PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever try 'hard action' snaps on their cockpit cover?

roadtrip se
06-26-2002, 03:04 PM
On my previous sport boats, I towed with just a cockpit cover and never had any issues. Tried this once with the 22 and the snap on sunbrella cover was gone in minutes. Pretty lame!

I'm thinking about attaching 'hard action' snaps to the cover in hopes that this might be enough to get the job done. Really don't want to go the route of swivels and grommetts. Too much hardware. The full towing cover is a total pain and I would like to try another route.

I go coverless on short hauls, but on trips like the AOTH and Eufaula, I would like a little more protection from the highway.

RickR. I remember you posting some advice on this topic, but I can't find it in the archives.

Thanks for the advice,

Todd

Ranman
06-26-2002, 04:15 PM
Todd,

My old 96 Donzi had these on just the front of the cockpit cover and it towed on the highway fine. Scott Bolts just had new snaps installed on his cockpit cover. I'm taking the 97 in ASAP. You only need the snaps installed around the front windshield to keep it on. Here's an email he sent me. I'm sure he'll post more info on this shortly.

"Randy,
Got my cover back. The shop added 4 of the lock snaps
alternating every other one from the corner. Total price was $.86. My
total bill was $15.86 because I also got an adjustable center pole for
the cover. Another nice thing he did for me was add loops where the lock
snaps are located on the cover. Really makes the snaps easy to un-snap
when on the boat. He said he did this because the lock snaps can be a
real bear to un-snap sometimes. I recommend it. Towed the boat on the
high-way and had no further problems except that a couple of the old
snaps on the side of the windshield di come un-done. I think I will take
the cover back and add 1 or 2 lock snaps to the side snaps.

I really want to thank-you for your suggestion. It worked out
great and the cost was definitely affordable. "

boldts
06-26-2002, 04:40 PM
Roadtrip,
Randy gave it all to you above. When I took the cover in, I told them I wanted every regular snap changed to a Lock snap. They suggested that I do not do this because of how hard the snaps can be to get unsnaped. You will have to change the part of the snap that is screwed into the boat to work with the lock snap in the cover. Took me about a total of 5 minutes. The loop that they added using flat material like what you would attach a tie-down rope to on the full cover is the nuts. No trouble at all unsnapping the lock snaps. I plan to tow to KY this weekend with only the cockpit cover on as I too feel the full cover is over-kill and the boat will need to be washed once I arrive anyways. When I tested it on the way to the local pond, a couple side snaps came unsnaped. I believe the side snaps may have come unsnaped because of the center pole being to high and tight. I'm adjusting that tonight and we'll see what happens on the way to KY. Grant it, adding 4 lock snaps to the front of your cover will be the best and cheapest upgrade to any Donzi Classic with a windshield that can be done! Can't believe the boat comes with a cover that won't stay on while trailering. :rolleyes:

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
06-26-2002, 07:09 PM
OK, as always for my continuing education.
Post a picture of one, what is the main difference? Size or design etc.
Bryan

RickR
06-26-2002, 08:30 PM
I call them "Lift the DOT" snaps. They look like regular snaps but on top of the button it says lift the DOT. The DOT part snaps last and comes up first.

When trailering the 22 my cover only unsnapped on the sides so I replaced only the snaps on the front 1/2 of the cover which on my 22 was 17 snaps.

Think about what your doing before you install snaps. The "DOT" needs to be facing the correct direction so you can get the cover on easily (especially when mooring) and the wind will not pull the snap.

I moor with the dock on the starbord side so I arranged the "DOTs" so I start in the center on the back, work my way around the port side then across the windshield to the starbord side corner. Then from the mid point on the starbord side to the windshield corner. Then I step off the boat from the rear seat and finish the starboard corner.

The male part needs to be replaced also. I beveled the screw holes and used 5200 to seal.

The "Lift the DOT" brand are expensive but hold up well to the marine environment. A standard vise grip snap installation tool has to be modified (filed on one side) to install the buttons.

Jerry Eisele
06-26-2002, 09:17 PM
Todd,We have them on the front snaps on the 22, tows great.

Brad Lyon
06-26-2002, 09:18 PM
I just paid $35. to get rid of those %#&@!&$ "Pull the Dot " snaps. The only thing they were good for in my opinion is to tear your nice cover. They don't release! Just my .02 but they are the biggist pain in the ...........

Brad

roadtrip se
06-27-2002, 12:05 AM
Thanks everybody for the feedback!

I want what works, period!

Scott, I will be inspecting your set up this weekend...

Todd

KMLFAMILY
07-07-2002, 06:34 PM
Are there any on-line suppliers for these snaps ?