen (edited 08-29-2000).]

Stan
08-29-2000, 10:01 AM
I bought my 18 2+3 with no engine or outdrive. A good learning experience the first time around. If I could find a 22 in the same condition I'd be a very happy camper. If anyone knows of any 22's for sale like that ...keep me in mind...although I'm sure there is a long line of you guys in front of me !!

Stan

RickR
08-29-2000, 10:32 AM
If you don't buy her, email me http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

GEOO
08-29-2000, 12:20 PM
A 22 Donzi needs a Big Block and a Bravo Drive. You'll need to repower with a new package. GEOO

Murphy
08-29-2000, 07:55 PM
My 1986 22 with Alpha 1 and Tempest 300 (350SB, 300 hp) gives me about 64 mph. I'm hoping with upgraded cam, pistons, manifold and conversion to 4" exhaust I can tickle 70 next summer. That ain't bad for a small block that runs all day on $30 and can pull a skiers arms out of their sockets. The Alpha's the limiting factor for me. Big Grizzly mentions an upgrade gear set and shaft for the Alpha. Anybody know a source for these?

Thanks,

Murph

roadtrip
08-30-2000, 12:21 AM
I am enjoying the 22 acquisition search, hence the reason for my handle, but that is a subject for another post. I should have mine very soon.
Search and find the boat with the right power and a bravo drive. An alpha will gernade on the back of this boat with any rough use; and why do you want to worry about it because it will happen at the worst time.
I recently drove a 22 with a 454 magnum. It is a matter of opinion, but this would be the minimum power that I would consider for this boat. It drove to about 68 mph. Anything less would be like kissing your sister...
Mine will have the 502. Good luck.

Blewbyu
08-30-2000, 03:47 AM
Do you want it? Can you live w/55 'till the A-1 grenades(mebbe 1 hr/mebbe 20 yrs)?When it does,or sooner,sounds like you are willing to repower.You can always find a collection of big engines/outdrives new and used in boattrader.In my book-that's a helluva good price.In the Northwest,we have to break out 10K or more for a good 18 footer.The market in Florida is such that you could buy for less.Bet there aren't a bunch of Donzi's in Chicago burbs???Slap your money down dude(unless daylight proves it to have bad stringers/decks/floors)and badly chipped gelcoat......you can run Lake Michigan in that puppy without breaking a sweat.I'd be happy to buy it without an engine,for that price, where I live!

Blewbyu
09-01-2000, 04:13 AM
Weeeeeeeeelll.......didja do it???????If so-howzit go???Keep us posted....
Jeff(The other one)

FonziDonzi
09-01-2000, 05:18 PM
Hello everyone!
I just got a chance to finally get online and I'd like to start off by thanking each 1 of you for your deep knowledge of these boats, it was in fact the repowering that worried me most, and in fact, many of you salidified that with your comments. After careful inspection of the boat the second day in bright light, we decided to take a pass on it. A couple things I did not mention previous to my post was that the owner of this boat also had a 1978 20' cigarette boat for sale at the same time with this donzi that I was inquiring about. Not a big deal right, well, the owner was probably in his late 60s early 70s. His reason for selling/stories did not jive with what we saw and concluded on the boats history. We determined in our own minds that he was probably a back yard dealer/"fixer-uper". The boat had a patch on the starboard side of the boat, near the engine cover on the deck. Numerous stress cracks underneath the boat, running the length of the strakes, (some patched/others left). Numerous other small chips filled on the underside of the hull, not to mention near the very front of the boat, on the keel, it was worn thru to the fiberglass (about 10" long). The interior also proved stress as well. After lifting the carpet up toward the front bucket seats in the corners the fiberglass was chipped and cracked. Also running along the back seat where your feet would go, 1 of the owners (guess who) glued down a piece of white cove molding to cover up GOD KNOWS WHAT!? Now, after questioning the owner on a few things, we determined he was a pretty lousy bull$hitter. When asked how much he paid, he said $16, and he only owned it 2 years, and made several improvements on the boat(chrome vents, carpet to name a couple) What didnt make sense at all was the fact that he hadnt even burned 1 tank of gas he said, and hadnt changed the oil (which proved to be clean after removing dipstick). So after gathering that knowledge, you could either believe his story, or make your own. Well, we made our own, and think in our own minds he's a backyard dealer. Anyways, the search continues. The 22' was going to be a boat for my father and I to share cost and responsibility over, but now that im thinking more about it, he is more suited for his 18, and for my first donzi, I think a SWEET 16 would probably suit my wilder taste better. So I will probably continue to look, but for a 16, so if any of you have 1 , or know of 1 for sale, drop me an email. Again, thank you very much for all the info, it is greatly appreciated.
JEFF

------------------
78 Donzi X18
350 chevy

Tony
09-01-2000, 10:33 PM
Fonzi,

'75 Corsican for sale in the Detroit area. TRS drive, original gel-coat, rebuilt 350 in '93, brand new Continental trailer, SS prop, Bennett tabs, 65 mph. Built only 3 Corsicans in '75, two yellow and this one... blue with a black pinstripe. Fresh water only, rack stored. Asking $12,000 for it. Let me know if you're interested and I'll hook you up with the guys e-mail and phone number.

[This message has been edited by Tony (edited 09-03-2000).]