PDA

View Full Version : What's this?

BLACKIE
07-22-2003, 09:47 PM
I've been looking at 18" Classics trying to find a good one to purchase. Today I looked at this one. It's a 1988 with 350 magnum, alpha I drive, engine rebuilt in 2001. Overall it just needs a good cleaning up, rust on the trailer, trailer needs new tires, the bilge is full of oily, dirty water. Rust on the intake manifold (from water sitting there), engine compartment full of pine needles & dirt, etc. That part I think can live with. What I would like to know is what is the shock absorber thing on the transom? I first though it was external steering but no, there are no hydralic lines attached to it. It's bolted to the top of the drive and to the transom. Even with this thing on there the drive still swings by hand at least an inch or more left and right. I never saw anything like this before on a classic. Could the drive have some problems? The boat is being shown by the owners father. The owner is in Florida, the boat is in Detroit, Michigan. It has sat outside for better than a year with shrink wrap on it. It looks better in the pictures than in person. They are asking $16,500 for it which I think is a bit steep. What do you guys think? And what is that Shock absorber thing? I welcome all your comments.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/hrblack01.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/hrblack02.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/hrblack03.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/hrblack04.jpg

BLACKIE
07-22-2003, 09:50 PM
I guess I didn't get the pictures to post correctly. What's the secret?

BLACKIE
07-22-2003, 10:11 PM
Thanks Poodle, I will talk to trucker. What would you guys think a ball park price for this boat would be? I heard the engine run today, it sounds healthy, no funny noises, oil is clean, no smoke, etc. I have not driven it yet though. I have another boat (1986 18" classic) to look at tomorrow evening. The asking price on that one is $14,900, seems steep too. I'll post some pictures and comments of / about it tomorrow night. I don't know why the prices seem to be high here in the Detroit area but they are. Regarding harbormasters boat, I was all ready to drive down there and get it but he changed his mind before I could talk to him. I guess I should have known when he didn't call on the weekend as promised. The Donzi bug is hard to shake off.

Rootsy
07-22-2003, 10:26 PM
HR,

that is not the original motor in that boat... that motor is later than 88.

price is awfully steep...

harbormaster
07-22-2003, 10:50 PM
Look for a later model. That one is REALLY kinda rough. Ask the what their lowest price it. Looks like alot of work waiting to happen.

I was selling a 1995 in pefect mechanical condition on a new aluminum trailer for 14k.

Rverrate sold his 1999 model for 17k

Ranman
07-22-2003, 10:51 PM
HR, Call me in my office tomorrow anytime (248) 208-8347. I live in Redford, work in Southfield and love to chat about Donzis. Give me a ring and I'll give you the low down on the MI Donzi scene.

Randy Oak

Donzigo
07-22-2003, 10:56 PM
You can just about bet that it will need exhaust manifolds and the thermostat housing is the old style. You could easily see $1,000 to $2,000 of repairs getting it ready to use.

Seem like a steep price to me. I hesitate to give a price I think it should bring, even though I have one in mind. You see, we just bought a 1986 22 Classic and I know what you could get into; because, we took the engine out of ours today and holy cow.........we opened Pandora's Box......looks like we got lots more problems than we first thought.....be careful, have a good mechanic look at it first.

CDMA
07-22-2003, 11:08 PM
A lot more then a little steep. Steering stabilizer most likely covers a worn gimbal.

Chris

BLACKIE
07-23-2003, 07:09 AM
Thanks guys for all your comments. I think I will pass on this boat. If anyone else is interested let me know and I will give you the sellers phone number. I really appreciate the help. I've got another one to look at tonight. I'll post what I find on the forum. Ranman, I will call you today if I can or tomorrow for sure. Thanks again.......