PDA

View Full Version : 22 classic --- top bows for cockpit cover?

banfield
07-23-2003, 10:59 AM
Hi, I'm buying an '83 22' classic, and it needs a cockpit cover. I'm wondering if these are usually installed with a top bow(s) or something to support them, or is the height of the windshield enough to ensure water flows off them.
This is the old style (unframed) windshield, with the eyebrows if that makes a difference.

If the tops usually have bows, where are the receptacles usually installed?

Can one order one stock from Bilt-Rite, or must they be locally custom made to match vagaries in snap placement?

Any advice on material or color? The boat is white with a red stripe.

Don B.

boldts
07-23-2003, 01:20 PM
DB,

I'll take a shot at this one. If you have the windshield, you won't need the bows, how-ever, it will still need the center adjustable pole. Mine is done with a snap that the pole then snaps into to help keep it in place. Do you plan to be trailering the boat? If so, I've found from other member's advice that the following works very well.

1. Instead of using just regular snaps to hold the cover on the boat, have lock snaps installed. These snaps only snap on and off in one position. With regular snaps, the cover usually flies off the boat.

2. If you use the lock snaps, also have the canvas shop that installs the snaps in the cover for you add what I call a little piece of fabric loop. This aids tremendously in releasing these snaps. (I kind of answered your question about doing the cover locally. For the cover itself, I highly recommend Bilt-Rite. They do great work and have the original patterns for the Donzi Classics. They will ship the actual snaps for the cover with the new cover. You will then need to go to a local shop to have them installed in the cover so everything lines up together and is positioned correctly.) Here is a shot of the loops I'm talking about.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/sboldtcov0001.jpg

3. This is one I just recently was told about. Buy 4 tennis balls and place 1 in each intake and exit vent leading to the engine area. What happens trailering on the highway, air is forced into these vents and that is what pushes the cockpit cover up and off the boat. The tennis balls will stop the air from entering the hull. I did the lock snaps on mine before the tennis ball idea was mentioned to me so I don't know for sure that it stops the cover from blowing off, but it sure makes sense and is a lot easier than changing your snap bases to lock type.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it works out for you. Good luck!

farmer tx
07-23-2003, 07:13 PM
Don,
Bilt rite doesn't have a pattern for a 22-classic with eyebrows. I checked this spring
and it was too late to send mine in for them to copy so i am waiting to do it this fall. If you dont already have a C.P. cover to send i'll let you know when I send mine and they can make yours then.

Later