PDA

View Full Version : Can anybody help me with identifying a 60's Donzi model?

G60outlaw
02-01-2001, 05:47 AM
Hi,
First, I would like to say this is a great board and I sure hope you could help me
in finding a certain Donzi I have seen through the years. It is supposed to be an oddball Donzi and I'll try to tell you what I know about it.The memory does get a little hazy after a few years so these are my best recollections. Anyways I am hoping that you guys will be able to tell me what I am looking for and if anybody has one for sale (really looking for the hull).

I know that I first the Donzi in BOATING magazine. It was a Donzi that one of the columnists was restoring one in the early 90's, his name was Brock Yeates. He wrote some story of how Don Arronow was a friend and felt compelled to restore this little boat. From what I remember his Donzi was a little obscure because it was not a sweet 16 and didn't look like the typical Donzi. I believe it was either 14 or 16 feet long. It was built shortly after Arronow sold Donzi (about 2 to 5 yrs following) and had an open design more like a fishing boat. From what I recollect it was open form bow to stern with seats around the bow, a small "center" console starboard with a seat and a big camel hump type motor box aft. I believe, it was all white. From the story I thought it was called an F-14 or F-16 but I have never seen one in the classifieds and to the best of my knowledge in any Boat registries.

I always thought it was a great little boat but never paid much mind until I actually saw one at a boat yard. I saw it in Seattle on a Lake Washington called Yarrow Bay (about 1993 I think). The boat had a large type medallion saying Donzi on the bow, it was in pretty sad shape with out the motor and with beaten upholestry. This made me want one but at the time but I couldn't even afford to look at it. I haven't been back since but I am pretty sure it is gone (actually anyone care to check?). I was wondering if anybody may of known of it or actually owned it, I know it's a long shot but worth a try. So now I can start looking at one if I can figure out where.

Anyways hopefully this is an accurate enough recollection for somebody to identify the Donzi in question. If you have any info please e-mail me at paradox@intergate.ca (different form the posted one due to registration difficulties) and Thank you in advance!

-Rob

PS If I can dig up the magazine, I will post the piucture if neccessary.

Len
02-01-2001, 09:15 AM
I thought Jeff (Blewbyu)found an F-14 in the Lake washington area last summer. I remember him writing about finding it in the "bushes" somewhere.

[This message has been edited by Len (edited 02-01-2001).]

EricG
02-01-2001, 10:48 AM
I love a good hunting project....where was it exactly in the Yarrow Bay area? I may just have to start looking around!!

EG

Blewbyu
02-01-2001, 08:07 PM
Outlaw-You have a sharp eye!That is an F-14 in the Yarrow Bay Marina,and up until two months ago,it was still there.Been there since 92 as far as I know.Finally wore my welcome out by pestering the Yarrow Bay chief mechanic to call the owners-a prominent Seattle family.Not only do they not want to sell,but HELL NO they don't wanna sell!And thats the end of that story.It had the Merc 470(disassembled)still laying in it/head off.Mongo moss/mildew-upholstery shot ,long ago.Looks like good older Alpha drive.Boat is straight and should be a peach when restored-maybe this year?Yeah,right.Maybe next year.....?

Blewbyu
02-01-2001, 08:47 PM
BTW-Brock Yates still writes-contributing writer to Car and Driver.He was the guy that started the Cannonball Run that has now become something like The Sea to Shining Sea Rally.He is a bit of a charachter-and at one time or another has known anyone that made anything fast with a motor in it.He probably has an F-14 with a blower 427 in it buried in his garage,or an X-18 with a Rolls-Merlin on steroids.You oughta write him at C and D,bet he'd be delighted to recall that era.

Blewbyu
02-01-2001, 09:11 PM
The boat in the pic belongs to Mike Mcmanus in NY.Believe that to be the only pic in the registry of the F-14 fisherman.I THINK Weavers have one,for they have several 14 footers and a 13 punt.I haven't been able to locate an email address for them.The boat you saw at Yarrow Bay is identical to Mikes boat-but all white with a slightly shorter(length)motor cover,acct Mike stuffed a 6 cyl in his.Look in the Donzi Boat registry under "length" filings for other pics.Good hunting!
Best Regards-Jeff

G60outlaw
02-02-2001, 02:12 AM
I would like to thank everbody who responded, I really did not expect responses so fast.
When I posted I wasn't quite sure how well I did on the details so it's good to know that I am not going completely loopey . It's also good to know what I am looking for is a F-14 fisherman.
I always wanted a Donzi and this surely narrows the field to the ultimate on I'd like to own. Plus I think the F-14 would look great behind my soon to be redone Landcruiser and take the boots to the local jet boaters (i.e. Sea rayders ,Sugar Sands and occasional jet ski) with a little style!
Unfortunately I may have to wait on my future Donzi ownership as I may not the time to give a Donzi project proper attention because it will be taken up with stuffing a merc. diesel into my dad's Sea Ray. But you know you always find the great stuff when you are not looking, so I fully expect to find an F14 fisherman when I am completely broke!

Thanks again all!