PDA

View Full Version : What are the best Fenders to use on a Classic

FASTEDDIE
08-24-2002, 04:42 PM
Hey Gang,what are the best fenders or bumpers to use to keep your classic from banging into the dock. With no front cleats on my 22,its a pain to tie a perfectly spaced rope so that the fenders are exactly in between the dock and the rub rail. Forget the back cleat,that's a joke. How do you hook up and what do you connect to and how do you adjust the rope height for each different dock that you tie up to? Has anyone seen the new bumpers with velcro straps that you put on a 4"x6" dock post and the velcro adjusts. Where do you get them?

harbormaster
08-24-2002, 05:37 PM
Your 22?

mattyboy
08-24-2002, 07:07 PM
Fast Eddie,
Harbor asked you a question
Don't you think he deserves an answer eek! :D :D

a 22!!!!
I believe you are going thru post donzi partum syndrome wink
or it is time to come clean!
what's FastEddie's new ride

I saw fenders with suction cups for boats with low freeboard at west's but if you're paint compulsive like Pearson :p :D you can get the 1200hp leaf blower and convert it it hold the boat in a pocket of air eek!

GOOD LUCK ED WITH WHAT EVER BOAT YOU HAVE OR ARE GONNA GET

CYA IN SEPT.

matt

HyperDonzi
08-24-2002, 08:05 PM
try a rope off the bow ring. a rope off the back trailer ring and a fender in the middle. it works on an 18, just get the ropes perfect and it wont hit.

Dr. Dan
08-24-2002, 09:44 PM
E, Liz and I suffered thru last season with no center cleats, it sucked ... :p we did those suction cup guys and they proved unreliable at best...this season I installed matching center cleats! :D They are great, I saw them on Tomahawk and I was impressed with the difference it made...if you need more specifics I can cover that if you call me or email me! wink Also, the Piling guards work fine if the area is not to crazy with wakes...just make sure you get the largest circumference they have...We use the "Taylor Made Fenders" out of WestMarine, of course they match our boat color,Teal,I have two different sizes some 8" and some 10" for raft ups! They work very well... :cool: ...Doc

Tomahawk
08-24-2002, 10:06 PM
Ed - I really like the new cleats installed by the windshield for fenders. Really handy for docking as well. Spring lines too.
I tried the bass boat fenders but found them too small. Just before AOTH II, I found a larger version of the bass boat fenders at the Bass Pro Shop. The kind that curve over the gunnell for more protection. They are a perfect size for a 22 Classic and work fine tied to the stern cleat and another to the mid-cleat. Cost $30 each. That's what I'm using now.
BTW, they are "fenders" for fending off of things. "Bumpers" are are on the front and back of cars for crashing into things. :)
See you in Sarasota this year?

Gritz
08-24-2002, 11:06 PM
Ropes?

gjohns6896
08-24-2002, 11:34 PM
Eddie, I bought TWO of those HUGE "HULL-HUGGERS" about a month ago, but I only need one of them.

It works great, and they fold up and I store mine in the engine compartment.

I think Overton's still has them for sale, too.

Would be happy to sell mine to you CHEAPER than Overton's price, even though they are OVER $100 for the big one there.

Let me know.

George

KMLFAMILY
08-25-2002, 08:33 AM
Great question.Every time i take the boat out it seem"s i pick -up some time of scratch. I am as careful as i can be, but black sides show all.It really bums me out. I just bought the Taylor low freeboard fenders 5"x15" from Overtons and they seem to work fairly well, but a larger size would be better. I am thinking of a hull hugger pad, but how would that look pulling up to the dock,silly? I dunno.Still searchin for the answer.KEN

RickR
08-25-2002, 11:06 AM
I use these little thingys (w/ 10x26") next to the windshield corner http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=201& prrfnbr=4349&outlet= (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=201&prrfnbr=4349&outlet=)
They work great and are barely noticeable.
For the rear I use the cleat with a small permanent loop of 1/4" line on the fender.

Woodsy
08-26-2002, 06:33 AM
Now Eddie...

Why in the WORLD would you need this info??? It wouldn't have anything to do with that BlackHawk in MI finally being sold??? Nerve problem my butt!!!

Woodsy Von Donzi, Boat Detective....

cummins
08-26-2002, 06:57 AM
The best product I have come across is called bumper Buddies in combination with a medium size tayor made round bumper :D
www.happyidea.com (http://www.happyidea.com)

Cummins

EricG
08-26-2002, 10:58 AM
I second Rick's idea. I had those fender "brackets" on my Century and I really miss them....I currently use the bumper buddies on the Z and they work pretty slick too.

EG

mattyboy
08-26-2002, 12:37 PM
um FastEddie, we're waiting :D :D

what's the fender going on????

Matt
wiil it be at the fall picnic

HyperDonzi
08-26-2002, 02:28 PM
gjohns, are those then ones that are like a blanket with padding? if so, those are probaly the best fender on a classic.

FASTEDDIE
08-26-2002, 04:55 PM
You guys are coming up with great suggestions and apparently I'm not the only one who gets a scratch now and then on my boat. Keep the ideas coming. I can't believe with all the experts on this website ,no one knows about those bumpers that wrap around the 4'x6' dock posts and are heighth adjustable with velcro straps. I'll keep looking at your suggestions. Mr. Von Donzi, don't listen to Lake Winny rumors, Mr. Boat detective. I now hear than the Winni crowd is whimping out on the Lake George picnic. Come on Von Donzi, get the Bandits organized and ready to go.I want to hear everyones ideas. :p :p

gjohns6896
08-26-2002, 09:30 PM
Hyper...yes, they are like big blankets, or something like that. The padding is not ALL the way down the side, but it is spaced out about every foot or so...and they are seven <7> feet long. I also bought the "tall" ones, and I think they are 24 inches tall.

George

mattyboy
08-27-2002, 08:08 AM
Man FastEddie,
you're good you've ducked the question, and skirted around the answer like a seasoned lollipop stealing politician :D :D :D

I want a ride on the new boat at the picnic please!

Matt

boldts
08-28-2002, 10:30 PM
Ed - My 22 has pop-up cleats both in the back and midship next to the front of the windshield. First thing I bought for the boat was the biggest Taylor fender West Marine had. I also bought the ones with the eye on each end for attaching a line to. This way if I want to hang the fender from the dock, I use 2 ropes and tie them off from the dock. Fender stays where-ever I want it to be. When attaching these large fenders to the boat cleats, I tie them as high and as close to the cleat as possible which causes the top of the fender to be pulled towards the center of the boat. This also causes the bottom of the fender to protrude out away from the boat giving even more distance and cushion from the dock or other boat that I'm rafted with. Now then, is there a new FastEddie SE addition to your household? :)

Dr. Dan
08-30-2002, 05:24 AM
E, Check these out... www.thepiercushion.com (http://www.thepiercushion.com) :D

harbormaster
08-30-2002, 05:37 AM
Gee, I wonder where Eddie is now? :D

Woodsy
08-30-2002, 06:18 AM
Well.... I have a really good hunch!! Just remember, you heard from me first! and for the record, I did not get my info from certain other Winni Bandits....

Woodsy Von Donzi
Boat Detective

MOP
08-30-2002, 07:10 AM
Some really good solutions above, another one I picked up for rafting up. Many times when rafted a wake will get things moving around pretty good and most of the time the bumpers will ride up. What I have seen some customers do is to remove the 1/8 plastic plug found in alot of bumpers and fill the bumpers about 1/4 full of water replug them and pump them back up with air. They say it works great.

Gritz
08-30-2002, 07:53 AM
Dr. D,
That piercushion thing reminds me of a dog I once had. :rolleyes: :D
Stan