PDA

View Full Version : Transom help.HELLOOOO! Please help!

G - FORCE 88
07-23-2003, 05:09 PM
Hey guys
I have decided to keep my boat and im now in the process of doing some upgrades. I am ordering an offshore style aluminum swim platform for my 22 Classic. And i need to know what is the angle of the transom, in order for the guys to make the platform. The people thast are making it is www.extrememarine.cc. (http://www.extrememarine.cc.) Price's are very competitive. Im having it powder coated red with grab rail and non slip top. Please let me know the angle so I can make a correct purchase.
Thanks
JOn

"Im glad that I didnt sell me boat. I forgot how many heads it turns and how fun it is."

MOP
07-23-2003, 07:24 PM
Do a search on swim platforms, Rob from Illinos had a nice setup on his 22 I am sure he can help you out.

harbormaster
07-24-2003, 09:05 AM
Drop yours in the water and measure the angle.
I would think that they are all a different because of weight (different engine/drive packages).

CDMA
07-24-2003, 09:50 AM
It depends if he wants the platform level with the water or at the same angle as the shear line.

Chris

G - FORCE 88
07-24-2003, 10:13 AM
Lets say I drop in the water and measure the angle. How do I measure the angle of the transom? What tool do i use for that. I would like the platform to follow the lines of the boat. So I think it would be nice. Arent the angles of the transom the same on all 22's? They slope slighty back?

G - FORCE 88
07-24-2003, 10:17 AM
Lets say I drop in the water and measure the angle. How do I measure the angle of the transom? What tool do i use for that. I would like the platform to follow the lines of the boat. So I think it would be nice.

BUIZILLA
07-24-2003, 10:47 AM
G-force...this is THE easy way....

go to Home Depot

get a Stanley Inclinometer, 12" legs each way

it has an elevation degree wheel

flip it around backwards and place each 12" leg against the hull bottom vs. the transom flat area

measure angle of deflection differential from *0*

order platform accordingly for 90* reference

your done

when I worked construction, we used these for building purposes and setting trusses to get the roof pitch right. I just used one last week to set the bunks angles on my new 18 LE trailer. I also use it to set the pinion angle on my race cars.

J

your measurements may vary according to beer consumption :p

Jamesbon
07-24-2003, 08:10 PM
A .99 cent protractor works wonders as well wink

G - FORCE 88
07-24-2003, 11:53 PM
SEE NOW THAT PROTRACTOR IDEA IS ONE I KNOW AND UNDERSTAND. THANKS GUYS FOR ALL THE HELP. EVEN THOUGH I KNOW YOU GUYS ARE AGAINST PLATFORMS OF ANY KIND ON A DONZI. BUT YOU GUYS WILL SEE HOW SWEEEEEEEEET IT WILL LOOK.
THANKS
JON

wink

GEOO
07-25-2003, 05:55 AM
To figure the angle of the transom; put a framing square on the bottom of the hull with the 12" leg sticking up. While keeping the long leg of the square on the bottom push the square until the top of the 12" leg touches the transom. Read the measurement from the bottom of the transom to the bottom of the leg. It should read around 3". Each 1/4" of an inch equals 1 degree. ie 1" = 4 degrees, 3" = 12 degrees. I think you have a 12 degree transom. Check?? I saw Brownie from Stainless Marine do this on Ship Shape TV.

..........................I (TRANSOM)
.........................Il
........................I l
....(BOTTOM).....I. l (12")
_____________I... l
..-----------------l (framing square)

....................< 3">.

Not easy to draw with I's & l's???

MOP
07-25-2003, 06:13 AM
Jon check your mail, sending photo of Robs 22 I shot at 1000 Islands. His setup looked darn good and incorperated a 4 step ladder. It was mounted matching the shear line as mentioned by Chris.

BUIZILLA
07-25-2003, 06:21 AM
MOP, email me that picture as well please.

thanx, J

Forrest
07-25-2003, 09:33 AM
I would think that you would want the platform level with the shear line of the boat and not the water for the correct look. Use the GEOO/Brownie method to find the transom angle.

G - FORCE 88
07-25-2003, 10:29 AM
You guys have been most helpful and I thank you for that. I am gonna have the platform done with the shear lines of the boat. It couldnt go anyother way (not like I would so it any other way).AGAIN THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE HELP, ALL OF YOU GUYS!! :D :D :D :D :D

MOP

Thank you for being so helpful with the pics and the email address(sorry but was the email was wrong it was another members but not his)