PDA

View Full Version : DONZI PURCHASE

Don Carone
02-07-2001, 12:39 PM
I STILL NEED SOME TIPS ON BOAT I PLAN TO LOOK AT OVER THE WEEKEND. THE BOAT IS IN WISC, IT IS A SWEET 16 ASKING $5000.00 351W (IS THAT ORIG)
TILT AND TRIM, RED WITH WHITE, NEEDS INTERIOR (I HAVE A GUY ) SAYS IT RUNS GREAT BUT SOMETIMES THE TILT DOESNT WORK. I DO LIKE RESTORATION PROJECTS, IS THIS SOMTHING I SHOULD CONSIDER OR SHOULD I JUST TRUMP UP $10,000.00 AND GET ONE THATS DONE?? I THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ANY BOAT SHOPPING TIPS I GET.

PaulO
02-07-2001, 02:15 PM
Not to discourage or derail anyones sale but, my 2 cents is - buy the finished boat if you can find one that is finished correctly and the way you like it. I am in the process of selling my '73 18 for a least 4 grand less than I have into it not counting labor!!! I wish I would have bought one alot further along. It just does not pay. Prices for parts,drives and power are just too much. You never get back what you put into it (unless you get some really special deals on big ticket stuff) so, be on the receiving end. Plus, you get the bonus of going out and using it while the project boat sits in the garage for a year.
There is some wonderful satisfaction you get by doing it yourself but don't let yourself believe for one second that it will save you money. Also, the satisfaction will wane when your buddies are boating during that short season and you are not.
PaulO

Don Carone
02-07-2001, 03:18 PM
THIS WILL BE A SECOND BOAT. IM ALSO FOR SAVING OUR PAST. STILL LOOKING FOR SOME INSIDE TIPS

BERTRAM BOY
02-07-2001, 04:55 PM
Don,
It depends on what the boat needs, to figure out if it's worth your while. FInd out what parts are missing, because sometimes finding parts for vintage Donzi isn't exactly easy or inexpensive.
What year is the boat?
BERTRAM BOY

BigGrizzly
02-07-2001, 07:10 PM
Don, Im for saving the past also. My Corsican is rear and neet I have alot ofr time in it. My 22 Criterion was fine when I got it. However I have a special fondness for the Corsican, ITS MY BOAT, and I made that way. Some people say I could have made it better but I fixed it and painted it myself and thats that. I would do it again.

Randy

PaulO
02-08-2001, 08:38 AM
Don,
If you are looking to save the past then, spend whatever is necessary and love the effort. If you are asking if it is "worth it" to buy a resto project vs a completed boat, the answer is that it is not worth it unless you are getting some spectacular deal on the boat or the big items. Remember, buying a classic Donzi in great shape and maintaining it that way also "saves the past".
PaulO