PDA

View Full Version : PIAA headlights???

2biguns
07-22-2003, 08:00 AM
I replaced the bulbs on my DONZI-hauling (so I'm not too far off topic for the board) truck ('99 F250 PSD) about a year ago with PIAA superwhite bulbs and have already fried one. Replacement set looks to be about $70.00. Is it worth it?

We put the same bulbs in Amy's Yukon a couple of years ago and I could tell a drastic difference. Not so great a difference in the Ford.

olredalert
07-22-2003, 08:24 AM
-------Factory headlights are getting better and better,but its been a slow uphill battle against archaic government legislation.I think in this instance you will have to make up your own mind as to wether to anty-up or not.Some cases are clearer than others!..........Bill S

-----P.S.I have a set of PIAAs as an addition to the stock headlights on my hauler and rarely use them.

olredalert
07-22-2003, 08:24 AM
-------Factory headlights are getting better and better,but its been a slow uphill battle against archaic government legislation.I think in this instance you will have to make up your own mind as to wether to anty-up or not.Some cases are clearer than others!..........Bill S

-----P.S.I have a set of PIAAs as an addition to the stock headlights on my hauler and rarely use them.

olredalert
07-22-2003, 08:26 AM

HyperDonzi
07-22-2003, 09:03 AM
If it wasnt that much of a difference, dont pay 70$ on them.

Dr. Dan
07-22-2003, 09:41 AM
Big....... I have PIAA Driving Lights/Fog on the lower valance on my '93 Lightning..........They cost alot more than $70 ....but they are literally night and day difference when you use them. I have wanted to do the bulbs in my wifes 4 Runner....just haven't done it yet....there are many different types of aftermarket lights to use, I would go for it or an equal!

:rolleyes: Doc

Blewbyu
07-22-2003, 10:17 AM
Not worth it!!! Huge marketing ploy with the PIAA name. Get a pair of the Wagner superwhites for $12.95 ea at your local parts store! Stick with the 55/60 watt bulbs rather than going up to 80/100.They run much cooler and WAY outlast the high wattage bulbs. :D

olredalert
07-23-2003, 09:18 AM
-------Havent a clue as to why I show up three times.I had no difficulty posting and dont remember hitting any buttons twice or more...............Bill S

Barry Phillips
07-23-2003, 09:32 AM
Function really depends on the quality of the lens / reflector design of you truck. I put them in a Liberty and it was a waste of money. Plus PIAAs have a short bulb life. You are really better off with a good set of long range driving lights or pencil beams relayed to your high beam circuit. I hear that IPF bulbs are very good, but expensive. The DOT approved PIAAs are not much better than anything else but a lot more money. I had a Dodge Dakota pickup and I replaced the factory 4" fogs with PIAA 520 pencil beams, they worked great, but the replacement head light bulbs were a waste of money, because the Dodge had poorly designed reflectors and lenses. I want to do something in my wife's GMC Envoy, because this truck has a well-designed lens / reflector set up. Factory fog lights are equal to racing strips, they look sporty but have very little function, and why do people insist on using them when there is no fog? I guess they can’t find the switch.

SO-SLO

2biguns
07-23-2003, 09:37 AM
Thanks, guys. I'm heading to my local parts store to find one of your recommended bulbs. PIAA has received my last donation until I decide to ante up and install some auxilliary lighting.

I'm going to donate part of the money I'm saving to the Scot for running the board. This is a great place.