PDA

View Full Version : Game on...

Jamesbon
07-25-2003, 06:45 PM
Sorry I've been slow to respond to everyone's questions...just wanted to have a solid update before I replied.

So, I just picked up the deck a couple days ago, and am in process of laminating the front and rear tank bulk heads with mat.

I will write and post a complete "tank mounting" documentary in a few days, sit tight.

What's left? Laminate the tank bulk heads, foam the tank in, do a final grind to the inside of the hull, then laminate hardwood and glass around the area where the deck screws will fasten to, then shoot the interior with white gel and pop the deck on.

There's still lots to do, but once the deck's on, it's nothing but fun from there.

I have a couple questions regarding whether or not to mount a pvc drain tube below the tank or not...will touch on that later...too much on my mind at the moment to discuss further.

We plan to fire the 509 on a stand in a week or two. I'll take pics and a video of the ceremonies. (my camera take short video clips, but no sound...maybe Capt. Ted can swing by and shoot some ear popping footage) :D

Oh yeah, just a funny side note, I've broke just about all of the deed restrictions we have here in Redington Shores. We're only allowed one boat, and one trailer in a yard, no tents and no working on your rig in the driveway. The building inspector for Redington Shores stopped by today after the police, but my smooth charm and character convinced them to give me two more weeks wink Some "A HOLE" complained that there were no "FL numbers" on my boat, which was what prompted the visits by the cops and "deed police." F THEM!! I really can't complain though, this restoration has been going on for a long time. Thank god we close on an acre of land with small 2 br. house in Zephyrhills August 28th., where we'll build a steel warehouse for all pops cars and my beloved 1971 Donzi GT.

One final note, please comment, or ask any questions you see fit. I'm open to enlightment and enjoy seeking the infinite wisdom contained here on The Donzi Registry! Thanks in advance!!!!!!!
http://www.donzi.net/photos/nsctent1.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/nsctent2.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/nsctent3.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/nsctent4.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/nsctent5.jpg

MOP
07-25-2003, 06:55 PM
Looking very Sanitary, it will be a jewel when done. Will be super interested in results of the new mill.

mattyboy
07-25-2003, 08:13 PM
Nate,
Looks great I love the space between the stripe and the pinstripes very classy!!!!

Matty

Wildfire
07-25-2003, 11:09 PM
Looks great Nate! I'm getting ready to start working on mine again. If I remember right, you've got an Arneson for it? Keep us posted on how that goes.

Jamesbon
07-26-2003, 05:22 PM
Thanks fellas!

Yes, I have a #6 drop box Arneson with extension box.

Here's a shot of the hatch and dash board. I'm in process of having a stainless or aluminum plate made to house the 9 Gaffrigs in the dash.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/nscyent6.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/nsctent7.jpg

Cuda
07-26-2003, 07:30 PM
Nice tile work! wink :)

Mark Albers
07-26-2003, 08:11 PM
Nat wink

I know where you can get a Donzi hatch button

As far as your dash panel
I would recommend that you have it chromed
(mine is polished and hard to maintain)

Mark 311 :cool:
Sarasota - - - W F O (close to the factory and far from a dream)

RickR
07-27-2003, 03:43 PM
Nate
Lookin' GOOD!

I saw a good idea on "Ship Shape" TV for a hull drain in the keel. John cut a piece of 3" PVC in half length wise and laid it upside down in the hull with a layer of glass over it.

harbormaster
07-27-2003, 07:34 PM
You boat looks awesome. Its come quite a ways from the one I saw in orlando in 2000!!

Dredgeking
07-28-2003, 07:31 AM
the colors look great. nice work.

Jamesbon
07-28-2003, 08:32 PM
Thanks again fellas.

Good eye Cuda wink

That's kinda what I was thinking Rick. I hear the tank compartment is not supposed to drain into the bilge in the event of a tank failure. While I like the safety of that feature, the downfall is that if water ever makes it into the tank compartment, it won't have anywhere to drain. When I removed the original tank, there was a PVC pipe glassed in and the tank compartment was saturated with water. Is this the standard protocol?

I wanted to foam the tank in, then remove it, then carve out a 2" wide section connecting the front and rear tank bulkhead drain holes allowing for drainage of the tank compartment. Is that not good?

mattyboy
07-28-2003, 08:42 PM
Nate,
I had the same drain pipe in my 16 and was filled with gassy water.your idea is probably better than the pipe, but what about the moisture that gets in the foam will it be able to drain thru the foam??
this is a subject where you will get a ton of differing opinions, how big is that tank anyway???

Matty

Jamesbon
07-28-2003, 08:55 PM
Matty,
I'll use closed cell foam which should eliminate any "foam saturation." It's a 52 gallon nylon, identical to the ones used in the current 22 Classics.

mattyboy
07-28-2003, 09:05 PM
Man Nate that's a big tank!!!!!
I'm sure whatever you do will be top notch :) I don't like foam but thats just me.
just a thought if you lined the compartment with heavy mil plastic you could foam it in all the way let it set up then lift it out cut away the plastic then cut the channel and ad a lil fresh foam and put it back in.We make custom fit foam pads for shipping pc's and other electronic equipment that way.

Matty

RickR
07-29-2003, 10:36 AM
Nate
You're getting out of my expertise but;

On Ship Shape the PVC drain I was refering to was for bypassing a live well.

On my 1995 22 the stock aluminum tank is fixed in with braces, no foam, and drains directly into the bildge.

I like BIG drains and lots of them!

I hate to open up a "can of worms" but I've heard that the plastic itself will expand after fuel is added. I would speak to the tank manufacturer.

Jamesbon
07-29-2003, 03:38 PM
We're all thinking in the same direction. I plan to cover the tank in Visqueen prior to foaming in, that way I can extract it easily once the foam sets up, then cut a "channel" in the bottom of the foam. .

Been in touch with the tank manufacturer and Donzi Marine...this particular tank expands 1/4" when filled with liquid. Apparently the factory fills these tanks with water to expand them, then foams in. I will use this method as well.

Rick, if your tank compartment is directly connected to the bilge, then my quest is over. I'll do the same thing.

tailwind
07-29-2003, 07:53 PM
Your pictures look great, and know you will have a real "Keeper" when finished!

One note however and question for the registry? Just finished foaming a tank in an older
Miami Angler center console, (25 gallon aluminum). The only readilly available foam product
was called "great stuff" at Home Depot, 12 and 16 oz cans. Pricing is about $3 to $4 per aerosol can.

Again, my thoughts like yours to use a visquine barrier, for future removal, etc. We did try
this and after two days, the product was still a gellatin mess of "scrambled eggs"! Once we
removed the plastic barrier, the product did expand and harden.

Having taken packages to places like "PKGS" for packaging, I know they have a two part mixture, and also a plastic barrier to allow removal. Fragile artifacts etc. However I havent a source.

What type expandable foam is applicable in this instance?

Best regards,
Randy

vonkamp
07-29-2003, 08:00 PM
Looks great!! Nice Dali portrait as well :D !

Jamesbon
07-29-2003, 08:01 PM
Randy,
I'll check it out at my local glass house. They carry several different densities of 2 part foam mixtures. (mix XX of A with XX of B)

Their website is www.fgci.com (http://www.fgci.com) Click "foams" for limited information.

Thanks vonkamp! Believe it or not, that Dali came from a 3x5 post card that we blew up and printed on a plotter. I don't know why I like it so much, but I do! :D

tailwind
07-29-2003, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the fast reply.

As mentioned, we went with the home depot great stuff. 14 cans filled the void,
But covered with visquine, did not set up for lack of air. Overall cost $25.00, thanks
again, will no where to go next time.

BTW, this is the same product electricains, plumbers, contractors use to seal
cracks, seams, windows etc. Probably not boat builders, in volume, but does work. Thanks again for the info - hoping that I wont have to repeat this soon!

We both now know the two part mixture will set up with the Plastic/Air setup! Anyway
it can be a real MESS.

Thanks again
Randy