PDA

View Full Version : 1980 22' donzi

joe walker
07-25-2003, 06:11 PM
This boat has a square looking windshield and I would like to change it to a lower more round looking windshield. I just purchased boat and was wondering if there is a site with donzi parts available. I live in Ontario, Canada,

Thanks
jw

EricG
07-25-2003, 06:31 PM
Welcome to the board!

What model is the 22 that you purchased? 1980 seems to be before the 22' Classic came out, is it a Criterion or an F22? Either way, it may be one of the ultra-rare Models, and therefore not worth changing windsheilds on for collectibility sake. Post a few pictures and we'll help you identify it. Or maybe just the Hull number, that could tell us something too....

As far as a "Donzi-parts only website" - you just found the closest thing to it. Donzi's have never been "Mass produced" so parts can be tricky to find, but the folks here can point you in the right direction.

Again, Welcome!!

-EG

joe walker
07-27-2003, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the reply. Sorry it took me a while to find a number on the boat. This is the first boat I have owned. The boat has a number in the engine compartment of GT 21280. It has blue sides with white bottom and deck. Driver sits on the left hand side. It has a 454/330HP with a TRS drive. I would like a lower/rounder windshield.

Thanks

joe walker
08-15-2003, 08:36 PM
The picture showing the baby blue is the original color of the boat as it can still be seen in certain areas. Any ideas of what kind of Donzi this is. As you can see in the picture, the windshield is a bit much in my eyes. On a different note, now that I have had a chanch to drive a Donzi, I am much impressed. It handles the chop very well, and I can get just over 70mph by myself while low on gas.

thanks for the pictures

knee deep
08-16-2003, 07:44 AM
I've always liked that boat, (GT21). I would leave the windshield alone, keep the boat original. where are you in Ontario and where did you find it? My folks have a place on Lake Muskoka and a marina up there used to be a Donzi dealer. There are some neat ones up there, I know of one GT-21 thats been sitting in a marina forever and no one seems to know who owns it or if it can be sold?

Jamesbon
08-16-2003, 08:32 AM
That captured my attention, MadPoodle :D

I'd have to say I prefer the cut down windshield on the GT's. Makes a hell of a difference. Mine was made by American Marine Products, 510 NW 1St. Ave. Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Hope taht helps.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/nscwindshield.jpg

olredalert
08-16-2003, 08:41 AM
Bill,

-----You amaze me.Wish I had known that your family had a cottage up there.Jan and I just returned from the area.The three lakes are truly beautiful!Didnt take a boat up there this time,but hope to next summer.
Joe,
-----Are there noise rules on the lakes up there?We had to leave prematurely as there was no power anywhere,but on the one cruise we took I never heard a remotely loud boat.Saw plenty of DONZIs and there are wood boats in just about every other boathouse,as well.
-----Would love to rent a place up there for a couple of weeks next summer.Can anyone on the board tell me anything in relation to this?
Joe,
-----would like to see pics of your GT.I second(or third)the input given.If it has the stock windshield,keep it!If what you have truly is a GT21 you have a very upscale,unique DONZI.It only ever came with one windshield.There was an option for vents in the side-panes,but the over all shape was still the same.There is some arguement among us as to wether a GT21 could have come without a windshield.I bought one new and worked briefly with the Chisholms at DONZI and never saw a windshieldless GT21,but do admit that I didnt see every boat produced by a long shot!
-----Since the Chisholms had property in the Muskoka region and John used to take a different boat on vacation every summer(sometimes more than one),your boat may have been one of Johns.He was particularly fond of the GT21.........Bill S

Tony
08-16-2003, 02:31 PM
jw,

70mph with a 330hp/trs setup is good! Not to be pessimistic, but is that with speedo or gps? Sounds like a great boat, got pics to post yet?

What...is this Muskoka area like a vein of old Donzi gold, with extra GT's sitting around ownerless?

olredalert
08-16-2003, 03:21 PM
Tony,

------Only D-boat I saw for sale was a pretty well worked over barrel-back.Dark blue repaint with few if any original parts on it.Somehow I missplaced the phone number on the way home,but it would have been more than I would tackle anyway.

Nathen,

-------Just noticed the pic you posted.That windshield is beautiful.Are you saying that this boat came with that windshield?I guess I will stand corrected,if that is the case.I know that I have never seen a GT21 with that design before.Very nice!.........Bill S

Jamesbon
08-16-2003, 04:26 PM
Thanks Bill. I purchased the boat with the windshield you see some 13 or 14 years ago. I have no idea if it's original or not. Like you, I haven't seen another with the same set-up.

joe walker
08-19-2003, 10:33 AM
Thanks for all the replys, and I'll try to answer what I know.
The speed is from the speedo in the boat and I know that might be off a bit, but it looks good. With the drive up and the trim tabs just right, it feels that fast. I got the boat at Gorden Bay Marina on Lake Joseph for $13,000.00 Canadian. It had not been used in 2 seasons and is a little beat up, however it looks great unless your really trying to find little things. There is a plaque on the dash that says "Custom Built by Donzi for David Purdy"
There are noise restriction laws in progress and will be here soon I'm sure, but not yet. There are plenty of noisy boats on the 3 lakes, with a majority of them being Donzis. I do like noise and wouldn't have it any other way.
I like the windshield on the red boat and I hope you dont mind if I use that picture to have one made similar to yours. I will keep the old one in case I wish to upgrade and need it back to original.

Thanks