PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Brownie.

Formula Jr
02-12-2001, 01:45 PM
Allan, there is very little written about
Walt Walters. Can you tell us anything about him.

ALLAN BROWN
02-12-2001, 03:41 PM
WALT WALTERS WAS THE ARCHITECT WHO DREW ALL OF THE WYNNE/WALTERS BOATS IN THOSE DAYS. HE IS A FINE, INTELLIGENT MAN WHO ENJOYS THE SHADOWS. WHEN WYNNE AND ARONOW HAD THEIR FIGHT, WALTERS STAYED WITH DON, AND DREW THE BOATS AFTER THEY WERE BUILT. DON COULDN'T DRAW JACK *&%#, BUT HE HAD A GREAT MIND, AND A GOOD EYE. MUCH OF THE LATER STUFF WAS BUILT FROM CONVERSATIONS AND BAR NAPKIN SKETCHES. IF I CAN FIND THE PICTURES, SOME OF THEM WERE WILD, LIKE THE "SUPERMOTHER". WALT WORKED (WORKS?) FOR AQUASPORT FOR THE LAST SEVERAL YEARS.

DonziDave
02-12-2001, 06:54 PM
Another question for Allan.
Allan - Saw an earlier post by you talking about your involvement with SuperNova.
In the mid-seventies, I bought a 1972(title year) - 22' SuperNova form Holman Moody here in Charlotte. It was one of the best boats I have ever owned. Should never have sold it! The styling was so good that even today you would think it was a current "Euro" design. Wrap around windshield that transitioned to a fiberglass bolster that rolled down to the gunwales. Port helm position with two 2+2 seats (4 across) in front, two single seats in stern, and a padded seat on the engine box. Engine was a H/M 427 v-drive.
What can you tell me about the history of this fabulous boat. Who designed, model types, years, etc.
Thanks - Dave Hollifield

ALLAN BROWN
02-13-2001, 08:14 AM
I DESIGNED IT AND BUILT ABOUT FIFTY OF THEM. THAT ONE WAS FOR MY FRIEND (AND LATER BOSS) JOHN HOLMAN OF HOLMAN MOODY. IT WASN'T 22 FEET, IT WAS 19'. I GUESS IT WAS JUST ABOUT THE BIGGEST 19' RUNABOUT EVER BUILT, 4 ASSES WIDE.

BROWNIE

DonziDave
02-13-2001, 09:35 AM
Brownie - A tip of the old french curve from a fellow Architect! Your design of that boat transends period dating and remains as fresh today as when you made it. The mark of true talent.
You are right, it was a 19'. It had so much beam it felt and rode as if it was much larger. Sorry I let it go - big mistake!
Do you know of of one in good shape that might be for sale?
I have several pictures of my SuperNova that I could scan and send to you if don't have any. Just let me know.
Thanks - Dave

Formula Jr
02-13-2001, 03:06 PM
Brownie, Looking at photos of the Wyn-Mil II, it looks like there is no hull to deck seam. Was this made using a one time Male Contact Mold Process for layup. If so, why is there all this talk about a wood plug being "Left Over." Please tell me anything on how this boat was made. Also, Wynne later on, said that "Fiberglass hates to be flat". Does this mean that all wetted surfaces should have some sort of slight convex curve?
Thanks in advance, Owen

ALLAN BROWN
02-14-2001, 10:51 AM
THE WYN-MIL WAS BUILT OF A NEW MATERIAL CALLED "TREE WOOD". YOU CAN ACTUALLY GO INTO THE FOREST AND CUT DOWN A TREE AND MAKE A BOAT. SERIOUSLY, I HELPED BUILD THE WYN-MIL IN HOWARD ABBEY'S SHOP IN NORTH MIAMI, I THINK IN 1962 OR 3. IF YOU ARE A RACE FAN, HOWARD BUILT ARONOW'S FIRST OFFSHORE BOAT, "CLAUDIA" (FOR HIS DAUGHTER). IT WAS BUILT WITH 3 327 CRUSADER CHEVYS, AND WAS THE FASTEST BOAT FOR THE 1962 MIAMI-NASSAU RACE (60 MPH). THE WEEK BEFORE THE RACE, THEY REPOWERED WITH 2 409 CRUSADERS AND LOST 10 MPH. HE FINISHED FOURTH OR 5TH ON ONE ENGINE. HOWARD ALSO BUILT "OH, MONA!", THE BEST F-SERVICE RUNABOUT IN THE COUNTRY (BEFORE "DANCING BEAR" BLEW HIS DOORS OFF).

Looped
02-14-2001, 11:41 AM
Brownie or anyone,
Have you ever heard of the Racing boat name of the “Piccadilly Philli” before? It was something like a 30’ Sutphin back in the late 70’s early 80’s or so sponsored by Piccadilly Pub (http://www.picpub.com). I used to go over to the owner’s house “Ron Tocci Sr.” and see it in the garage, but I was not into the boat racing seen at the time so I didn’t know jack about it. I now hang with the throttle guy “Johnny Hahn” that I sometimes pick his brain on things.

Just a thought,
Craig

ALLAN BROWN
02-14-2001, 12:15 PM
TOTAL BLANK FOR ME.

ALLAN BROWN
02-16-2001, 07:18 AM
POODLE, THAT AIN'T AN SK, IT IS M-00. "M" IS THE LETTER FOR F-SERVICE.

AB

ALLAN BROWN
02-19-2001, 07:39 AM
YEP