PDA

View Full Version : Hydrofoils

Murphy
02-11-2001, 08:32 PM
I looked through the archives and there are only a couple of general comments about hydrofoils. What's there is positive in terms of handling and stability. I'd like to hear comments, especially from 22 Classic owners about the benefits. Also be interested in knowing what you're using and how satisfied you are in terms of perfomance, durability, etc.

Thanks,

Murph

Tom on Lanier
02-11-2001, 09:50 PM
Murph - There are several variations of hydrofoils on the market. I have experience with most of them. Different styles do different things for, or to, the boat but, generally, you could say there are some benefits for many boats. The benefits are mostly for boats with marginal power in that they help keep the bow down during acceleration and get the boat on plane faster.They can also help stability. Often there is slight a reduction in top speed and they put a hellacious load on the anti-ventilation plate - some more than others.
I have a 22'Classic and have no inclination to put a hydrofoil on that boat. The boat has lots of power and the trim tabs basically do what a hydrofoil would do, and they are adjustable.

------------------
Tom
"Tomahawk"