PDA

View Full Version : Hornet II price range (for bid tomorrow!)

WOT-sup
06-26-2002, 06:07 PM
Was just notified that I may get to make a bid on a Hornet II tomorrow. Resto project of some degree, haven't see the boat up close. Details unknown. What have these boats sold for from what we know??? Any other comments on them???
Lookin' for info!!!!!!!!!!

olredalert
06-26-2002, 06:35 PM
WOT-sup,

------Your comment on it being a resto project spooks me.With out any more info its really hard to make an estimate.Find out who else is bidding as well as how serious they are if possible.If you see work you can magnify what you see by 10 and thats probably the work you will end up with,or worse.Dont get into a bidding war .Definetly set an amount in your mind and stick to it...........hope this helps...........ol red!

olredalert
06-26-2002, 06:40 PM
Oh!forgot to add that(to me)the condition of the gas tank is of paramount importance.Thats what defines wether the deck has to come off or not.If the deck has to come off you are into a full blown restoration.Something you may not be ready for.........ol red......again!

WOT-sup
06-26-2002, 09:37 PM
Good input Red.

Long story short: I am going to get first shot at a boat that will be going up 'public' if I pass. Final price would be after inspection this weekend. Looking for guidelines for initial price discussion to occur TOMORROW in this UNUSUAL situatiion.

How about it any of you Hornet owners or those familiar with pricing on these boats????? Obviously vessel condition will dictate $$, but what range of $ is established.

An interesting story if nothing else is going to come out of this, and maybe a boat! Will advise.

Thanks, Brad

RH
06-26-2002, 10:00 PM
Brad, the old magic question! I purchased my 72 Hornet that is all orignal with the original engine, Volvo drive and interior. All in great original condition. It needs an interior, which will be done this winter. The original is starting to get hard due to the age. (Wouldn't that be great if that happened to us!) The gel coat is very good, with very few scratches and the engine and outdrive are in good running condition. With that said, start adding up. Will it need a new engine? Outdrive? Tank removal and deck split? Trailer? Interior? Will the boat need to be repainted? Add that into your final numbers, and decide if that is how much you want into your boat. It is truly a unique boat and one that is worth restoring. If you have the desire and talents, that is something else to consider, because that can save yo some major cash on the program. Hope that this gives you some food for thought. Keep us posted!
RH

WOT-sup
06-26-2002, 10:23 PM
thanks RH

Just looked thru the 'for sale' section in the Regestry and saw a range of about 3K -12.5K. More digging tomorrow.

Stix Magill
06-26-2002, 10:35 PM
Assume the hull is sound and has no damage. My estimate would be that the hull alone would be a deal at $2000. However, you better want a project and have a nice stash of cash to restore it with.
A picture would be SO HELPFUL.

Good luck,
Stix

Scott Pearson
06-27-2002, 06:17 AM
WOT,
It still all comes down to how much you want a Hornet II. It also depends on the work it needs and how much of it you can do yourself.

Me...I not afraid of anything when it comes to a restoration on a boat. I do all the work myself because I can. If I had to pay someone to do it I would be broke quick. I do not buy Old Donzi's to re-sell or make money on. I do it because I love it.

For example...I found a 1968 Donzi 7 meter. I didn't like the boat at all but it was a fare price. I turned it onto another board member who loved it.

So back to the orig topic. The price of the boat is what its worth to you and how bad you want a Hornet.

(NJ)Scott

WOT-sup
06-27-2002, 08:27 AM
Starting to put a picture together on reasonable cost range for these boats. Should know a little more today about this one and good bit more by the end of the weekend. Looks like these boats are quite rare, so even though I wasn't in the market for one, it may be an opportunity. If I pass on this, I'll post info about it for any other interested members.

BERTRAM BOY
06-27-2002, 03:33 PM
Brad,
Does this mean that you are going to be selling your 18?
I NEED THAT SKI RACK.........
BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

WOT-sup
06-27-2002, 05:57 PM
Just made a phone call and cleared a major hurdle on this Hornet. This may be gaining momentum! Mightbe able to do a hands-on inspection over the weekend. More to follow later tonight.

RH
06-27-2002, 07:47 PM
Great news Brad, keep us in the loop! It is really fun to live vicariously through all on the website! Let me know your address and I can send you the brochure sheet on the Hornet II if you are interested.
RH

WOT-sup
06-28-2002, 06:41 AM
Since the owner comes across as having a reasonable expectation regarding his boat, looks like I'll be making a trip to survey this weekend.

The question may soon become 'do I really need another boat?' The obvious answer is 'hell yes, doesn't everyone'.

This boat would end up at my folks house in Miami and be used on Biscayne Bay. Had been considering getting a boat over there and this may be the ticket.

The real question will likely become 'how much of a resto an I up for'?

RH- if this goes thru, you bet I'd like a copy of the brochure.

Keep you posted.

Digger
06-28-2002, 08:14 AM
good luck Brad, sounds like a great opportunity-