PDA

View Full Version : X-18 Maiden Voyage (A BUST)

BRIAN73
08-21-2002, 07:19 PM
Hello Everyone

Well after spending the last two months trying to get the X ready for the water, it finally happened. I cleaned the engine compartment, misc rewiring and alot of elbow grease. I built a new motor which took everynight and weekend for most of the summer. This past weekend was the final push to get it in the water.
Things were ready to rock and roll on Sunday afternoon. I started it up only to find a big oil leak comming from the bottom of my timing cover. This is not a stock cover. It's is made for a cam driven jabsco water pump. I made a thicker gasket and stopped the leak.
I brought the boat up to the ramp and got alot of stares on the highway. It was probably my cousins 2003 Black Ford Dually pulling it(HOW COOL).
I splashed it and proceeded thru the 5mph zone to get to my house. Wouldn't you know it there was a cop sitting right in the middle of the bay. I forgot to mention that the boat has dry exhaust.
I tried to get around him but he called me over. He then made me go thru a decible test. I failed horribly at idle(104db). After a half hour he let me go with a $50.00 ticket. When I finally got on plane the boat just quit. After being towed home, I found the brand new holly fuel very hot to the touch and not pumping any more. The solder on the windings melted into a puddle. That was the end to a very ****y day.
I went back up to lake armed with a borrowed holley fuel pump the next day. I put it in and tested the engine at the dock. It ran like a champ at all RPM levels.
I ran the boat for about 30 minutes. Thank god there are no cops patroling on Monday's. I had know idea how loud it really was, until my neighbor played back the digital footage. I basically can't run it on the weekends until I change the the exhaust system.
During my 30 minute ride I periodically checked the engine. The last check resulted in a quart and a half of oil in the bilge. I think it is comming from the seal in the timming cover. It must be driping out of there right on the dampner and then all over my brand new engine. At that point I ran the boat back to the dock and put the cover on it. I was pissed and depressed all at the same time. A really bad voyage.
I just need to vent to you guys. Everyone on this site know's what it means to own a Donzi and how bad you feel when your pride and joy has problems.

Thank you for letting me bend your ear's
I feel better already.

Brian

HP 600SC
08-21-2002, 08:34 PM
Brian, sorry to hear your nightmare.
It will get better..........
If you spot another X-18 anywhere let me know!!
Sincerely,
Ted M.

RH
08-21-2002, 09:27 PM
Brian, I am sure that there everyone of us who has owned a boat has felt the emotions that you describe at one point in our lives. I always try to get a good nights rest and come back to it refreshed and in higher spirits. Put it all in perspective and all of the wrinkles will work themselves out with some more effort. I guess that I just chalk it up to the joys of boat ownership. On the brightside, it still is a Donzi and there are no replacements for that! Hang in there, you will get it dialed in!
RH

Moody Blu'
08-22-2002, 12:21 AM
hehe just look at the name of my boat "Moody blu"

I think all boats need soemsort of name expressing there tempers..

"BITCH"
"Son of a bitch"
"Moody bitch"
toned down version- "Moody blu"
Moody boy...

etc....

there all "moody"

they all throw temper tantrums

soemtimes theyll treat you real good and make you smile from ear to ear..

hmm, I thought boats were different then women...

I guess not...... :p

GEOO
08-22-2002, 05:59 AM
Brian,
Glad to hear you're in the water!!! The joy's of boating... I run dry exhaust and found external mufflers that you can bolt on when you need them or Drew Marine's Shotgun flaps which open at higher rpm's automatically.

harbormaster
08-22-2002, 07:19 AM
Hey,
at least it ran good! You do not have to pull the engine. Those are nits.

Just fix the oil leak and get out the simple green to clean the bilge.

As for Decibel testing, You gotta love those NY Democrats. :D

Rick
08-22-2002, 07:59 AM
Brian, Its been a long voyage. You are too close to get discouraged. Most of us have been there or will be there. Sounds like a ripper the X-18 is absolutely beautiful. I am redoing a 21 GT and would probably not do it again unless it was an X-18. Classic Donzis are special. Laying big bucks down for a cool boat is easy compared to bringing one with a soul back to existence. Rick

BRIAN73
08-22-2002, 10:27 AM
Thanx Guy's

I really appreciate all of your word's of wisdom. I'm more level headed this week. I will determine the leak and solve it this weekend. I have to be running problem free for the Fall Picnic. I could always paddle the boat over. I live about 1000 feet from the island.(Just Kidding) I will be there come hell or highwater. Now if I could only paint the X with washable paint to avoid detection, from the police?

Brian