PDA

View Full Version : Whooweeeee

harbormaster
06-26-2002, 10:30 PM
I checked out the number of hits we are averaging.
We are averaging close to 600 hits a day. Below is a graph of our traffic growth over the past year...

http://www.donzi.net/photos/visits.jpg

Here is a question....I need some input.
Let say someone has an ID that they registered but has not EVER used it to to post. How long should I give them before i delete their account?
example: I have IDs that were registered in 2001 that have never posted. I currently have 300 IDs that are not/have not been used at all.

Sagbay32
06-26-2002, 10:42 PM
Get rid of the Donzi deadbeats :D :D :D

Stix Magill
06-26-2002, 11:00 PM
I would think that no posts after 6 months, the "member" is dormant and could be deleted. Post a notice with your decision and clear the pipes.

boldts
06-26-2002, 11:53 PM
Just a thought on the deleting non-used IDs. I think maybe an e-mail attempt first would be in order? Who knows, person may have passed away, sold their Donzi so they don't care any more, or what I would bet that 90% of non-posters have forgotten that thing called a password and didn't write it down somewhere! No response from the e-mail, adios. Who knows, maybe they just didn't like that ID and created a new one. :)

oldLenny
06-26-2002, 11:56 PM
Scot...599 of those hits a day are me... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Formula Jr
06-27-2002, 12:24 AM
Delete all 300. And don't give it second thought. :D No posts in a year and we have to re-register.
It's not like re-registering is a big hassle.

I know that at least two of those dead accounts are mine. wink

McGary911
06-27-2002, 12:33 AM
Post a notice in the important info section. Wait 30 days. Delete the non-posters. Not really a big deal, since if the ids are deleted, and if the owner really wants the id, they can choose the same username, as it's been deleted, and is now available again. Only thing they'll lose is their rating/post count.

McGary

Scott Pearson
06-27-2002, 06:01 AM
Get rid of them. They are most likely some people from another site I wont metion. They most likely registered to have something to say on one thing or another and never came back. F**K"em dont waste your time emailing them...just dump there names.

Now....do you want to know how I really feel?

On a lighter note...thanks for the new avatar Scot! Pretty Cool!

(NJ)Scott

Dr. Dan
06-27-2002, 06:36 AM
Scott, It's your site, you make the call! I say dump them, if they want to re-register they will... :p ...Doc

Digger
06-27-2002, 06:41 AM
book 'em Danno!!
err...
I mean, dump 'em.

fasttrucker
06-27-2002, 07:15 AM
yes bizness is good what recession? :) i really dont care about my other name that i regestered,then forgot my password so i reregestered under newname :confused: oops,did i say that? eek! but i bet some donzi nuts just read this site. wink

CnV & Family
06-27-2002, 07:34 AM
I think the afforementioned 6 month rule would be good.

-C

rong
06-27-2002, 07:51 AM
Boy ,this is a rough crowd. I would think a year to year purge would do. I also like the e-mail "request for reply". I myself mostly read and enjoy the comments.

CnV & Family
06-27-2002, 08:11 AM
Ron,

Absolutly nothing wrong with that... I read much more than I post (exception has been this past week). Still, I think 6 months is a decent time to at least log in. Yes, the email thing would be good as well to see if there are any 'active' sleeping accounts.

Speaking as a network admin... 300 unused accounts (especially over one year old) is very undesirable.

-C

boxy
06-27-2002, 08:58 AM
If a frequent user has more than one user name, is it possible to link them to keep them both active ?

El Bandido
06-27-2002, 09:00 AM
Ya, what he said.

Crazy Horse
06-27-2002, 09:08 AM
I too say get rid of them.
However to add some type of verbiage on the front page letting people know that they have to stay active to remain a member might be a good idea.

Congrats on the 600 hits per day!

RickSE
06-27-2002, 10:10 AM
I favor the yearly purge, if you've never posted and have been registered for a year you get deleted.

We need to insure that the Old-Timmers don't get deleted though. For Example, I think we went 6-month without hearing from GeneD. Maybe we should have some people deemed as "lifetime members"?

Jake
06-27-2002, 12:13 PM
On the top of the pages it shows who are the resent visitors. Is there a way to link that to see who is here and how often? I don't own a Donzi yet, so I don't have as many comments to make as others. But, I am on the site everyday and love it. Once I get a Donzi I will have more to relate to everyone. I would hate to get dropped since I don't post a lot. Just my opinion.

Gary
06-27-2002, 01:25 PM
As you can see I don't post to often either. But I do read the site just about every day. I used to own a Z-25. I just enjoy reading about boats. I'm also on that "other" board. I post more over there not alot though. And I've never bashed anybody or any boat. While I'm at it Awsome looking boat you bought there Scott! I'm the guy that had the Z-25 at lake George last year. But now to answer the question, I would send an e-mail to the members and ask if they still want to be a member. I do by the way :D

Forrest
06-27-2002, 02:13 PM
We don't need no stinkin' deadbeats . . . but Gary does have good point.

Stuart
06-27-2002, 02:22 PM
This site is a great resource for the Donzi world. Please remember some of that world values this site as much more than just daily chat. I am one of the many that does not post much, but does read and search topics frequently. With the aid of Madpoodle, Forrest, Scott, and others I have rebuilt my motor, rewired the thing, installed trim tabs and new manifolds, learned about cleaners and am researching props. I have sold an E-drive to a non posting member across the nation and found another non posting classic Donzi in my area. I agree with keeping up to date, but please give us a chance. Thanks.

David O
06-27-2002, 03:22 PM
Let me see if I understand this.
If one only reads and learns from the vast experience of the ones that post.
Then they are stinkin' deadbeats?

smoothie
06-27-2002, 04:14 PM
I must admit I was a dead beat,for over two years(who remembers the spinning blue Donzi emblem) :D
this was the first site I would check out when I logged on,I enjoyed this site enough to go out and buy my 20 cig and thats when I made my first post.I would also suggest sending the e-mail.

harbormaster
06-27-2002, 04:18 PM
people who do not post are not deadbeats.

You do not need an id to read the boards. You DO need an ID to get into the Donzi Girls and DOnzi Guy sections. Its not to much to to ask for posts to stay active in those 2 sections.

HELLERBOY
06-27-2002, 04:55 PM
Just my .2cents, give 30days due to work or travel
Then give them the axe.

Sean
06-27-2002, 05:04 PM
I don't post much, but am happy to add my 2 cents when I feel it worthy. I have enjoyed reading everyones thoughts and have sat laughing my a$$ off on some of the ribbing everyone gives each other. This sight is a great source of information. I've owned 3 ZX Donzi's and have loved every one of them. If one hasn't posted at least once in a year they are in need of purging. I wish I could join many of you in your gatherings. Living in Iowa means a lot of miles to travel. Someday though, I'll make one.

Thanks to all.

rong
06-27-2002, 08:01 PM
After all this, I understand for the sanity of
Admin, that this takes place. I vote for a years time, as us Northern Donzi's may only be in the water for six month's. Not that you wouldn't visit
the site, but it may not be foremost as other interest for the winter take over. Not so in my case as winter is work time for the ol' girl. And Thanks! as shared experience and expertise is a wealth of knowledge.

riverrat
06-27-2002, 08:27 PM
Scot, do replies count maybe we could add the reply count as well as the post? oops, that sounded like I was making work for you.. anyway, I myself reply more than I post. just a thought. two cents

the rat :D :rolleyes: :D

Tony
06-27-2002, 08:39 PM
I think a reply is the same as a post. It can't be that hard to pipe in with a comment or two a couple times a year. Everybody's got something to offer, I would think!

I'm with most others on this, give 'em a warning then give 'em the boot! It's like cleaning out your closet, or cleaning up your "bookmarks" (Netscape) or "favorites" (IE).
It's a lousy job but every now and then it's gotta be done!

ZF-Mac
06-27-2002, 08:41 PM
I visit a few times aday, Guess I better start posting.

Donzigo
06-27-2002, 09:10 PM
Scot.

Sou wink nds like you've got a lot of great advice. I know you'll do the right thing.

Richard

harbormaster
06-27-2002, 10:21 PM
replies are the same thing as posts.

MOP
06-28-2002, 07:46 AM
I with my 2 cents think the 6 month thing fair, also why have two ID's. Why have the cloak & dagger approach, hell I am a proud Donzi owner even if the 16 is considered by some a puppy!