PDA

View Full Version : Hard to Start Problem - Help

RedDog
07-20-2003, 08:27 PM
Genuine Trouble has become hard to start. She will hit well when the key is first switched and then die. When she does take, its a good hit, then revs drop back quickly, and the pick up again. Reminds me of what happens if you try to start with the kill switch lanyard pulled. Once running, all is fine. This began after I adjusted the shift linkage to resolve a problem with it being slow to engage the gears when moving the shft lever but could just be a coincidence. I thought the problem may be the shift interupter - but I disconneted it (I think - pulled a wire from the linkage that must be it) - and it still had the problem. But when I reconnected the interupter wire, attempts to test (push in on the switch) didn't seem to affect the running engine. I also tried hosing the carb with cleaner and the inside of the distributer with WD40. PS - when I adjusted the shift linkage, I also pulled the drive about 1/2 inch to allow access to the drive side plate - clean and lubed the linkage under this cover)

Any clues? Here are the engine specs:

BBC 454, 420HP, 1988 Mark IV built by “Second Effort”
• 4 Bolt Main, 7/16 rods
• GM Forged domed pistons (8.75 to 1 compression ratio)
• Forged Crank
• Crane Cam 132561, hydraulic flat tappet Crane lifters, Crane roller rockers
• Intake GM Marine High Perf Aluminum High-rise
• GM High Perf Rectangular Port Heads
• Holly 4831 (4150)
o Jets 78 Primary, 82 Secondary
o Power Valve 65 Primary, 65 Secondary
o Accelerator pump 015 gap
o w/annular discharge nozzles
o 4 corner idle and choke horn removed
• Plugs AC R43TS
• Distributor MSD Extra Heavy Duty
o Black bushing (18 degrees total)
o 2x Light Blue Springs
o w/soft touch rev limiter
• IMCO S/S Exhaust

RedDog
07-23-2003, 07:16 AM
Back to the top - any ideas?

Rick R passed on some thoughts, one of which was a possible bad ignition switch. Also need to check my distributor advance - last time I looked it was less than pristine :rolleyes:

Greg K
07-23-2003, 07:36 AM
Ignition box or module, neutral safety switch?? Just a few ideas..

RedDog
07-26-2003, 04:09 PM
Yahoo! Problem was a bad ignition switch.