PDA

View Full Version : Ontario (Canada) Donzi Owners Get Together

Boatman
06-26-2002, 10:36 AM
Anyone with a Donzi in Ontario, Canada or nearby that is interested in getting together later this summer for an informal day of boating, perhaps on the Muskoka Lakes? :D

Let us Know,
Boatman and Tru-Jack

boxy
06-26-2002, 01:33 PM
I may have to travel to the Muskoka's for an alarm install later this summer, if I do I'll try to find some time to hook up with you guys.

MOP
06-26-2002, 07:53 PM
Hi Boxy and EM if you drop by, I am getting much firmer on my late August trip up your way. Any hassle for me trailering into Canada? Would like to poke around up your way :D

Court Armstrong
06-26-2002, 09:20 PM
Sounds great, we have our 1965 16' in Pointe au Baril which is only 40 minutes north of Gordon Bay Marine which is a premier Donzi dealer. Maybe they are interested in participating in some way.

Count me in, and keep me posted

Court

Greg Riach
06-27-2002, 10:11 AM
I think this is a great idea, count me in. Muskoka is perfect for me, I have a cottage on lake Jo where I do most of my boating.

Greg

Donzi007
06-27-2002, 10:22 AM
Great Idea! I'm on Lake muskoka.....August? :cool:

TRU-JACK
06-27-2002, 10:51 AM
August sounds good, i don't really know my way around the muskoka lakes, as i'm on Lake Couchiching and Simcoe, but would love to run throught muskoka, especially with fellow donzi owners and some local knowledge. wink

Court Armstrong
06-27-2002, 02:05 PM
Maybe we should collectively set up a Donzi Owners Club of Ontario and meet in the Muskoka's. I bet that supporting Marina's would love the attention. Any thoughts.

Boatman
06-27-2002, 03:33 PM
Hey Informal Ontario Donzi Club Members! Great to see the responses so far! I'm not sure if I'm the right person to make this all happen, but happy to carry the ball for a bit.

It looks like Muskoka would work well for several and seeing as Gordon Bay Marine has a lock on my wallet (and my boat is currently there for repair - see thread on strange engine noise), I'll happily go bug Bruce Hatherly to see if he'd be interested in the press and goodwill. Not to mention the fact that they are one of two registered Donzi dealers in Canada I believe. Anyway, I'll check that out this weekend and post next week.

Regardless, it would be a good launching spot as it's easy to find, well equipped, etc. We could do a lunch rendez-vous perhaps at the Lake Joseph Club or Port Carling, etc. I'll defer to the Lake Muskoka "members" on details. Perhaps the August 10-11th weekend? The long weekend is too hectic for many with other commitments.

This is sounding like fun! I'd happily look into a formal "Donzi Club" registration for Ontario owners if someone can point me in the right direction. Not sure what that gets you, but worth looking into it. :D

harbormaster
06-27-2002, 04:21 PM
I will host/do your website if you get organized

chief bigwin
07-02-2002, 06:34 PM
I would possibly be in for this. I don't have a trailer, as my boat doesn't leave Lake of Bays. I guess Gordon Bay could lend me one for a day. Keep me posted, as I will be on holidays in August that time, so it could work out nicely.

Donzi007
07-03-2002, 09:38 AM
Anytime in August is good for me...the 10th - 11th works. A kickoff Ontario Donzi Club meeting at Lake Joe Club ? Chief B ..... i may have a 22 trailer for you...i'll let you know

Catman
07-03-2002, 08:25 PM
I'm in. I live in Sudbury and go down to Gordon Bay Marine on occasion for parts. Another great area is Parry Sound, only 20 minutes north of Gordon Bay Marine. There you have the bigger water of Georgian Bay and some great secluded areas with lovely white sand. There are camp sites that are only accessable by boat, as well as Kilbear Provincial Park. 1990 Donzi GT230

Dorset Donzi
07-08-2002, 08:51 PM
I am up there in early August (1-12) and weekends(except Aug 24-25 weekend). If the timing is right, I will trailer over with my 1972 16 OB, Hull # B-7.(Wife and two kids as well).

T. Morris
07-10-2002, 10:27 AM
Sounds great! I was invited up to Lake Muskoka a few years ago for the same purpose - a Donzi tour, but couldn't fit it in. The fellow's name
was Al Moran, but I haven't heard from him since.
I boat on Couchiching & Simcoe and would be interested in trailoring up to Muskoka (20' Minx), so please keep me posted.

TRU-JACK
07-10-2002, 11:42 AM
Hey T. Morriss, I have a place on Couchiching and often head over to Big Chief Island for an afternoon of fun. Get in touch if you're interested in going for a rip some time. wink

Tim Morris
07-12-2002, 07:08 AM
Tru-Jack, you're right; Big Chief is a destination spot. I was there last Sunday for a couple of hours. Probably drop by this Saturday or Sunday depending on house guests, so far only 2. A good friend on mine on the Severn, just the other side of lock 42 has a '70 18' yellow classic, I have a '87 20' Minx red/white - in case you see us out there. Hard to plan a 'rip' with as many house guests as I've had so far this year, everthing seems spur of the moment. This Muskoka thing looks interesting. I (like you) would appreciate a tour guide though.

TRU-JACK
07-12-2002, 10:32 AM
Tim, hope to see you around. I have a 16', white with the black stripe. I just finished having it buffed, and it looks great except my Donzi decals were place about 4" too low. I have the new ones ordered and will fix it when i can. If i see you, i'll head over and say Hi, you do the same. Have a great weekend. wink

JOHN SCIBERRAS
07-16-2002, 03:57 PM
An Ontario Donzi Owners club and meeting sounds interesting.Keep me informed.

chief bigwin
07-29-2002, 05:07 PM
Well, what's the verdict folks? I have been away from the board for a couple of weeks. I thought I would come back to see a time and date that we would be meeting in August. Are we on?

It sounds like there has been some difficulty coming up with a departure point. Let's call it Gordon Bay (Donzi Dealer) this Saturday 11:00AM. If it's a date, I will call Gordon Bay and let them know of our plans. They should be thrilled.

I am on holidays starting this Friday through to the 19th, so the timing is perfect for me...hope it is for you too.

As far as places to go, I don't know those lakes at all. There must be a fearless leader among us.

Looking forward to meeting all of you. Let's try to figure this out ASAP this week.

Brian

P.S. Sorry for being so forward on this posting, but I think if it's going to happen, we have to make it happen.

Rich Maas
07-31-2002, 07:00 PM
Whoa. My timing to log back onto this site was perfect. I just bought an '87 2+3 this spring and have a cottage on Lake Joseph. I'd be more than happy to help you guys navigate around Joseph and Rosseau.

Gordon Bay seems like the best place to start. What is the consensus on dates? Is it the weekend after the long weekend (Aug 10/11)?

chief bigwin
08-01-2002, 10:11 AM
Rich,

It sounds like this is slow to get moving. I would like to do this, but only if there are a bunch of us. It is tough for me to get there because I don't have a trailer...Gordon Bay would have to pick my boat up on and deliver it back to me.

I am on holidays starting tomorrow. If you or anybody else gets this arranged, call me at my cottage: 705-635-1135. I probably won't be checking my email very often on holidays, so the phone is probably the best method of contact.

I hope it works out and we get to meet up!

Brian

Formula Jr
08-01-2002, 01:50 PM
MOP, going to Canada is a snap, They just ask you if you're bringing enough money, Eh....

Comming Back is a bear. I was stuck in customs for an hour and 1/2 and sweating bullets, cause you know they will not think twice now about doing full searches and I have a paneled van. Bring ALL the ID you can muster.

blackwidow
08-02-2002, 11:27 AM
Hey, who knew that there were this many Donzi's in Ontario.....God knows that we are pretty excited if we see one in our neck of the woods, that would be in Kingston...the Thousand Islands area.
I am geographically impaired at times so can I get clarification on the area we are talking about. We might consider trailering, if we can get an idea of how far it is. Thanks! wink

Donzi007
08-06-2002, 01:22 PM
Anytime from now till labour day! I'm on Muskoka and waiting for a date to be set :cool:

Donzi007
08-06-2002, 01:26 PM
Rich,
I've got a 96 22" Classic with blue stripe...............What colour...i'll look for you

Extreme Measures
08-07-2002, 11:55 AM
Do you guys and gals have a confirmed date for the Donzi club to meet? My wife and I are interested in coming just need the date.
Thanks
Your Friends In Boating
wink Extreme Measures wink

boxy
08-07-2002, 01:55 PM
EM were you out by the 1000 Islands bridge Sunday ?

Extreme Measures
08-07-2002, 03:51 PM
Boxy no I was not I wish that I had been Boxy my wife was working Sunday.We will be out this weekend,How about you this weekend are you going to be around? Let us know so we can get together if you are I will give you my cell # to call us.

Your Freinds In Boating
wink Extreme Measures :cool:

Rich Maas
08-07-2002, 09:07 PM
Hey Donzi 007.

My 18 is Black w/black and gold stripe. New seats and upholstery and it looks great. I had it down on Muskoka the week before last to visit friends in Beaumauris. If you come thru the locks watch out for shallow water right as you enter the lock.

Chief Bigwin et al:

Sorry for not replying sooner. I've been up North for some R&R. It still seems like nobody has picked a date for the first meeting. This weekend is now out for me unfortuntely. However, I'll chat with my better half and throw a few dates at you guys for either late Aug or Early September. We could use my cottage on Joe as a starting point, I'm a stones throw away from the Foot's Bay public launch ramp and I have enought boat parking at my boathouse for about 7 boats.

Any thoughts guys?

Rich

boxy
08-08-2002, 07:38 AM
EM we won't be around for the next couple of weekends, we are moving to a temporary home this weekend until our new house is finished ,(a buddy of mine plays hockey in Germany, and we are house sitting for him) and we are going to Montebello for my parents 40th anniversary the weekend after that. I will be on the water for the whole Poker Run weekend, drop by Gan and visit Frank C and his buddies from NJ.

TRU-JACK
08-08-2002, 08:25 AM
Rich, i'm also out this weekend, the outlaws are visiting, but am available for the first weekend in sept, or the last. Maybe also during the labour day weeknd.

Boatman
08-12-2002, 07:46 AM
Hey Gang,
Look, seeing as I started this thread, sorry for not carrying the ball through on getting this thing planned. Without getting too personal, I am having to attend to some personal matters that are taking my nearly full attention at this point.

I'd love to join in on an event and the Lake Joe offer near Foots Bay is a winner in my mind.

I have charts of the lakes and would be happy to make colour copies of them for the get together when it happens.

Aug 26/27 and Labour Day weekend don't work for me, but don't wait for me either!

Cheers,
Brad

Boatman
08-12-2002, 11:00 AM
Well, I've truly lost it as I am now reponding to my own post. However, looks like we need to pick a date and just go for it. Having re-read the thread, here's a stake in the ground:

Date: Saturday Sept 7th
Departure By: 11:00 AM
Where: Gordon Bay Marine 705-375-2623
Directions: Located on Hwy 69 approx 15 km north of Hwy 169 intersection (2 hours north of Toronto)

I'll be there at 9:30 AM with my 96' Sweet 16 (red hull, white deck, red stripe). Ask Dwane or Jim Parent for Brad McCamus.

Hope to see some fellow Donzi Owners There!

T. Morris
08-13-2002, 11:24 AM
Timing works for me. I'll see you there!
'87 Minx, red sides, red stripe, white deck.

Boatman
08-14-2002, 12:44 PM
Great! That makes it officially an event - 2 participants :D I'll check back the week prior and see how we're doing for total numbers.

Ed Donnelly
08-14-2002, 06:11 PM
I haven't had the criterion in the water since july 01 computer problems. If I have to, I'll tow it up just for the thrill of having it behind my truck. Our friends south of the border get an idea and BANG it is done.. I think we northerners are just a little too laid back Look forward to meeting fellow registry members.....Ed

Blood Shot
08-15-2002, 10:20 AM
I'm on Muskoka and will attempt to be there with my 18 and my gang. What's the boat trip like from the Port Carling Locks to Gordon Bay?

Greg Riach
08-28-2002, 11:21 PM
Bloodshot

It is an easy trip to Gordon Bay Marine. When you leave Port Carling turn left past the Golf and Country Club and on to Port Sandfield, (about 15 minutes at cruising speed). From Port Sandfield just follow Lake Joseph to the top end. You should have a chart of both Lakes Rosseau and Joseph with you. Contact me if you need more detailed instructions at Greg@rnt.ca

I'll see you there on Saturday

Greg

Boatman
09-01-2002, 12:33 AM
Just checking in - looks like 3 confirmed so far. Anyone else coming this Sat, Sept 7th?