PDA

View Full Version : Lake Cumberland

RickR
01-29-2001, 10:15 AM
Lake Cumberland

Tommie and I rode up to Lake Cumberland (http://www.lakecumberlandpark.com) on Friday. We are staying at the
Lake Cumberland State Park Lodge. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif
Pros
$61 + TX
Nice clean rooms overlook lake

Cons
Double beds
1.5 miles from the (free?) ramp
At the lodge, limited parking for our rigs but they said we could park there.
.5mi UP from the privately owned dock State Dock (http://www.statedock.com) (which charges a fee for overnight)
Long way to the nearest land gas station, If you need 93 octane bring it with you.

Lake C State Park Campground http://www.donzi.net/ubb/frown.gif
147 campsights on about 5 acres. Looked like about 6 had a level place for your tent. VERY limited parking.

Jamestown Resort (http://www.jamestown-marina.com) looked very nice. Your best bet if you are going to leave your toy in the water. I hope we can line up a place to party there, the State Park Lodge is NOT the place (too many rangers and too far from the water.

We took the senic route from the south on Friday but when we have the Donzi in tow we will take HWY 80 off of I-75 to Somerset (lots of stop lights) and then take the Cumberland PKWY toll road to Jamestown.

*****To get to the State Park, at Jamestown turn RIGHT, in the circle, to stay on HWY 127!!!!!!
To get to Jamestown Resort continue straight after the circle on HWY 92

All you flatlanders!
Tune up your trailers, lots of hills and curves http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 01-29-2001).]

GEOO
01-29-2001, 12:37 PM
Rick,
Thanks for the update. What's the town like? How's the lake look? Was it frozen? GEOO

roadtrip
01-29-2001, 12:38 PM
Hey Rick,
No fair conducting a little Cumberland recon without inviting the rest of us. We have been doing this trip for a lot of years, so let me comment on your findings. Don't want to scare off any fence sitters, who might not have committed to the Awakening of the Horses as of yet.
The Lodge. Great views, nice pool, great critters at twilight, and great restraunt if you like catfish. Although parking can be tight, they are boat friendly and I have parked anywhere without trouble. The free ramp is very wide, deep, easy parking, and secure. I put my fountains in there without issue. The private dock is for the houseboat rentals and slip rental. There is a shuttle that runs UP to the parking areas for the houseboats and to the lodge on a regular basis. I have found either routine pretty easy.
Gas. There is plenty of high octane in Jamestown twenty minutes from the lodge. Only 87 on the lake. Do not fill up at State Dock. Bad gas. If necessary, top off at Jamestown Resort.
Never stayed in the campground.
Jamestown Resort is a nicer place for keeping your boat on the water and access to the water from your room, but more expensive.
In addition, I don't like their ramp. It is black top, shallow, narrow, and the parking is in the gravel way UP the hill. This is the jamestown resort trade off in my opinion.
The whole lake is dry. They will look the other way, but unfortunately we are not going to get someone to rent us a banquet room where we can roll in the kegs. I agree that Jamestown resort would be the place to arrange such an impromptu gathering.
If there is a will, there is a way; right?
Looking forward to a great time and seeing all of those striped hulls burning down the lake! Todd

RickR
01-29-2001, 02:22 PM
Geoo
Town? What town?
Jamestown doesn't have a traffic light (hense the circle). But looked like a few good Cafe's.
Somerset (w/ a zillion traffic lights) (about 40 miles by toll road) population mabe 30,000 with the regular strip through center of town.

This area is on or near the Cumberland Plateau, a fairly level area (compared to the Appalacians) at around 1000'. Cumberland Lake (Army Corps of Engineers, normal pool 723') is in a gorge which cut through the center of the plateau. So the banks are rocky and steep. The shoreline is almost all wooded with VERY few homes. That time of year we should have the lake to ourselves.
Lake is around 45 miles long, 1255 miles of shoreline, 63000 surface acres. The deeper parts are around 160'. From the Park to the dam (10 miles) the lake averages about 1 mile across. Water clairity at the State Park was great but up around Somerset, brown and trashy (which is common during the drawdown in the winter months).
Average temp in May
Air 70
Water 73

This is a beautiful part of the US. Lots of hilly timber country and up on the plateau cattle farms with a few horse farms. BTW The roosters in pens are used for cock fighting.

I'll go with the group but I have been told there is a decent (good value w/dockage) restaurant @ Lees Ford, 35miles up the lake toward Somerset.

If your on the fence, jump off it, load up the Boss and the Donzi, and come on down!
I can't wait!!!!! http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
RICKR

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 01-30-2001).]

boldts
01-29-2001, 06:21 PM
On the alcohol subject, I spoke to Frieda at Jamestown about it and she said as long as your not walking around with a plain view beer can (Use coousies?, you'll be all right) Also, we will be using the gathering room that is located on the dock in front of the Jamestown Marina and there are no restrictions to what type of drink we bring to this room. We are are over half way to obtaining this room free. We need 10 room reservations and currently we have 7 I believe. Frieda has been very accommodating with all the request I have asked her about so far. We may be able to get the meeting room with what we have so far. Columbus is holding their Sports and Travel Show in the next couple of weeks and I hope to meet her at the show. Most of the resorts from Lake Cumberland come up to this show. I am planning on bringing a keg bought with the dollars from the shirt sales. All dollars from these sales will go back into the club. We're also working on some sponsorship for the event with a dealer in the Cincinnati area. Hoping they can bring a boat or 2 for us to rest ride in and enjoy the weekend with us. I am meeting with the shirt artist tomorrow. Should have the design and pictures for you soon.

Scott Boldt

RickR
01-30-2001, 07:57 AM
roadtrip
Are hazards (shallow areas) marked?
Have you been to Lee's Ford Marina?
Can you tell us about highlights on the lake? Any falls?
Thanks!

------------------
RICKR

roadtrip
01-30-2001, 12:23 PM
Scott and Rick,
SCOTT
Man am I impressed with your efforts towards making this first event pretty cool. I stand corrected on the beer thing, and gladly! I think it would be a bummer not to have a place to meet and discuss exploits on the lake and tall tales. Let me know when you are ready for shirt orders and thanks for your efforts. There are a lot of people really looking forward to this.

RICK
The lake is very deep, but any hazards that do exist are well marked. My issue has never been fixed hazards, but what we call "floaters." With all the trees on the bank, you have to watch out once in a while for sticks in the water, especially after rainy periods. Still no big deal. I have done 115 on this lake with no incident.
The farthest that I have been up the lake is to Conley Bottom. Lee's Ford is another 12-15 miles from there. Conley does have full restraunt facilities, so maybe we could make the Lee's Ford journey one of our trips over the weekend. Maybe even Burnside,
I'm game. Just remember that this may be a little rough for the sweet 16s.
Highlights? Every go-fast on the lake typically congregates at the dam in the early evening on Saturday. Great spectacle and maybe we could creep up on a few of those big boys. GEOO, Grizzley, Baja appetizers anyone? Seventy-six falls is party cove. About 15-20 miles from State Dock, most everybody goes there during the day. Good place for a floating picnic, just watch out for Ranger Bob. There are also lots of creeks and other great spots to explore. It's going to be great. Todd

RickR
02-04-2001, 02:18 PM
road trip
115 http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif
In a STV or a Allison?

------------------
RICKR

boldts
02-04-2001, 06:13 PM
Roadtrip,
Thanks for your comments! This could not have come about without the help from everyone who has offered to help in some way. Geoo has offered to bring a radar gun to the event and it looks like there is a group of performance boaters at Grinder Hill Marina that is looking forward to our arrival at the dam Saturday evening. This marina is along the way to the dam I believe. Folks who boat at Cumberland regularly can probably help us find it if anyone wants to check out this marina. I'm told there are a couple Donzi's there and they have been invited to join us. Speaking of RoadTrips, have you checked out the membership list lately? We have Donzi's from all over coming to the event and a very good variety of models also. For those of you wanting to see some pictures of the 76 falls and the partying that occurs there, check out: http://www.76falls.com It appears that this site doesn't get updated during the winter, but there are some good shots in the picture gallery. The word is really starting to get out thanks to everyone helping and placing posts on the performance boat web sites. We're under a 100 days now and even though most of the Horses haven't been awakened from their winter sleep yet, The Ohio groundhog didn't see a shadow so no 6 weeks more here. Can't wait!!! Really enjoying the adrenalin rush just thinking about it.

Scott Boldt

Tom on Lanier
02-04-2001, 09:21 PM
From the fishing map I have of Lake Cumberland, Grinders Hill is up (actually south) Indian Creek about 4 miles. Indian Creek is the last major tributary coming into the lake before reaching the dam. The 76 Falls area is further up Indian Creek , past Grinders Hill, about 8 miles from the lake proper.Looks like a neat ride and Grinders Hill Marina has all the amenities needed like fuel, food and pump out (for those that may need it!)
Come on Florida and Michigan, let's get together at Lake Cumberland for a Donzi good time.

------------------
Tom
"Tomahawk"

roadtrip
02-07-2001, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by RickR:
road trip
115 http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif
In a STV or a Allison?

97 Fountain Fever 32 with 800SC's spinning 32 inch Spinellis. Awesome, wicked ride at 115.3 on radar, but not enough time in the seat to make the thing worthwhile! Hitting anything in the water could be a real bad day. By the way, I have two Lifeline kevlar vests left, if any of you speed demons want some protection. Peace, Todd