PDA

View Full Version : Mercruiser mechanic

Kelly Bell
06-28-2002, 02:48 PM
Can anyone recommend someone to work on the Mercruiser on my 22zx? I am in Michigan near Ann Arbor area. Thanks!

Rootsy
06-28-2002, 03:38 PM
what are you looking to have done to your zx? there are a lot of mercruiser factory authorized dealers around SE Michigan...

Kelly Bell
06-28-2002, 04:27 PM
I got the boat Friday from a Donzi dealer in Pennsylvania. It tested fine about three laps around my lake. I launched it Sunday, and it made it half way across the lake, stalled and never started again. I had a mobile mechanic look at it, he doesn't have the software needed for the engine and has been waiting to get it since Tuesday. He thinks it is a sensor or fuel injection system. All the marinas I have talked to are booked for about two weeks. Thanks.

Rootsy
06-28-2002, 06:00 PM
Kelly,

there are a few simple things you can check... there are some circuit breakers for the motor, red buttons with numbers like 50 on the end... push em in to reset them if they are popped otu for whatever reason, but get this checked immediately. i assume the motor turns over well but just won't start. does it try to start at all or does it just crank? might check the battery voltage, or both batteries if it has two.. isolate them and check em... i do not believe this will do it but check the oil level in the drive oil resevoir.. for this one others here would know better than i -- do the injected motors have a fuel shutoff? did the mechanic you had look at it check to see if the ignition was firing the plugs? did you check the kill switch lanyard on the shifter/throttle control? lastly, did the merc deafening siren warning buzzer go off BEFORE the motor quit?

secondly, is the boat still under the 5 year warranty? I forget what year bryan's 22 is. you have a donzi dealer not much more than an hour or two from you... call Dave at Ski Sensations over here in the Irish Hills.. he may be able to help you out or point you in the right direction. I know of a few larger marinas down this way but i do not know what their full capability is. I'd try Toledo Beach outside of Monroe though, there is a mechanic there i used to work with, he's probably been there 15 years now or more... his name is Gus... he's pretty knowledgable, factory trained and certified and i am sure they have the puter and software to read the ECM... it is worth a shot..

Ski Sensations (open tue - sat) # 517-547-4900

Toledo Beach Marina # 734-243-3800
-Ask for Rack & Launch Service, Gus-

Let me know how you make out

Jamie

KMLFAMILY
06-28-2002, 06:18 PM
1st I am not a mercruiser mech. but to maybe save you some agony.Verify yourself a couple of things.Add fuel to tank,maybe change fuel seperator.Make sure battery or battery"s fully charged and connections clean,tight.Look around engine compartment at wire connects, coil wire etc.It usually winds up being something simple.

Kelly Bell
06-29-2002, 08:16 AM
Thanks for all your input, actually we did try all of those avenues first. No alarm went off before it stalled. I guess it really is an issue with the engine internally. Jamie just for your information Dave Weiss is no longer a Donzi dealer. I had a horrible experience with him so be very careful if you are doing business with him.

Rootsy
06-29-2002, 11:55 AM
WOW Kelly i guess i havn't been over there in a while... no wonder the yard was pretty empty when i drove by this morning... i've generally had pleasant dealings with him... but i've never purchased a boat there... i'll take it under advisement.

I do hope you get the zx repaired quickly. You have to join us at a few of the Michigan getogethers this summer! If i find a service shop that can diagnose the motor andisn't booked here in the next day or two i'll promptly let you know. I wish it was something simple! but that tis not the case generally with computer controlled EFI motors... just difficult to diagnose and repair the goood old fashioned way..

Jamie

Jamie

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
06-29-2002, 08:51 PM
Kelly, I wish things would have went better for ya. Odd that she ran fine then quit.
Like I said we never had 5 seconds of problems with the motor itself.
Being part of the family we do care and spoke of it today when our club gathered..
We wish you success and keep us posted.
Bryan

I would take it back to PA, Gregs Merc Mechanic guy is awesome.

HyperDonzi
06-30-2002, 06:40 PM
check your kill switch (the thing you hook to your self when driving or supposed to hook to your self) if thats out, out it back in. then the wires behind this, there needs to be 2, if one is not connected, that is your problem. good luck :)

Sam
06-30-2002, 10:25 PM
Kelly, if you can't figure out your problem and still want a good mechanic I can recomend one in Harrison Twp. He is located on Lk St Clair and does not sell anything but service. The name of the shop is Millennyum Marine, the owner's name is Lenny (586-468-7361). He re-built my motor last winter and I was basicly happy. He's not a real talker but he does know his stuff.

Sam