PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Paint Removal

DTM
07-22-2003, 11:23 PM
I am looking to purcahse a '88 Donzi Z21 but it has bottom paint. I am planning on "rack" storage so the bottom paint will not be required. Therfore, I would like to remove it. Anyone have an ideas regrading teh best approach to the removal of the bottom paint?

MOP
07-23-2003, 07:31 AM
Let me take a shot at this for both big and small, I am against chemical strippers. I have seen gel coat softened and pitted by them, maybe it was over saturated not sure The best jobs I have seen were sanded off, that is a Nasty job. Now that No Chem Corp. came along blasting the paint off with plastic beads, I think this is another good one. It does leave the bottom smokey looking like a Gin bottle but sands out real easy. This is on larger boats! For smaller stuff like ours "Peel Away" is a dream, it leaves the bottom factory fresh!

Forrest
07-23-2003, 08:27 AM
If you do use Peel Away, be careful. Though effective, I got serious gelcoat damage on my old Hornet removing Imron using Peel Away.

harbormaster
07-23-2003, 04:01 PM
Forrest. Give us more info..

MOP
07-23-2003, 07:52 PM
WOW surprised to here that, a few of the name painters use it to get the old names off the transoms. Was it left on to long?

MOP
07-23-2003, 09:47 PM
Bravo on Juan, my guy is Serapio!