PDA

View Full Version : Note of thanks

doug
02-04-2001, 08:05 AM
I just wanted to say thanks to Griz,Rick and whoever else replyed to my post about exhuast and cam duration. Sorry it took so long AOL in my part of the woods leaves alot to be desired when the snow melts, I will hook up the DSL and that sould be the end of that.
Rick I'm going to pull the pipes loose to change the bolts to SS and then I will check into those turbo things from Gil.
Griz the cam sheet is on it's way I can tell
that you realy like that stuff.
I hope to go to ky but it would mean 2 trips
to the same place in one month so it is still up in the air at this point.
Doug
PS.If anyone has seen the photos of my boat
what do you think of that drive stabilizer is
that junk or what?
PSS. Len, get a boat man!

------------------
old Yeller

RickR
02-04-2001, 09:28 AM
doug
I am not sure about the SS Bolts. The manifold is aluminum, heads iron. The bolts that come with the Gils are steel with a coating on them (similar to metric)
I would use a good grade 5 (3 marks on head) and copper anti-seeze.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Rob
02-04-2001, 08:46 PM
Rick is right. Although it seems counter-intuitive, stainless is not always the right answer. There are all sorts of problems when disimilar (man I wish spell check worked with AOL) metals come in contact with one another. Sounds like the engineers at Gil have thought this one through.

Forrest
02-04-2001, 10:33 PM
You really shouldn't have any corrosion problems with stainless-steel fasteners contacting aluminum and iron, unless the whole works is submerged under salt water. For galvanic action to occur, the dissimilar metals must far enough apart on the galvanic scale (http://www.roofhelp.com/galvanicscale.htm) and those metals must be submerged in an electrolyte. On this basic galvanic scale, note how far apart copper (the major component of bronze and brass) is in relation to aluminum. Also note that zinc is still slightly less noble still than aluminum. I know that these aren't the materials in question here, but from the galvanic scale, you can get an idea on how and which dissimilar metals cause galvainc corrosion faster than others.

. . . but all of this is NOT to be confused with electrolysis - which is another topic!

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 02-04-2001).]

Rob
02-10-2001, 06:52 PM
Good lord Forrest, you are amazing. Not only can you give the scientific reasoning behind the concept, but you can make your point using a web site MEANT FOR ROOFERS???

You either have a great search engine, or spend way too much time on the net!! :-)