PDA

View Full Version : Bellows replacement

Cuda
06-28-2002, 03:51 PM
I have to change the shift cable and put new bellows (drive and shift) on an alpha drive. Are there any hints that anyone can pass along that may be helpful? I have the parts already.

Rootsy
06-28-2002, 05:37 PM
PATIENCE!!! and keep the temper in check... they can be tricky... 1/4 inch drive, various length extensions up to 12 inches, and swivel shallow well sockets, not regular shallows with a u-joint behind... it is easier to get at the hose clamps taht way... begin with the shifter cable bellow, then the U-joint bellow, then the water hose then the exhaust bellow. put plenty of bellows adhesive on the end and let it setup before you try to move things around too much without the hose clamps tight... and make sure the hose clamp is on the flange all of the way... leaks in this area are no good, especially on the U-joint bellow... the first one i ever did took me about 8 hours.. after the first few times i managed to get a procedure and rythm down and managed it down to about 3 to 4 hours.. and make sure the water hose is the EXACT correct length.. not a little long or a little short... what was the gen I, 12 3/4, 12 5/8 or 12 1/2, i forget... sorry been a few years so i'm a bit foggy. and it helps if you can get it up about chest level to work on.. bending over or down on the knees all day will just tick you off! block of wood to hold the gimble up while you are workin in there helps also. AS well as SMALL hands...

Cuda
06-28-2002, 07:05 PM
Thanks Jamie, I think I remeber someone telling me you need special sockets to do the u joint bellows.