PDA

View Full Version : Sigh.....

harbormaster
06-29-2002, 07:37 PM
http://www.donzi.net/photos/forcast.jpg

Donzi Blackhawk
06-29-2002, 07:56 PM
Scot, I don't get it? Your boat won't melt if it gets wet. Run that bad boy! In Florida, nothing short of a cat. 5 hurricane will stop some people from going boating.

Bad-Tat
06-29-2002, 08:00 PM
Hey Scott!!!
PM showers just means start early in the morning!!!

Rootsy
06-29-2002, 08:42 PM
only 40%? that means there is a 60% chance of NO RAIN... c'mon play the odds!

ToonaFish
06-29-2002, 10:05 PM
Oh Scot, I so feel your pain... my two boating days this week were rained out. (And stop giving him grief about getting wet - respecting lightning, surf, and wind isn't wimpy!)

But hey, I made my first all homegrown salsa tonight thanks to the abundance of water, so it ain't all bad...

Bunches,

Celene "wishing she had even a farmer's tan..."

Cuda
06-30-2002, 12:24 AM
Here in Florida, if you don't go because they are calling for T-storms, you won't go between June and October. We went out this evening, and a bad storm came up. We just headed to the nearest waterfront restaurant ate, and by the time we were done, the water was smooth as glass. Then we ran out in the Gulf down the beach a bit, and pulled into Gator's on the Pass, then came back to the dock. It was a great evening, one of the most pleasurable I've spent on the water in a while. We would have missed it all if we had been swayed by the weather report.

Scott Pearson
06-30-2002, 06:01 AM
Thats nothing...You should have attended the Lake George Dust Off. Talk about rain!

(NJ)Scott

boldts
06-30-2002, 08:19 PM
Scot,
Hope you didn't blow off going boating. We had a 40% chance of rain in KY this weekend, and after a shower has I drove into Russel Springs (North of Jamestown) the rain cleared out and the 60% took over. Had a wonderful weekend with Todd Somerville and Scott Dabbs from TX. Finally had the opportunity to run my 22 at WOT. She's only turning 4200 at a speedo reading of 72 MPH. Sorry, I forgot the GPS at home. Todd, Scott and I are convinced that some prop tuning is in order. My 22 rides like a BlackHawk Classic until you get her up over 60 MPH then the porposing settles down and she gets up and runs. Found the former owner on the lake Saturday in a 32' Fountain. Was very surprised to find that they were very nice people and not the usual my Fountain is nicer and bigger than your Donzi so I can't talk to you attitude that is usually encountered. Also found the former engine that was in my Classic, but now it's in a larger Checkmate. My Classic used to have a 502 Procharged engine in her running over 80 MPH. All I know is that engine in the Checkmate sounded very nice! Have the name of the performance shop who built the engine, so I will be inquiring on what all was done to my boat before my purchase. Life was good and Saturday evening at the dam is the place to be!

oldLenny
06-30-2002, 09:34 PM
... :rolleyes: "sea surface temperature...83 degrees..." Man oh man. Here the water is 43 degrees in the summer and about 41-42 in the winter.

You guys could cook pasta in that stuff :D

Scot, go out in your boat, screw the weather. You are fortunate enough to have one,...and this site. Go use it, and DON'T come back 'till you are all grins. Then tell us what it was like. :D

Big water is fun...never forget

HyperDonzi
06-30-2002, 09:44 PM
dont be like my neighbor, bought a 40,000$ chaparral in1999 and only has 35 hours on it, he is always looking at the sky saying "hmmmm they said showers possible on tuesday, maybe they came a week eary" real boaters dont check the weather, just go and have fun, if it rains, it rained if not think about how much yu would have missed out on.

harbormaster
06-30-2002, 10:09 PM
Sorry guys but good judgement dictates that you don't take an unfamiliar boat out in raging thunder storms. I used to be an avid sailboater and the worse the weather, the more fun it was. However, we never took out an unfamilar boat in bad weather.

Today was fabulous. Read my other post.

Formula Jr
07-01-2002, 12:06 AM
Real boaters, do indeed, check the weather. On overcast summer days on The Bay, all the old timers carry a little AM pocket radio, tuned to a non station, and when that thing starts really crackling, you run like hell, to port or shielter.......you gotta remember WHERE Scot was running, even a donzi is no match for a sqwal line. eek!

mattyboy
07-01-2002, 09:30 AM
Scot that was the wise thing to do.
lightning is an incredible force.
I was in Dalls 2 years ago for training and got caught in a Texas Thunder storm!!! eek! eek!
rain is rain but lightning is a different story!

Matt

Bandit
07-01-2002, 11:28 AM
ScottB,

Glad you had a good time on Cumberland this past weekend. That 60% chance of sun definitely took over.

It was hot as @$%#$ Sat. as I rolled around in the cuddy of my Donzi but I managed to get my lights hooked back up so I can run to 76 Falls next weekend.

Sun. I enjoyed the sunshine and headed out on the houseboat and made it down between Jamestown and Connely Bottom before I turned back.

I think you're holding back on us, let's hear about the action at the Falls and in front of the Dam!!! :D

Harbormaster, I read your other post and I'm glad to hear she's running good and that your first mate has already taken over at the helm. Post more pics eek!

boldts
07-01-2002, 11:16 PM
Holding out? Tell ya the truth, we saw more water patrol this weekend than anything else. Friday evening as we got back to Jamestown, 6 patrol boats in a line were coming out. Every cove we went into had patrol boats coming through every 15 to 20 minutes.

Went to the falls Friday and almost got hit by a jetski with 2 cuties on it. She's asking me how to stop the thing as she heads for my blue hull instead of turning away. There were a bunch of houseboats with college parting going on.

Here's another interesting item we saw. Friday as I launched the Donzi, sitting at the dock with the engine hatch open and tools laying in the engine room, was a 28ZX with a single 500HP and get this, a BlackHawk drive attached. Pictures are being developed. Tried to catch up with this guy just to talk with him and see what he was thinking putting a BlackHawk on a 28ZX, but the guy didn't sit still at the dam and I got tired of trying to chase him down.

The boat we really were hoping to see at the dam was a yellow 50' Nortech cat sitting under cover at Jamestown. As we returned to Jamestown Saturday evening, they were loading the cats drives onto the water taxi for a trip to the repair shop.

Still a fun couple days and it was great to have someone experienced in driving fast performance boats in the cockpit with me. Todd took the wheel to see if maybe the porposing problem was something I was doing while driving. Todd couldn't get it out of the boat either and felt that my boat carried the bow much lighter than his 22, even with the boat trimmed all the way in. The boat seems to really love throttle. It will be fun getting her figured out this summer! Having thoughts of coming down for the Poker Run.

Bandit
07-02-2002, 06:39 AM
That's normal for the water patrol down on that end this time of year especially with the 4th right around the corner. Don't let them fool you, most were out training all the new greenhorns and taking pics of the women. :D

I've got a Board meeting 9 am Sat. and after that I'm off to the Falls for the day, fireworks at Jamestown that evening and then staying on some houseboats tied up in Harmon Creek.

Sat. forcast is sunny 85 high 64 low...just perfect!!!

Do you think Donzi Marina will pay 1/2 fees for this yrs. poker run?

roadtrip se
07-02-2002, 10:22 AM
Donzi eater at Cumberland - 50 foot Nortech

http://www.donzi.net/photos/tsomerville18.jpg

HyperDonzi
07-02-2002, 01:09 PM
in the summer of 2000, me and my dad found a bunch of cds and were returning them to the lost and found and decided to walk out on to the gas dock while were down there. our jaws both dropped to the floor. 50foot nodtec vee. we got to taling with the guy and he said 3 engines at 900 hp a piece. hecould go upper 90's and it took all three engines to get it on plane. i wish i had a camera that night.

HyperDonzi
07-02-2002, 01:11 PM
that was at cumberland state dock

Last Tango
07-04-2002, 11:14 AM
50 foot Nortech eater...40 foot trees floating in Cumberland Lake. Even the mighty are no match for floating trees.

Donzified
07-06-2002, 10:32 AM
"A day on the boat in the rain is better than no day on the boat at all"