PDA

View Full Version : Shepherd Donzi

Ross
02-10-2001, 08:01 PM
Anyone know the history behind the Shepherd Donzi's built in Canada?? What years,models,etc. Was this set-up as a licencing agreement or did Shepherd make them for Donzi? Are the boats exactly the same? Just interested.
http://www.donzi.net/shepdonzi.jpg

[This message has been edited by harbormaster (edited 02-12-2001).]

boxy
02-11-2001, 08:23 PM
I'll have to check with an old River Rat buddy of my Dad's tomorrow, but if I had to guess right now, I'd say you were off by about 15-20 years. I'm sure DOnzi's have been imported striaght from whatever factory was making them for quite awhile, I'd be willing to bet that Shepard made Donzi's sometime between '66 and '76, but what do I know, it's -20 below, and I spent the day shoveling the snow, and ice off of my roof.

------------------
boxy
mailto:sboxma@sprint.casboxma@sprint.ca</A>
Smuggler's Cove
1000 Islands
Ontario

boxy
02-11-2001, 09:05 PM
Nice storm, do you use that big dome for boat storage. Up here we use them for salt storage.(no MadPoodle, not Margarita salt)

------------------
boxy
Smuggler's Cove
1000 Islands
Ontario

ALLAN BROWN
02-12-2001, 11:20 AM
JIM HAHN, PRESIDENT OF SHEPHERD, TOOK THE LICENCE IN 1966, AND BUILT THEM UNTIL HE SOLD OUT. HE WAS A FIRST CLASS BUILDER.

BROWNIE

boxy
02-12-2001, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the answer Brownie. How long did they build them for. I was pretty sure Shepherd built a first class Donzi, not a mass marketed knock-off.

------------------
boxy
Smuggler's Cove
1000 Islands
Ontario

Edward Donnelly
02-14-2001, 01:01 AM
It was a licence agreement. A lot of them came with 260C.I. Fords with Eaton outdrives.I am not sure but I think they were built from the late 60's to early 70's

Danny
02-14-2001, 02:26 PM
Ross
Where was that picture taken?
Is it taken at Bay Mooring in Penetanguishene before the renovations?
Danny

Ross
02-14-2001, 09:41 PM
Danny, you are right! this picture was taken in the late 70's. I believe this boat was 1 of the original 2 Donzi's in the Honey Harbour/Cognashene area. I can remember these boats coming into the store (mid to late 60's) and thinking Someday!! A little trip down memory lane.
That is an Eaton o/d hanging on the back and I am pretty sure an Interceptor under the hatch.

Danny
11-20-2001, 06:58 PM
Ross, saw this boat at Hewitt`s in Honey Harbour. I think this boat was included in the chatels when Thibadeau Island sold. Don`t think he knew what he had, but he clued in after numerous inquiries about wanting to sell it. Going to Honey Harbour this week, I`ll find out more.

Danny

http://www.donzi.net/photos/dkeefe15.jpg

Danny
11-23-2001, 02:06 PM
Ross
Was in Honey Harbour today and talked to Jamie Hewitt. He said the boat is a 63 but that can't be right. said it had a 260ci GM??? but according to Boxy the 260 was a ford.The boat wasn't there so I couldn't look the engine. He didn't think the engine was original, had been replaceda couple of times and it originally had an Eaton drive, it's now a 270 Volvo.
The guy who now owns it has it cottage just north east of mine and he is only the second owner.
Supposedly Rob Gropp knows the history of this particular boat.
Danny

shayward
02-28-2010, 11:23 PM
The boat you are talking about in the Penetang/Honey harbour area was originally owned by Hub Skeats. He purchased it from Dawson's in Keswick. The boat was registered in March of 1966 It had a 260 cui 165hp Interceptor in it and an Eaton out drive. The boat was white with baby blue stripes.
Hub also owned a Moppi called Hood IV
The boat was left as a chattel with the cottage when Hub sold it, and the gentleman who owned it had some restoration work done on it at Hewitts. In addition the original engine was removed and totally manufactured. The original Eaton drive was replaced at BayMoorings in the 60's with a Volvo 270 which also had power trim.
Hewitts replaced the fuel tank, and painted it in Imron?? which didn't hold up that well. I bought the boat, and did a hull reinforcement in the aft end. The stringers were still good, but there was additional reinforcement needed. I also had to sort out a dangerous electric fuel pump modification, wrong voltage to the distributor, lack of a battery mount area and other things. I had known the boat from the mid 60's as I was a kid drooling over it, and finally bought it when I was in my 50's.
The boat was very cool, sounded amazing, ran well, was not very fast, and extremely uncomfortable. My neighbor wanted it, gave me a good offer, and still owns it. It lives close to Snow Valley ski resort, and hasn't been in the water in the last year. I think he would sell it, but he has spent some money getting it re gelled. I have since picked up a FourWinns U17 and love it.
If anyone wants to get hold of me, I can be reached at
shayward@mail.transdata.ca

Rob M
02-28-2010, 11:38 PM
Is this the boat?

jl1962
03-01-2010, 07:10 AM
Cool picture.

I've always wondered about this 1976 18' w/ Canadian flag decal
http://antiqueboat.com/boatdetails/nixo18.aspx

Could this have been made in Canada? Sorry for the slight hijack.

JL

Tony
03-01-2010, 10:23 AM
Jay, in my opinion, that yellow and black Donzi you linked is VERY sharp looking!

:beer:

Boatnuts
03-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Shayward is pretty much right on the years that Hub S. owned the boat except no mention of it sinking one night after hitting a rock in the Muskoka Landing Channel. Generally speaking there were quality issues with Shepherd Donzis which caused the split with Donzi. Shepherd were starting to use chopper guns and an undesired layup routine. Back in time there were several blank hulls that were pawned off. Some without decks. Most who are familiar with original 1960's Donzis can point out the discrepancies on a below deck inspection.

Ross
03-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Wow, That's a bit of Georgian Bay history. Boatnuts was it the Donzi or the Moppie that hit a rock? Seems to me I remember a story of a Townsend Is. "dark and stormy night" rescue of the crew of the moppie.
I am also sure I can remember the folks at HHBW telling of the Moppie continuously taking on water because the stuffing boxes would over heat if tightened too tight ,but would leak if left too loose.
Boatnuts, I also think your 16' was one of the original GB Donzi's, was it not?

Boatnuts
03-12-2010, 03:33 PM
In the later 60's, Dr Lahey's 31foot "Moppie" hit somewhere north of Newton Rock at night in storm. They abandoned the boat and it pounded on the rocks untill it was high and dry with a sizeable hole in it's belly. Sceats' Donzi hit the shoals between our island and Beck's, ripping the outdrive off the back causing it to sink. That was in the later 70's. My 16 Donzi was what is supposed to have been the first in the area. Chisholm sold it to Bill Drinkwater during the winter and brought it up from Florida on one of his Muskoka trips in 1965. I was awed the first time I saw it that summer. I bought it Feb. 1974, 2 days after I got married.

barrieM5
06-21-2012, 04:14 PM
I know this is an old thread, but just today ( June 21, 2012) I met the daughter of Mr. Hahn , the President of Shepherd boats ! I was at a boat repair shop here in Kelowna, BC with my '88 Donzi Minx and a lady comes running up to me shouting " you have a Donzi, you have a Donzi" ! She introduced heself as the daughter of the former president of Shepherd boats and said that her Dad had built/modified Donzi's in the early days out of their factory in Niagara on the Lake.

At first, I was certain she was mixed up as I'd never heard that Donzi's were made anywhere else but Florida ! But she spent some time telling me about her Dad taking her out for rides in the family Shepherd/Donzi and also to the factory with him on weekends ! I believe they had a cottage on Lake of Bays in Ontario....

I asked her if her Dad was still living ...but I believe she said he died last year ( 2011) and also asked her if she could dig out any old photos. I gave her my business card....so hopefully...she'll call me !

If she does, I'll be sure to post them here ! I used to live in Ontario and had a cottage near Honey Harbour at Waubashene so the fact that early Donzi's were built in Ontarion has a special connection for me !

MOP
06-21-2012, 06:58 PM
I noticed a mention of chopper guns! Quite a few Donzi's wer also chopper gun boats!

Boatnuts
06-27-2012, 02:05 PM
What years are you talking about MOP?
To the best of my knowledge, not in the Chisolm years.
None of the 4 that me and my brothers have had were.