PDA

View Full Version : Problem with 1996 Merc 350 MPI Gen2, Help!!

tidbitnh
08-28-2000, 12:27 PM
I have a 96 18 classic w/300hp Merc. I have an intermittent problem with the fuel injection. It started a couple of weeks ago after a long hard day of pounding. It is a 2 part problem, the engine would rev between 500-1100 rpms on its own, whether in neutral or in gear and it would also cutout momentarily at higher rpms like it was running out of gas. At lower rpms, the computer was searching for some reason. I disconnected the computer for a while, checked for water in the fuel, (none), and the problems was gone for a couple of weeks. It started again the other day. This time I shut off the main power switch and the problem was gone the next day when I took it for a cruise. I must have faulty sensor somewhere but am not sure where to start looking. Any suggestions, solutions, or similar problems??

GeneD
08-28-2000, 05:08 PM
Big Fella,
The beauty of the MPI is that since it is computer controlled, diagnotics are relatively simple.
You need to get the diagnostic plug in computer and figure out the codes.
We have a code book for that motor, so get the tool and find out what is happening.
Not to worry...too much!

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Crazy Horse
08-28-2000, 06:09 PM
Misery deserves Company.
I have been having the same problem with my '96 2+3. If you figure out what the problem is would you please let me know?
I'll do the same but won't be back to the boat for a week. Also, when the problem occurs does your trim tab gauge jump around too? Mine does...

tidbitnh
08-29-2000, 07:18 AM
Nevermind the following. I took it out today for lunch and the problem occurred again. Can you say DIAGNOSTICS? WILL FOLLOW-UP WITH RESULT.
I took it out last night and gave it a good push and the problem started again. I consulted a neighbor who has been boating all his life and took him for a ride. He said he had a similar problem a couple of years ago with his Cigarette. While the problem was occurring, I shut off the boat. He then grabbed and moved the main wiring harness connector. Then we started the boat and the problem was gone for the moment. Figuring the connector was a good place to start I went home, pulled apart the connector, cleaned the terminals, and put it back together. I did notice the hose clamp on the connector wasn't really tight when I took it apart. Anyway, I took it out and beat on it for a while, and the problem is gone, at least for now. With all the pounding it took at Winnepesaukee during the poker run, it makes sense that something was shaken loose. I will go the computer route next if the problem comes back, but I think this was it. Crazy Horse, I don't have a gauge on my tabs. Try the harness connector first. I have a feeling your problem may dissappear. Thanks for your input, guys!!

[This message has been edited by tidbitnh (edited 08-29-2000).]

tidbitnh
09-05-2000, 08:29 AM
Problem solved. I had to bring it to Goodhue-Hawkins on Thursday. They found no error codes. They did find a couple of vacuum leaks on the intake manifold and replaced the cap and rotor. The leaks were throwing the computer into momentary disarray. I am glad the problem is cleared. I wasn't exactly thrilled at the labor cost but what you gonna do. Crazy Horse, they told me that your problem was different than mine. Good luck.