PDA

View Full Version : Prop Help 22 Classic

Classic Robb
07-21-2003, 09:45 AM
I have a 2003 22 Classic with a 496 mag Bravo 1(1.5 ratio) and was looking to for a new prop. The boat came with a 23" Mirage+ but due to damage from an underwater object I repleaced it with a 23" Mirage. The boat is not nearly the same with the replacement prop and after reading several post on this site I contacted Turbo Props. They suggested a 2+2TH 4 blade (14 1/4 x 24"). The best price I have found is $345.00. I am looking to achieve great handling and a top speed of 65 mph or better. Am I on the right path or is there something else I should know? Thanks

boldts
07-21-2003, 11:17 AM
Classic Robb,

Interesting that Turbo suggested the 4 blade over the 3 blade Turbo1. Maybe because one of your criterias was better handling. One thing you have found is that the Mirage is not the best prop for the 22 Classic hull. I can atest to that also has my Donzi came with a 23 Mirage when I purchased the boat.

While your 496 has more HP than my 454MAG, I gained 3 MPH and tremdously better handling by placing a 22" Turbo1 3 blade on my Classic. (I needed more RPMs also.) This came from our Georga Members: Tomahawk and Big Grizzly who through working with Honda, have tried just about every prop out there on their 22' Donzi hulls. They swear by the Turbo prop and have found them to out perform all other props on a 22 Classic type hull.

Not sure which dealer you found your price at, but I living in Ohio found a Discount Prop dealer up in Michigan (Sorry, can't recall the name off the top of my head.) that had the best price on my Turbo1 3 blade.

Another prop that many of the Classic hull guys like is the Hydromotive Quad IV. I tried a 23" Hydro IV on my boat and yes, it really sat the boat down in the water and handled like a European sports car. Very tight and comfortable. Price and speed on the Hydro vs the Turbo1 was the deciding factor for me. (Speed GPS on 23" Hydro = 66 while 22" Turbo = 68) Going to a smaller pitch Hydro may have also helped the speed in my case. I did not try a 22" or 21". 4 blade props are known for being slower than a 3 blade. So, that brought the price factor into the decision. The Turbo1 I feel while not has tight as the Hydro, still made my Classic act like a Sunday drive in the country. Smooth and very predictable.

This year, we had Turbo Propellers attend AOTH III in Kentucky. Due to the high standards used in the prop construction, you will not need to spend additional money on having a Turbo labbed to make it perfect. The prop is offered in 1" increments, so again, no need to have the prop beat on by an outside prop shop if what you order is not the best pitch for your boat. It may have been sales hype, but all I know, I have not had to do a single extra bit to my prop and a Turbo prop will be the cheapest speed you will find for your boat anywhere. Case and point, I next added a Hydromotive nose cone to my Bravo1 at a cost of $400 and gained 1 more MPH.

Good luck with your quest. I hope my experience helps you.

Barry Phillips
07-21-2003, 02:05 PM
Hi Classic Robb, I to asked the same question about my 02 22 with the 496Mag and I to am running a 23" Mirage Plus. What RPMs were you turning with your 23" Mirage Plus. My boat is equipped with the Gaffrig 2s, not as high in quility as your Monsters and they indicate 5000 rpm at 70 mph. With the tabs all the way up it takes very little trim to run the hull really lose. I think 65 would be slow for your setup. This past weekend I hand 3 passengers and a full fuel cap and still managed 68 at wot and 60 at 4000 rpm. This numbers are not unconfirmed though. Your boat and my should have identical numbers, if you are running the 375Mag. Please get back to me on the RPMs with the Mirage Plus.

Thanks SO-SLO

Classic Robb
07-21-2003, 02:48 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Barry Phillips:
[QB] Hi Classic Robb, I to asked the same question about my 02 22 with the 496Mag and I to am running a 23" Mirage Plus. What RPMs were you turning with your 23" Mirage Plus. My boat is equipped with the Gaffrig 2s, not as high in quility as your Monsters and they indicate 5000 rpm at 70 mph. With the tabs all the way up it takes very little trim to run the hull really lose. I think 65 would be slow for your setup. This past weekend I hand 3 passengers and a full fuel cap and still managed 68 at wot and 60 at 4000 rpm. This numbers are not unconfirmed though. Your boat and my should have identical numbers, if you are running the 375Mag. Please get back to me on the RPMs with the Mirage Plus.

Thanks SO-SLO

I never got the chance to run WOT with the Mirage+ so I can not give you any info on the RPMs. I am currently running a 23" Mirage and the RPMs about 4600. The motor is at about 20 hours.

smoothie
07-21-2003, 06:16 PM
The place in Michigan is: Dans discount propellers,,,1-248-666-3402,he will drop ship to you.

catch 22
07-21-2003, 07:50 PM
Hi everyone I have 1998 22 classic with a 454 mag mpi. I have a hydro iv 23 pitch.W.O.T IS AT 5000 RPM 68 MPH. My other prop is a mirage plus 23 pitch. At w.o.t rpm is 5000 at 70 mph on gps. two people full tank of gas. :)