PDA

View Full Version : RICKR...looking for help

gjohns6896
06-24-2002, 05:43 PM
I was told you are the pro when it comes to different clutches and such. I am looking at a 1990 22' with a Ford 460 and Cobra drive. I don't know when OMC switched from one to the other clutch type, and i would like more info if I could. Also, which is better?
Thanks!
George

RickR
06-24-2002, 08:07 PM
Greorge
The drives switched around 1990. The late 80's King Cobra (flat top on drive) had a dog clutch and had some problems mainly from shift cables being out of adjustment.

My 7/90 had a late model King Cobra (hump on top of drive) with the cone clutch. It is a great drive but parts availability may be a problem in the future. The 90's hull construction and rigging were excellent. Very similar to the current Donzis although the newer Donzi's have much better, more modern materials.

Do a search for "OMC cone" for more info.

OMC post (http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000973#000001)

gjohns6896
06-24-2002, 08:17 PM
Thanks, RickR!!!

I will do just that...search! After all, that is all I have been doing for the past three weeks. Now it is time to put my money where my mouth is.

George

MOP
06-24-2002, 10:38 PM
Hi not sure if this will help, but parts are readily available through these guys http://hlsm.com/. You need to research the drive numbers to see if it has the 5 degree gears, Red upgrade shift cable and latest updated interupter pack. If you have those items its a pretty tough drive. The 5 degree cut gears and dog clutch help to suck it into gear. If you have a cone shifter thats about the best there is. And dis regard the above info. I am running a bottom shifter with all the mods and 0 troubles. People crab about the OMC's but lay the parts out next to a comparable Merc you will keep yours and they have the same adjustment BS.

gjohns6896
06-25-2002, 08:40 AM
Thank you! I am going today to look at her. We will see what upgrades it has had, and also how durable it is.

Georg :D e

gjohns6896
06-29-2002, 07:19 AM
What a dissapointment! The 22 I drove needed lots of work. And he told me it was a "good deal!"?????

Sorry, but most boat owners don't want to have to work on the boat from day ONE! Not this one anyhow. If anyone wants the truth about the boat in Brighton, MI, I would be happy to tell you.

I can't say anymore. Sorry.

George :mad:

Dr. Dan
06-29-2002, 08:19 AM
George, I'd be interested in talking to you, I may want to start a "Project Boat" and I really am only looking for a hull! Email me your numbers or comments and we can talk! :D I will be in Howell Michigan the week after the Holiday and I could check it out on my way through on my way up to Burt Lake!...Thanks In Advance... :cool: ...Doc

BERTRAM BOY
06-29-2002, 09:12 AM
Dan,
You starting a project boat?????!!!!!!!!
Are the planets out of alignment again?
BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

gjohns6896
06-29-2002, 11:04 PM
Doc, are you suggesting that I have a 22 for sale? If so, you are way off base! I looked at buying one...but the one I drove sucked major ass! The owner said it needed to be "tuned up and new plugs, possibly cam work." SORRY, not for me.

Project boat...maybe, but it did run, just not very good. Barely got up on plane, and that took FOREVER!!!

Anyhow, let me know if you want the guy's info...he is in Brighton, MI.

Cheers,
George