PDA

View Full Version : Improving performance o 1995 16 with a 4.3 Merc LX

dr
06-26-2002, 01:45 PM
I am looking for some fairly simple, inexpensive ways to improve the performance ( both speed and handling ) with my 1995 16 Classic. The boat has a 4.3 LX Merc, and is stock. Used on small fresh water lakes.

Thanks

MOP
06-26-2002, 08:01 PM
The best thing I ever did was put tabs on mine, I am not to much help on the V6.

Rootsy
06-26-2002, 08:11 PM
just how inexpensive are oyu talking? and what would you like to gain? to go fast you need to lose weight and make hp... and keep it under control... and engine work is expensive... i agree with the trim tabs i just havn't gotten to em yet on my 16... soon :D

ThrillSeeker
06-26-2002, 08:14 PM
You can do alot of bolt ons for the 4.3. Put vortec heads and through hull exhaust. For handeling i am going to go w/ every one else tabs :D :D :D

mattyboy
06-26-2002, 08:25 PM
props can both increase speed and improve handling
and are relatively inexpensive

get the engine to breathe better, but once you start on the engine ,you usually wind up on a path
with no u-turns
can you say v-8!

Matt

Rootsy
06-26-2002, 08:30 PM
vortec's work, good for maybe 20 over previous cylinder heads, especially with improved valvetrain.. but again things get expensive.... new set of heads will run you 500 bucks at least... plus a new intake manifold since vortecs and previous heads are not compatible, plus a carburator if your motor isn't already a 4V in which case you have to make sure the intake is a spreadbore and squarebore pattern if you have a quadrajet...plus head gaskets, intake gaskets and exhaust gaskets... now you are up to over 1000 bucks and then some... it gets increasingly expensive from there... good thing is you can do all the top end work without removing the motor... but if you do it might as well go to thru=hulls if you don't already have em.. that prop exhaust can get kinda stuffy when things begin to breathe. then you'll need a prop...