PDA

View Full Version : 22' Classic vs 22' ZX

1996Z15
08-22-2002, 12:36 PM
I don't mean to start any arguments here but I was wondering if there is a difference, performance wise, between a 22' Classic and a 22' ZX? I prefer the looks of the Classic but the ZX seems to have more of the creature comforts. Do they ride similarly or does one ride better than the other? What are the advantages / disadvantages to each?

Thanks

HyperDonzi
08-22-2002, 01:21 PM
i would bet a nickel that the 22zx rides better, looks like it has a deeper v and more freeboard.

RICPAZ
08-22-2002, 02:24 PM
I may be a bit biased here since I own a 22ZX.

The ZX definietly has a deeper Vee and more freeboard. It also has a stepped hull compared to the classics traditional flat hull. I think it depends more on where you will be using the boat. If you plan on going off-shore in the ocean or in rough conditions I would think the ZX would be better suited for it. If you do lake boating then you may want a Classic. They are two completely different style boats. The ZX has more "creature comforts" and a nice big sun pad to lay out on and a nice sized cuddy cabin that sleeps 2 "somewhat" comfortably.

Performance wise (I might be starting a big argument here!) with equally equipped boats I think the ZX will have the higher top-end due to the stepped hull. The Classic may have a quicker out-of-the-hole and planing time. My ZX will do 80 mph plus or minus a few mph's depending on conditions with a 502 mag, straight thru-hull exhaust and a K&N intake.

Anyways, I've never had a ride in a Classic yet (hopefully I'll get a chance someday). That would be a good test to do, I wish someone near me had a 22 Classic so we can try it out.

just my .02 cents.

RICPAZ
08-22-2002, 02:27 PM
Oh yeah... I forgot one thing. If you want a boat that will never ever ever go out of style get a Classic!

Although I do think the '99+ ZX's are preety sweet!

1996Z15
08-22-2002, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the replies, I agree that the style of all of the classics are timeless. However, I think that the wife would prefer all of the comforts of the ZX.
I'm not ready to purchase anything right now,I'm just fishing for ideas.

Lil Grizz
08-22-2002, 03:14 PM
Ok heres my .02

Depending on where you boat and what kind of ride you like is what it boils down to. Creature comforts are easy to judge, if you tend to carry more than three people and want a cabin than go for the ZX. I say this because with the classic storage and seating is rather cramped compared to the ZX. If you have a pleasure/ski boat and are just adding to the stable I say go for the classic, if you need a dual purpose boat that leans to the go-fast side buy the ZX.

Speed is pretty similar with the same powertrain. The step hull makes little to no difference on the 22ZX, I was told it was just for looks and I have yet to see any speed improvements because of it. The non step 22zx is just as fast as the step with same power. The ZX sits much higher out of the water so you rarely get splashed over the bow. The classic rides smoother at lower speeds and the ZX is more stable at higher speeds(its considerably wider). The classic is more agile in turns where the ZX needs some care. Dad has the classic style hull and loves it to death while I have the ZX and think it has more advantages. The only thing I dont like about the ride of my boat is when cruising under 45, it tends to slam back into the water when crossing larger wakes. The classic lands much smoother. But its worth it to me for the amount of room, the comfort of the cockpit, and the style of the overall boat. I like the classic design just fine but I am around them all the time and I like to be different.

Shanghied Again
08-22-2002, 03:46 PM
Believe it or not the 22 Classic has a deeper V then the 22ZX, The 22ZX has a 22 deep v and the classic is 24, The Classic cuts like a knife and can turn on a dime, The 22ZX likes a little chop to get air under the hull. The 22 ZX is a little better to run in ruff conditions compared to the classic only because of her freeboard, It all boils down to looks and needs they are both Donzis and have a good resale, I have both a 26ZX and a 16 Classic. The 16 I just picked up today! :D

RICPAZ
08-22-2002, 04:03 PM
Congrats on the new 16 classic! You are right. The ZX definitely likes a little chop to ride its best! One to two foot waves seem to work well.

But I still will put my stepped hull 22zx up against a non-stepped hull 22zx with similar power any day.

I guess I'm up to my .04 cents now.

FJB20
08-22-2002, 04:13 PM
Classic ?? ZX ?? Clasic ?? ZX ??

GEOO -- WHERE ARE YOU !!!!!!!!!!!

harbormaster
08-22-2002, 06:38 PM
I am very opinionated on this one.

I have driven both.

I think the seats in a 22zx are very cheesey. They break alot.

When I drove a ZX, the fairing on the front maade the boat feel too bulky.

I would be willing to bet cash money that the Classic gets alot more looks.

I do not know for a fact, but I bet a 22 Classic is a lot easier to sell also. There is one here that has been for sale for over a year.

As far as freeboard goes, the 22 classic has alot more than you would think. My House has more freeboard than a Classic but that does not mean it is a better offshore boat.

I would take a 22 Classic over the ZX any day.
Just my personal preference .

blackhawk
08-22-2002, 06:42 PM
The ZX is definitely more of a creature comfort boat. Shanghied is right, the Classic has the sharper 24* deadrise which will really slice the rough stuff. The 22* of the ZX along with a wider beam and deeper freeboard will make the ZX feel more "stable" and more comfortable. But, if I had to put money on which one would actually perform better in both chop and rough stuff, I would be betting on the classic. And winning! :D

Shanghied Again
08-22-2002, 08:02 PM
That all depends on who is running the boats! I have been known to run in BIG Water with a Supercharged 22ZX and we had a 22 Classic in our club and he could not keep near me> But Then there is GEO! An exception to any rule. 3=4ft water and he is running side by side with a 37 Outerlimits for over 40 miles! I have flown my 22ZX were no man has flown before! And the boat stayed together without even a crack.

blackhawk
08-22-2002, 08:29 PM
Frank, you forgot to mention that the 22 Classic had a bone stock 250hp 350 small block! :D

Just giving you a hard time. Actually, I think the Classic would take more skill to drive in bigger water. But a skilled driver would be able to drive the Classic faster.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
08-22-2002, 08:48 PM
Can you tell HARBORMASTER is bias! LOL wink
Just kidding Scot! :)
I owned a 1999 22ZX before my 26ZX, fun boat, and many comments made above are true, good and bad, I agree, that includes Scot V's, my comments are from a different view, I have rode in many many brands of boats recently, all newer etc, and of every length, we are at about 40 boats in our club now... (see website)
If your normal enviroment is decent water a classic for sure, in big water, don't buy either! Buy a bigger Donzi, especially if you boat off shore in NJ. Add 10K to the price of a 22ZX and go 26ZX. (HEY ROADTRIP, BE MY 1st MATE WITNESS). Oh, and my boat will put you too sleep on a lake, no fun at all!

Buy what YOU want and buy the MOST boat you can afford, NO SUBSTITUTE for length when considering ride. Don't buy any boat based on opinion's of a few on the web. Ride in them.... Hell I always said 33ZX's were RV's on the water and not a sleek looking offshore boat, well after a day at the helm on a 33ZX, I was wrong (rarely will you hear me admit that!). They ROCK! And so do a couple other manufactures.

On the even brighter side, both 22's are Donzi's and both are great boats. You are part of history in a DONZI!
Bryan

HyperDonzi
08-22-2002, 08:57 PM
harbormaster, how do you know your hose is no good offshore? have you taken it out on gavelston bay? LOL you know i am playing.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
08-22-2002, 09:02 PM
I thought Free Boards were only on the roof of my house trailer! wink
Aluminum is pricey!

Bryan

roadtrip se
08-22-2002, 10:39 PM
BOTH! They're both great boats!

Classic is the lake cruiser, 2-3 foot chop is a blast.

ZX is the ocean cruiser, 2-4 foot rollers are a blast.

Classics aren't going to take a bunch of coolers, people, or stuff.

ZX can take it all and you can get out of the weather.

Both have their design flaws like anything else.

Wasn't a big fan of the ZX boats until Bryan T and I ran 161 miles on the Chesapeke a few weeks back. I'd do it again tomorrow!

Run'em both, buy what you like, and join the cult!

Todd

FJB20
08-23-2002, 08:48 AM
Ride What Ya Want -- Buy What Ya Want --
No Matter Which "DONZI" You Choose You're Going to Turn Heads Particularly If You've
Got Quick & Quiet Exhaust or Just Plain Thru the Hull Good Luck

blackhawk
08-23-2002, 11:44 AM
Yeah, like FJB20 said. Make sure it is loud. There is nothing like starting your boat at the dock and looking up to see EVERYONE staring at you. Including some scowling fisherman!!! :D

Ricpaz, is your 80mph reading speedo or GPS? Not trying to bust your balls, but 80 with a stock 502 seems very high.

RICPAZ
08-23-2002, 01:54 PM
80+ on the speedo. Used my buddy's GPS when I first got the boat 3 years ago and it registered 76-77. Haven't used a GPS since. Since then I added a K&N intake but don't know if that has really given me any more top end.

RICPAZ
08-23-2002, 01:56 PM
I've also had my prop lab finished since then and at WOT it is at the rev limiter @ 5200 RPM with a 26 pitch four blade Bravo-1 prop.