PDA

View Full Version : Oil in the outdrive

David Ochs
07-20-2003, 08:28 PM
I was sure that I drained the oil from my Volvo 250 after the last time out. So today I go to fill it with 3 qts., like I've done many times before. Only this time the 3 qts. filled it to the brim. Thinking that perhaps I never drained it, I do it again. Yep, it came right to the top again. What the heck is going on?????????
Any ideas, I'm worried for in two weeks I'm hauling it about a thousand miles north for vacation.

BillG
07-20-2003, 09:39 PM
I believe you will find it only holds 2.2 quarts.
Bill G

David Ochs
07-20-2003, 10:57 PM
Thanks Bill. You're absolutly correct, my shop manual says 2.2 for the 250 and 2.8 for the 270. No mistake about it, I've been overfilling at 3qts. for a long time. But never before has it not accepted all 3qts.with ease. Oh well.

boldts
07-21-2003, 09:09 AM
David, just something I found while owning a Volvo 250. After filling, put the boat in the water on the trailer or hook up the muffs to the drive and place the drive in and out of gear a few times while the engine is running. Many times I found that I needed to add just a little more oil because of air in the oil passages. Might be why 3 qts went in in the past and not this time?