PDA

View Full Version : Results

CDMA
06-27-2002, 11:42 PM
Finals are done sooooo....

12 hours of straight work and we have all the bugs out....

Preliminary results:

97 degrees
Flat calm
Full tank
jetted 4 sizes too rich for "safety"
30 degrees timing
me and 2 "large" fellows
full fuel
100lbs of gear

71mph @4800 rpm. ROCK SOLID. Still think there is a few more mph in her just got to dial her in. What a great combo though. The engine idles as well if not better then my stock 260 did and the torque is great...

Well bed time but more tomorrow...

Chris

Trying not to kill myself...when the engine builder who drives a 830 hp street car says " ummm can you take me to the dock now" is when you know she goes fast enough...

Digger
06-28-2002, 06:42 AM
way to go Chris, that sounds great! How did finals go??

MOP
06-28-2002, 07:21 AM
Chris I bet with 75 degrees, you alone, 1/2 fuel, you will pickup 3+MPH. Don't let me down, you worked to hard.

Rootsy
06-28-2002, 07:30 AM
holy smoke batman! better start calling you the "screaming canary"..

CDMA
06-28-2002, 01:06 PM
Yeah I am happy. It took long enough. As a little update that "stumble" I had is gone after hours of searching it seemed to be a combination of Float height and needle and seat issues. Long story but who cares...

So I took the boat down to my engine builder in MD and we messed around with it yesterday. Got rid of the stumble and fine tuned her a bit. On the dyno 66/72 were the optimum jets but I am running 69/76 for now just to be on the safe size. I also need to get some more air to the engine. We made one pass yesterday with the hatch off and I could feel an immediate difference. On top of that I am going to be looking for a 750 Holley. The engine made a decent amount more power on the dyno with the 750 and I think it will be worth a shot.

With regards to handling I am really impressed with the Bravo. I also think the mirage lab does a very good job on the boat. Not perfect but a good start. At WOT full trim there is absolutely no tendency to chinewalk I can feel. The only handling issue I have left is there still is an occasional mid speed very mild porpise. Nothing big at all and I have a feeling after a few more hours playing with the trim and getting a feel for it most of it will go away. I think that the boat might benefit from a 3 blade mirage style prop with slightly less blade area. The mirage puts a lot of torque on the boat and I think a smaller diameter more rake prop might be a good thing. I am thinking of either a laser or maybe something aftermarket. But for now the mirage seems pretty darn good.

I really have to say that for an 18 ( 16 or 22 might be different) I really like the round ear prop over the cleaver. I have run the different cleavers over the last years and while they are stable they a) are a little slower ( in my case) and b) I find they don't carry the bow well. The round ear seems to be much more able to lift the bow for a more pleasant ride in rougher water. The cleaver always seemed to be trying to subtly stuff the bow.

Just my $.02

I will have more seat time this weekend and give some more updates....

Digger,

Finals are DONE!!!! Thank God it is over. I passed everything but sadly we lost another student in my class leaving only 15 of us :(

Chris

Eyeing the Blower motor for the 22....hmmmmmm 2 months off....

Looped
06-28-2002, 02:27 PM
Chris,

Since you are close to the same setup as what I will be running & with the same style hull, have you tried using a 4-bladed semi-cleaver? The blades should raise the bow a bit more and the semi-cleaver (slightly rounded) part should raise the overall ride of the hull. I know with the 4 blades you will loss more top-end but I'm curious on how it would like that type of blade?

Craig

Rootsy
06-28-2002, 02:35 PM
is that the "chopper" style prop you are speaking of Looped?

Looped
06-28-2002, 03:43 PM
I have heard that a semi-cleaver is a chopper and some say that is not, truthfully, I'm not sure but I have read that those are the characteristics of what a 4-b semi-c will do??? What I am looking for is the low 70’s, great acceleration out of the hole with 400hp and somewhat stable on the top-end and I think Chris is very close to what I want.

A prop really is the final step to tuning a boat and it can completely drive you nuts, thank God for a board like this to hear all of the testings that have gone on that help you out on narrowing things down for you, somewhat. The only problem with comparisons like this is you could have 2 identical boats with the same drivetrain but one has a nosecone or something on it and it requires a totally different style prop.

They really can drive you Loopy!
Craig

DS88
06-28-2002, 07:48 PM
Nice job Chris! How much more power on the dyno did the 750 make? I bought a 600DP for my 383 and I'm thinking it may not be enough. Also, what is the adv/.050 duration figures on the cam you're running?

Thanks,

Dave

CDMA
06-29-2002, 06:50 AM
Dave it is all stock... wink I have been looking for the cam card fou you but I can't find it. Anything that says 383 needs to be hidden/lost. The 750 made to the tune of about 20 more hp then the 650. The 650 is a DP with no choke. The 750 was a DP with a choke. I have the dyno sheets I will scan them in soon.

Looped,

I have not tried the semi cleaver you refer to. I do second madpoodle that the Bravo one was a bad prop for the bad. I ran a 22 last year for about 45 seconds before I scared the S^&* out of myself. I also had the same experience with another aftermarket 4 blade. I am beginning to wonder if the 4 blades are just too much surface area for the little boats.
PaulO's old boat ran real nice with a Laser and I have heard good things about some other props. However if I never find anything different then the Mirage I will still be happy. It does a real nice job on the boat. I think the next step is to build my own. I have a prop guy around here who will actually design with me a prop for the boat. By using the data from a few standard props we can put together something we feel will suit the boat a little better then an off the shelf deal. I think it might be fun.

If anyone has any 25" +/- props preferably LH but not necessarily I could try I would be really appreciative.

Chris

Winni here I come....

Looped you going to Winni???

Looped
06-29-2002, 10:04 AM
If all goes well I should be at the Winni Poker Run. I'm heading there tonight to toss in the docks first thing in the morning, this way I'll have all day to put them in straight even with some frosties while working :D . It's a bit late to open up the house but I guess I picked a good weekend to do it!

Craig