PDA

View Full Version : Raising Engine 3"....

Woodsy
08-23-2002, 10:31 AM
Hey Guys...

Looking to raise my motor 3" to use one of those IMCO extension boxes with the 3" lift. Any ideas? It's either raise the engine, or sell off all of my BlackHawk stuff and go Arneson...

Woodsy Von Donzi :D :D
Winter Project Coordinator

roadtrip se
08-23-2002, 10:51 AM
C-R-A-Z-Y!!!!!!!!!!!

But I can't wait to see what comes out of the
Von Woodsy Donzi skunk works next spring!

Not going to be much help here, but think about your center of gravity, before stacking the motor up in the boat. Could introduce a whole other set of problems.

Good luck,

Todd

blackhawk
08-23-2002, 11:35 AM
Woodsy, sorry I am no help either. I would contact IMCO directly I am sure they would at least have some helpful pointers.

I don't think you will have an issue with CG. I know my X is already 2" higher than what you have. And I know of one person that has a blackhawk hull with another 1" above mine.

I was thinking of what would have to change. As long as you have clearance under your hatch I would think the exhaust will be the biggest problem. I would think that the new plate from IMCO will raise the back of your motor the 3" so you will have to figure out the front. I am sure someone with more knowledge and experience than myself will have some good pointers.

Good luck

blackhawk
08-23-2002, 11:39 AM
Woodsy, not to rain on your parade, but if you are seriously thinking about supercharging your engine I would consider the Arneson. I know it is a lot more money up front but it may pay off in a couple of years. I have considered more hp in my boat but I think 500-525 is about max for the drive. They are just as strong as a Bravo, but they cost a hell of a lot more to fix when they break!!!

Just something to think about. Plus, a supercharged 22' with an Arneson would be bad as hell! I'd be very jealous. :D

Rootsy
08-23-2002, 11:53 AM
Woodsy,

besides the issue of exhaust exit, hatch clearance and wiring harness lengths what else is there? I am not totally familar with what you are doing or why the motor needs to move up 3 inches but are you using the existing transom housing inner plate with the rear mounts or is there something different with the extension box? i think the inner transom plate has room to move everything up 3 inches depending on what you are using for a transom assy outside and gimble alignment... to just space things.. machine some aluminum spacers and everythign should be happy happy joy joy

what other pieces am i missing to this puzzle???? cause if you are askin there HAS to be more to it than this... the man has an MIT email address for god's sake!

Woodsy
08-23-2002, 12:13 PM
Hey Guys...

I really don't think going up 3" is a super huge deal. I am going to put some 3" blocks on my engine this weekend and check hatch clearance. As my 22 is probably the only one in existance without thru hulls, I don't think exhaust is going to be to big of a problem. I am going to give the boys over at CMI a call.

I just wanted to get the collective opinion from the board....

Also with the cost of a new custom set of CMI's, the cost is rapidly approaching arneson conversion....

Woodsy Von Donzi :D :D
RacoonWorks Chief Engineer

Woodsy
08-23-2002, 12:16 PM
oh ya, I forgot.... that bastard CDMA will have a supercharged 22/Arneson setup next year...

freakin college students!!

Woodsy Von Donzi

blackhawk
08-23-2002, 12:38 PM
That bastard!

If you don't already have thru-hulls you'll be fine. The transom plate should lift the rear of the motor. So, figure out the best way to lift the front, get your exhaust and your in business!

CDMA
08-24-2002, 10:54 AM
:D :D :D Who me....

wink wink wink

blackhawk
08-24-2002, 11:28 AM
madpoodle, you have to raise your engine 3" so it will line up with the 3" extension box. The box does not actually raise your X. The box has a 3" higher X which means your engine has to be raised to line up. So, it is a total of 3", not 6". Then, take into consideration that your props are 12" further back this actually drops your "theoretical" X another inch.

So, putting the 3" box on is like raising your X 2".