PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Options?

EricG
02-07-2001, 04:54 PM
I think I've finally found the trailer I'm going to order, but I'm curious if any of you have opinions on the two biggest options?

What would be the real advantage of disk brakes over drum brakes? And Torsion Bar Suspension instead of Springs?

I'm wondering if the added price is really worth it?

Thanks.
EG

PaulO
02-07-2001, 05:12 PM
If all disk brakes are like those used by Rolls, they are designed to work better and more importantly, last longer. The truth is that drum brakes only last a year or two before you need to do something to them. The disk brakes use aluminum calipers with boots to keep the salt out of the piston bores and stainless rotors. The downside is that you need to let them cool off before you dip the trailer or you will have warped rotors. Probably worth the money. As far as the torsion axles, again using Rolls as an example, they have no ferrous metal parts so they should last just about forverer. Leaf springs are made with spring steel and cannot be successfully coated because of flex and interference. They will rot away in several years of salt water use.
PaulO

BigGrizzly
02-07-2001, 07:00 PM
I chamged to from drums to disks on mu Criterion trailer and noticed a big difference. I have stainless rotors. they cool off fine in the time it takes to put in the drain plug in Havn't had any trouble with mine. My trailer has torsion axels and there fine as far as I can tell.

Randy

RickR
02-07-2001, 08:23 PM
The suspension on both my Rolls Trailers was not Torsion. It is a piston/cylinder apparatus with a rubber damper in the cylinder unique to Rolls.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Torsion Axles were galvanized steel?

Sure ruins your day when a leaf spring breaks on your boat trailer. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif
Been there, done that.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Blewbyu
02-08-2001, 10:30 PM
Pay extra for both for the above mentioned reasons.Further-disc brakes dry immediately on application(after immersion)and offer much more stopping power and are more linear in stopping.Do buy radials-but be sure they are designated ST.Stands for "Special Trailer",and they have sidewalls with a 6 ply rating that eliminate "squirm".Squirm allows trailer to sway side to side and causes extreme wear and heat buildup.Normal radials don't cut it on a trailer.

EricG
02-09-2001, 10:28 AM
Thanks for all of the great info.....Now I just have to place the order (with Disks and Torsion Suspension)!!

EG

BigGrizzly
02-09-2001, 05:53 PM
Guys Northern Hydraulics sells steel torsion axels exactlly like the ones on my trailer for 184 a axel. Mine are galvanized thoe.

Randy

BigGrizzly
02-09-2001, 10:13 PM
Thanks Scott, I want one for mu other boat.

Randy

EricG
02-11-2001, 11:52 AM
Madpoodle, I can do you one better on the great trailer deals....last summer I picked up a 2250# EZLoader with only slight surface rust for FREE!! A friend that lives on Lake Washington (2 million dollar plus home!), was getting married and she didn't want the trailer sitting in the driveway for the wedding....if only my Z was about 2000# lighter.....

EG

Forrest
02-12-2001, 10:03 AM
As I understand it, Rolles Axle sells it's suspension system as a retrofit for other trailers. From my observation, the Rolles suspension is both superior and simpler than torsion axles, and will out last any trailer.

BTW RickR, Costal Trailer located on US 98 between Panacea and Medart (Florida panhandle), now sells and stocks Rolles trailers. I haven't yet had a chance to stop by to check their pricing though.

------------------
Forrest