PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tires

Rootsy
06-30-2002, 09:56 AM
What tires do you prefer? seems like i suddenly need at least one since i had a small catastrophe on my way to larger real estate last night... so much for saturday night testing... least i didn't hurt anything! and thank god my neighbors boat trailer had a spare hangin on the front of it...

Thank ya kids!

Jamie

CDMA
06-30-2002, 10:16 AM
My 18 rolls has Carlisles on it. Good so far no issues. 5000+++ miles

My 22 has Goodyear marathon radials. Only about 1000 miles so far but I like them better.

a) look nicer
b) corner better
c) seem to ride "softer"

Chris

Tony
06-30-2002, 11:44 AM
My 16 also has Carlisles, and so far so good. Twice to Kentucky, four times to northern Michigan, and many trips to the west coast (of Michigan).

They seem to ride real well, and hold pressure in all conditions. Good Luck!

Stan
07-02-2002, 12:48 PM
I had a blow out @ 60 mph on the way to Lake Havasu Memorial weekend. Changed the spare and off we went.

Lessons learnt:

1. ALWAYS ALWAYS carry a spare tire

2. Unless you have done work on your trailer in the past, take your lug nut wrench and by hand, loosen and retighten each and every nut on each wheel. Now you are guaranteed YOU will be able to change the tire if needed.

When I had my blowout, I couldn’t get 2 of the nuts off. The nuts were frozen on. ( I needed AAA service ) Most tire stores use an impact gun or a gorilla to tighten the lug nuts.

3. Get AAA… PLUS + RV Auto Club Service.
AAA………gives me roadside service
PLUS…….. gives me 100 miles towing for free
RV……….. means they’ll tow the boat ( or RV ) as well for the 100 miles.

The alternator went out on the Tahoe 2 years ago. I needed to be towed about 30 miles @ 7 pm on a Sunday. AAA came out, saw my card, put the Tahoe on a flat bed and hooked the Donzi to the rear hitch of the tow truck and off we went……….no charge.
( the alternator was another story )

( my Jaguar is only allowed to go 100 miles or less from home ! )

Live and Learn

Stan

Stan
07-02-2002, 12:54 PM
How are trailer tires different from car tires ? Can good car tires be used on a trailer ?

There are better deals on car tires than trailer tires out there.

Stan

22 Classic w /454 dual axel

Formula Jr
07-02-2002, 04:23 PM
No, absolutely do not use car tires on a trailer unless you're just splashing from the neiborhood launch. ST tires are of different design. They have thicker side walls and are made to sit for long periods and then run. Take a car tire, park the trailer with boat for the winter and then in spring, tow 200 miles @ 50 mph and I promise you the thing will delaminate.

I got some Nankings - supposed to be the best. So far no problems. The Carls can't take what I do to them.

Tidbart
07-03-2002, 06:27 AM
Stan,
I agree with the others, use tires rated for trailers. Surf the net for discount tires. I found very good deals on my Goodyear Marathons.
A couple of spots are: tirerack.com, tires.com...
Compare prices on several sites plus the cost of shipping and you will do OK. I saved a ton over any local dealer, even after mounting and balancing.
Bob