PDA

View Full Version : More ? on lifejackets

James Adcock
07-21-2003, 01:31 PM
Hey Poodle, Great post on lifejackets. I finally got my boat on the water the last two weekends. MAN!!! What a blast! Anyways, I had ALL 5 family members with me. Well, We had the old "I don't want to wear a lifejacket" being sung. When I show my kids the last post about lifejackets I shouldn't hear anymore whinning. OK. I went to the Lifeline link to check out their products. They are nice. What I don't see is a Coast Guard rating. Doe's anyone have any experience with these PFD's? Is the High Performance Pleasure Jacket suffencent? I want a lifejacket that will hold my head ( and the wife and kids) above water. After riding the 18 in about 2ft waves, bouncing around, and reading that last post, I have decided they are needed. Thanks, Jamie

Ranman
07-21-2003, 03:06 PM
The Lifelines technically are not USCG approved. It's a bit ironic to me, but I guess they have never been officially certified. I do regard the jackets, however, to be simply the best available. Look at any offshore race and see what they're wearing.

I've heard it go both ways when stopped for an inspection. Some people report showing the fuzz the Lifelines and they're OK, others have reported the opposite. Again, technically if all you have on board are Lifelines, you are in violation of the USCG policies, but...

Last, but not least, you have to PAY for that quality and non-USCG. At around $350/ea eek! , I'll be surprised to see the whole family with their own. They are the best tho...

Cuda
07-21-2003, 03:12 PM
Most of the people I have heard of that use lifelines carry the pretty orange cheapies for the grouper troopers.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-21-2003, 03:31 PM
The owner of lifeline will gladly share the story of why they do not have a USCG rating, call and ask.

Personal experience is when I have my annual inspection by the USCG they count, the guy said last year "they are the best!" I have also been pulled over and they did not question the jackets, hell, at least we had them on :) .

As a legal precaution I have a storage under my V-berth in that I keep orange jackets in. So that they are "readily available" my kids ready them in the event of a "cop stop" coming.

We love our PR life lines.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/tuvell123.jpg
Bryan

BUIZILLA
07-21-2003, 03:52 PM
Bryan Tuvell 26ZX:
The owner of lifeline will gladly share the story of why they do not have a USCG rating, call and ask.Bryan I would be most appreciative if you could share that info here and save me a phone call..

J

Rootsy
07-21-2003, 03:58 PM
I second jims request... it is one reason i have not bought lifelines.. cause honestly, in the 16 i don't have A LOT of room for EXTRA jackets... i carry 4... which includes the 2 vests i have... and that is all the room i have really...

Greg K
07-21-2003, 04:21 PM
See page six of this document about Impact Rated Vests
http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/pdfs/BSC80.pdf
or this link
http://watersafety.usace.army.mil/safetyalerts.htm#100 MPH life vests
The last paragraph says it all..

McGary911
07-21-2003, 05:50 PM
Maybe there are a couple of Lifelines are in my future, but for now, i have a few Mustang Searider (MV-4600) jackets. They're rated to hold together up to 70mph, USCG type III, and pretty comfortable. Anytime in the ocean, or when running at high speed, I'm almost always wearing one.

Mustang PFDs (http://www.c-mesales.com/index.html?target=p_248.html&lang=en-us)

C-Me marine had the best price by far. Prices on other stuff seem pretty good too.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-21-2003, 09:28 PM
I recommended calling because I do not want to quote a 2 year old conversation with the owner out of fairness, but I remember the gest of the conversation, he will talk to you no sweat, just ask Lisa when you call.

I did add the Donzi logo to mine ($125 per jacket), but I figured I might as well look good in the Donzi name while being safe. A board member sold me two more (new from Donzi) in their wrapper for $250! Great deal, shop around, Ebay, classifieds etc.

My experience thus far with Lifeline has been great, measured to fit, length, chest, (bust if applicable! :) ) they fit great, the PR Edition (80MPH vest) has a zip pocket and Lanyard eyes in the front of the vest for the kill cord.

Bryan

DORK, last para DID say it all. Thanks for the reminder.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-22-2003, 09:08 PM
My post got lost...

I said that I did not want to quote a 2 year old conversation. Call and ask and get it direct.
I remember the gest, it involved cost. Yet cheap throw aways can afford it.
Who knows.

We love our jackets and I feel we are safe in them.

Best of luck to all.
bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-22-2003, 09:14 PM
My post got lost...

I said that I did not want to quote a 2 year old conversation. Call and ask and get it direct.
I remember the gest, it involved cost. Yet cheap throw aways can afford it.
Who knows.

We love our jackets and I feel we are safe in them.

Best of luck to all.
bryan