PDA

View Full Version : Milk in the outdrive!

JimG
07-22-2003, 07:14 AM
I've got H2O getting in my outdrive! (Volvo AQ250)

My bellows has developed a couple of pinholes, and milky oil is dripping onto my driveway. (When I drained my outdrive last weekend, the oil was completely contaminated...) I'm pulling the outdrive to replace the bellows this weekend.

My question to you Volvo gurus is this: Is drive oil supposed to even be in the bellows, or is there another problem? Conversely, could water get into my outdrive from these holes in the bellows, or am I getting it elsewhere?

Any help is greatly appreciated... :)

JimG

mattyboy
07-22-2003, 07:46 AM
Jim,

oil level in the 250 is measured by the dip stick up top usually around 2.2 quarts or so make sure the o ring is ok also around the dipstick screw
and use hi vis 80/90 weight
Matt

mattyboy
07-22-2003, 07:49 AM
Jim,

oil level in the 250 is measured by the dip stick up top usually around 2.2 quarts or so make sure the o ring is ok also around the dipstick screw
and use hi vis 80/90 weight
Matty

CDMA
07-22-2003, 08:40 AM
Jim,

It has been awhile since I played with volvo stuff but my memory is that universal joint is sealed and water in the bellows should not get into the drive. However if there was water in the bellows and the seal around the universal joint was bad then water would get in.
Also check the propshaft seal.

Good luck

Chris

Forrest
07-22-2003, 09:06 AM
No Jim, if there is oil in the bellows, it's probably because the input shaft seal is shot. Also, with all its O-rings, there are many places for a Volvo AQ to leak water in to the gear housing. The good thing about it is that it is fairly easy to replace most of the O-rings in the upper housing using basic hand tools and a service manual. Just don't mix-up or loose any of the shims. Also, since it's been so long time since I've replaced an input-shaft seal on a Volvo AQ, maybe MOP can help us out on what is involved in making that repair.

BillG
07-22-2003, 09:09 AM
If you have oil inside the bellows then the seal is leaking between the input shaft and the upper gear housing. The water could be entering through the prop shaft seal or if the bellows is full of water then through the input shaft seal. Reseal the drive and put on a new bellows. Another thought, I have used aftermarket bellows before and they are for want of another word s*&#.
Buy a Volvo bellows, they fit tighter and have a top and bottom mark on them. Hope this helps.
Bill G

BillG
07-22-2003, 09:09 AM
If you have oil inside the bellows then the seal is leaking between the input shaft and the upper gear housing. The water could be entering through the prop shaft seal or if the bellows is full of water then through the input shaft seal. Reseal the drive and put on a new bellows. Another thought, I have used aftermarket bellows before and they are for want of another word s*&#.
Buy a Volvo bellows, they fit tighter and have a top and bottom mark on them. Hope this helps.
Bill G

MOP
07-22-2003, 11:58 PM
My best advice you are going to pull it anyway reseal the whole thing and be done with it. Inspect U joint assy it may be damaged also change gimble bearing. I think you run in salt, the upper seal area where the joint goes in may have a tad of rust that killed the seal. Water in the bellows does a lot of damage pretty quick in salt, 1/10 in fresh but still does some damage.

JimG
07-23-2003, 09:56 AM
Thanks guys!!

I'm going to pull the drive on Friday and inspect it. I've also got a line on another AQ250. I might buy it, and install it. I'll run with it for the rest of the season, while I'm rebuilding my other one.

I appreciate the help!

JimG

BigGrizzly
07-23-2003, 10:29 PM
Check the shift plat for a bad gasket or loose bolts. This was a common problem with that drive

boatnut
07-27-2003, 02:44 PM
All the advice to reseal various things is worthwhile. My guess (considering the milky oil and the leaking on the driveway) is that the prop shaft seal is leaking and needs replacing and that the pinholes in the boot are not associated with the oil contamination problem. Of course the boot should be replaced. Also (unless done recently) change the zinc ring behind the prop and use new screws to ensure the new ring has a tight elecrically sound connection to the drive. Volvo sells the zinc and screws in an inexpensive kit. These really are bullet proof drives with a minimal of maintenance. When refilling the drive, it is best to pump the new oil in via the bottom drain hole (with the check/add oil screw out to allow air passage). The drive can be filled from the top but it is more difficult to get oil into all the places it should be without air blocks. Whatever you do, change that prop shaft seal.

JimG
07-29-2003, 07:17 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys! With Krakmeup's help, I pulled the drive ($#^$@#&^#%& pins!) and installed a new bellows. No more water in the oil after running six hours on Sunday.

Here are my options:

1. Re-seal my old drive (it's REALLY rough...) $800-$1000

2. Find another drive. I found five clean Volvos within an hour down here: two 280's, two 270's and a 250. All under 2 bills each. The problem is determining the gear ratios. According to Emmett at Emmett's Marine, most four cylinder Volvos came with 2.15 gears. (A couple that I found were behind fourbangers.) The 250's ID plate was worn off, so I could not see the designation. So, I'm still on the hunt.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I'm running the old drive till she drops...
:)
JimG

MOP
07-29-2003, 07:45 AM
Use a magic marker on the U joint yoke and on the prop shaft put in gear and turn it and count the truns though not precise will give you a good idea.

When changeing bellows on Volvos it is a lot easier and three times faster to pull just the upper gear case and leave the the rest in place, about 45 minutes and no screwing with the pins. Been doing that one for over thirty years!

JimG
07-29-2003, 08:26 AM
Thanks M.O.P!

I did the magic marker trick on mine, just to get a visual reference. So, I'll be checking them out when I get time. The problem with a couple of them is: they are still on the boat with dead engines...

I had actually intended on replacing the drive, so I pulled it. I'll just pull the upper next time. :D

In the meanwhile, I'm making wake!!
:)

JimG