PDA

View Full Version : Volvo lube...

Blewbyu
01-30-2001, 11:10 PM
To my chagrin,I found out that the intermediate shaft between the flywheel and u-joint on the older Volvo 270(with V-8),has TWO bearings rather than just one that would come out the back.Engine has to be pulled to remove the front bearing on V-8's.
To my delight,I also found that the bolt on top of the tube between the bellhousing and the collar,is a plug for a grease fitting.You simply remove the bolt,install a zirc,and grease BOTH bearings thru a small channel cast inside the tube.Since I didn't know how much grease was needed,I used the pointy type gun fitting that is normally used to lube small u-joints.I removed the bolt,then just greased thru the open hole until the grease began pushing out.Viola!From now on,about 4 pumps every 200 hrs (with zirc installed in place of bolt.)There are those that will tell you that the whole tube around the I-shaft has to be filled-not so.Also-doesn't hurt to overgrease a little-it will go thru seals and just lay in the tunnel.Greasing every 200 hrs will prolong the life of these bearings "indefinitely".The guy that blessed me with this info has 5200 hrs on his SBC and 270 OD.Hasn't torn either down yet.

AVickers
01-31-2001, 04:46 PM
Same for the V8/280 setup.

Instead of all that grease, I replaced my sealed-on-one-side bearings w/ S2S bearings -- sealed on two sides and prepacked with grease.

Bearing house guy indicated that they, too, would last "forever" in this application.