07-20-2003, 06:18 PM
Donzi Aficionados wink

First look at a new Classic

http://www.donzi.net/photos/dnz40.1.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/dnz40.2.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/dnz40.3.jpg

WOW !!!

Mark 311 :cool:
Sarasota - - - W F O (close to the factory and far from a dream)

Capt. Donzi
07-20-2003, 06:39 PM
Look's like someone has been sniffin around the dealer meeting!
Very nice Mark, thanks for the photo's
Ted

mattyboy
07-20-2003, 07:52 PM
don't tease us Mark
where's the hatch pic!!!!!! :rolleyes: wink :D
is it Pearsonesque!!!!!

Matty

mattyboy
07-20-2003, 08:10 PM
good catch Scott!!!!
oh boy there will be no living with him now!!!! :p wink :D the yellow gauges are a bit much tho????

Matty

Cuda
07-20-2003, 08:11 PM
Gotta luv them yaller boats! :)

I'm going to put one of those Spargi yellow wheels in the Formula.

I removed the pic so it wouldn't run the text off screen. I tried shrinking it, but it came up big again. :confused:

BTW, I won the Spargi wheel on ebay today for $118.50. :)

BUIZILLA
07-20-2003, 08:34 PM
Whats with the *new style* rubrail ??

interesting...

J

Speed-Racer
07-20-2003, 08:50 PM
Great PICS Mark...There is supposed to be another all yellow boat there as well.... :p Very nice touch to add the orignal DONZI logo to the gauges, and steering wheel :) As well as the decal on the side.

BTW- Bout time they did away with those wind deflectors!

Tony
07-20-2003, 08:56 PM
I'm with Matty, the guages need to have a black background. But I love it none-the-less! I have always had a strong affinity for the yellow/black combo.

mattyboy
07-21-2003, 07:34 AM
Poodle,
yup she kicked me out wink and once the beer is gone at Scott P's I'm heading south so stock up wink :D

Matty

boldts
07-21-2003, 08:54 AM
Looks nice except I prefer medium blue and white, but everyone has their favorite colors. Only thing I would change is the white steering bezel? Why wasn't it painted yellow or gray to match the gauge bezels? I like the return to the old style side decals.

Does it come with the 525 or 496HO?

Barry Phillips
07-21-2003, 02:28 PM
I like the prop logo on the aft deck, but I like the way Scot P did it better, silver and let the strip show through it. The yellow Monsters are cool but the conventional white deck and interior tub would really show off the gauge faces and the yellow seating better. I would have preferred to see this boat with a white deck, yellow strip and carpet. The gauges and wheel would really stand out and the white helm and switches would not look so out of place. In fact why didn't Donzi use the Peuter toggles switches they used in the SE. And by the way whats up with the rubber rub rail, that belongs on a fishing boat. The black WS dose not look so bad with this color combination.

PS, what color is the 40th anyway?
SO-SLO

Barry Phillips
07-21-2003, 02:32 PM
One more thing where can I get that steering wheel hub cover, cool cool cool.

SO-SLO

Barry Phillips
07-21-2003, 04:13 PM
Looking further at the overhead shot of the interior I agree with some of the other guys in this post. Black or carbon fiber gauge faces, black or peuter switches, black carpet would look great with that wheel. The white helm cover needs to go, maybe chrome or yellow powder coat. Is that a rubber insert in the rub rail? if not I stand corrected, if so "yuk". Still a nice efford by Donzi.

Once again SO-SLO

smoothie
07-21-2003, 06:53 PM
Nice looking ride :cool: Someone sure paid attention to detail on this one wink

boldts
07-21-2003, 09:26 PM
Here are a few pictures sent to me by Tom Riggle (Tomahawk) who is also attending the dealer conference.

40th Side View (http://www.mwdonziclub.com/images/triggle40th.JPG)
Looking down the bow (http://www.mwdonziclub.com/images/triggle40th2.JPG)
Donzi Van (http://www.mwdonziclub.com/images/trigglevan.JPG)
Magic Float's 38ZR (http://www.mwdonziclub.com/images/trigglemagic38.JPG)
Bryant's Blackhawk (Donzi Blackhawk) (http://www.mwdonziclub.com/images/triggleBryantbh.JPG)
Bryant's Blackhawk (Donzi Blackhawk) number 2 (http://www.mwdonziclub.com/images/triggleBryantbh2.JPG)

Donzi Blackhawk
07-22-2003, 10:05 PM
Holy crap Barry!!!!!

Tell us how you really feel!

Bryant

"Nobody has never erected a monument to a critic"

Barry Phillips
07-23-2003, 09:13 AM
Don't want to offend anyone’s sensibilities, but being critical of details is how I have been trained, being a designer. The beauty of anything is in the details, and sometimes I don't understand why the designers at Donzi miss so many, because I assume they have attended a design school somewhere. All the items used in the 40th 22 are right out of the Lavorsi and Teleflex parts catalogue. These are not mass produced boats, especially the limited edition versions like the 40th, so there no reason to get it completely right instead of 95%. My 18 had a chrome Teleflex helm cover, which would go with any hull color as per the horn cover. When Magic Float ordered his honey colored 22s the white helm, horn and speaker covers stuck out like sore thumbs, he even admitted it himself. I like the retro theme of the 40th and I applaud Donzi's effort, but get the other 5% right, it's not like they are building 10 million boats a year, there is no economy of scale or cost. Frankly the SE was a nicer effort, it was the first 22 that used the Gaffrig Monsters, which became standard on all 22s and the military toggles switches complimented the gauges. The prop steering wheel hub cover is the level detail I like to see, and other things like the gauge faces are just my opinion.

SO-SLO

Mark Albers
07-23-2003, 08:23 PM
Donzi Aficionados wink

I think we should be thankful of Donzi's 40th Anniversary Classic

After all very few us actually go out and spend the jack on a new ones

In an industry that drives fish boats and cruisers, the Classic's keep motoring on (where is a Scarab 40th anything ???)

Thanks Donzi
For 40 Great Years

Sarasota - - - W F O (close to the factory and far from a dream)

harbormaster
07-24-2003, 09:03 AM
The new 22 is a beautiful boat.

Bryant, Yours looks awesome as usual!

boldts
07-24-2003, 09:56 AM
This is a bit off topic, but while driving on the freeway the other day, I saw a Baja 25th Anniversary boat. The reason I knew it was an Anniversary boat because it proudly displayed the fact on the hull side. Not some little decal in the corner of the side windshield.

Reason for pointing this out. Mark, believe me, us Classic owners are just happy the boats are still being produced. Even if we may not have the jack to purchase a brand new one. Our used buys were at one time someone else's brand new buy. I think the point Barry was trying to get across was that if your going to celebrate 40 wonderful years of the Classic, a boat known for it's top of the line parts and one of a kind beauty, take some time in the design room and make it a special boat. Don't just piece it together with what-ever is laying around the back room of the factory. The reason people buy most Classics is because they saw one on their lake or in their childhood and ever since, they couldn't get it out of their mind or memory. The reason people buy special Classics like the Testarosa, BlackHawk, Special Edition, and Annaversary models is because they want a special Classic built in limited numbers which make the boats a piece of history.

This is probably a bad annology, but take the Indy 500 pace car editions offered over the years. You don't see someone driving those cars every day of the week. Same goes for these special Classics. Make it a boat that sticks out and is not just another chevy on the highway.

The 40th Anniversary Classic 22 is an option right? So, it should have a special price above the normal Classic 22 price. It should have every top of the line product in it also. K-Planes instead of run of the mill tabs, the most cubic inches safely available to be installed in the boat including the outdrive to match that HP. Most important, let non-owners of the boat know they are looking at something special with a special 40th Anniversary graphics package. Not just a solid yellow hull with a small little decal on the window. Put it on a special 40th Anniv. trailer with graphics to match the boat.

Look guys and gals, this is just my opinion and like Barry, do not wish to offend anyone from Donzi (AMH) or here on the Registry. Mark, I understand what you are saying also. We are lucky that Donzi even still builds these boats. We all know that the Classic line is not what pays the bills for Donzi. How-ever, say down the road 10 or 15 years from now. If a niece or nephew of mine after riding on my plain jane Classic, wants to purchase a used Classic, the first ones we will look for are these special limited edition boats. Make them limited and make them top of the line special.

mattyboy
07-24-2003, 10:14 AM
well said Scott!!!!
please remember the reason there is a 40th is due as much to the present Donzi's committment as it was too Donzi's past committment to building a CLASSIC boat of timeless design, and if you want to honor the past make the same effort that will produce a boat that lasts, and looks good in 30 years.

I do like the 40th but there are certain things that don't thrill me. didn't want to offend anyone either, let's see what chevy does for the corvettes 50th???? should be special.

spending all my jack on a Donzi old or new what's the difference

it's a Donzi!!! :D :D :D

Matty

Barry Phillips
07-24-2003, 11:54 AM
Thanks Bolts, I was not slamming the 40th I like it very much but Donzi's style guys always seem to miss that 5%, gauge and hull color is a just a taste issue, but why bother coming up with vintage decals and steering wheel hub covers and than stick in the standard flat rocker switches. If Donzi truly sweat the details, maybe they would have used the vintage chrome rocker switches used in 60s vintage Donzis. I don't mind the little 40th decal on the aft side glass, kind of classy. I also agree about the tabs, for the price of these boats, Donzi could at least make the dual ram sport tabs standard and the off shore style controls would be nice to. Even Baja put racing style controls in their entry level 20 footer.

I don’t agree with Mark that we are so privileged that Donzi still makes the Classics, why do you think they didn’t offer Z-Care or incentives on the 03 Classics. Could it be they did not need incentives to sell them? Being on the small side, most Northern and Mid-Western lakes are the biggest market for these boats. I would like to see a 28 footer based on 007, a traditional V Bottom. The Miller brothers understand the Classic buyer. Mike himself mentioned last year that Donzi’s high end and Classic series boat are out selling the ZX line in this slow economy, why is that? My 22 attracts more attention than any exotic car, people just know its special. Last weekend I idled into an inlet where a bunch of guys were rafting with Baja’s, Checkmates etc. They almost fell overboard staring at my 22, also I had my trailer inspected and the guy issued the sticker with out even looking the trailer, he just wanted to talk about the boat, this gives me a kick. Donzi management is finally beginning to figure out what a treasure the Classic Series boats really are and the loyalty of there owners, so Donzi come up with the other 5%.

SO-SLO

RickSE
07-24-2003, 12:03 PM
There is one thing you guys need to realize, if you don't like the way Donzi is building the boat all you have to do is ask for changes when you order. If they can get the parts they will change it the way you want.

Donzi is doing exactly what they need to on this boat, Keeping the price down by using standard off the shelf stuff. Again the customer can always request custom stuff.

We ordered one at the show with some modifications from the standard boat. The boat is absolutly beautiful in person.

The 40th Aniv. is an add on package to a standard 16,18 or 22 Classic. Most will be done in Yellow but I'm sure Donzi will do different colors if a customer wants.

I don't understand the #1 boat, at the show. It has the 425 HP 496 MAG-HO but did not have a Bravo-1X drive or dual ram trim tabs. I would not run this boat like this since the standard Bravo-1 is only rated to 375 HP and I would think the single ram tabs would be useless. The #2 22-Classic boat was going down the line and had all the right stuff HO motor, Bravo-1X and dual ram tabs.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/rstrones71.jpg

RickSE
07-24-2003, 12:25 PM
I asked the design guy at Donzi about a bigger version of the Classic. He showed me a drawing of a 33' Classic he did a while back but said management just laughed when he showed it to them. My impression is that Donzi will never build a bigger Classic unless people and the dealers really push it.

On a side note Donzi is strongly considering building a new 35ZX with a flat deck like the ZR. They we're looking for input from the dealers on weather it would sell. I saw the drawings and it looked like a winner to me.

Barry Phillips
07-24-2003, 02:33 PM
Hi Rick S, not to beat this death, I realize that all Classics can be be custom ordered. Few boat builders have the buying clout to spec custom stuff, but its how you blend those off the shelf items that make the difference, hot rodders do it all the time. A boat built for a dealer show should be right the 1st time; this shows a higher level of comment from management. Frankly I do not think the powers that be at Donzi are interested in the Classics (not enough profit margin). There is more profit in larger boats. I'm glad that some of our suggestions made it into hull #2, I’m just saying sweat the details the first time, dual ram trim tabs and toggle switches are not going to break the bank, not like KPlanes will. You mention keeping cost down, last time I looked an 18 listed for 38k and a 22 with nothing on it with standard power 52k, add stereo, 496HO, deft finder, Quick&Quick, the price goes up from 56 to 58k, buy no measure is a Classic Donzi a price boat, so dual ram trim tabs are not to much to ask for, standard. At the next boat show check out the level of detail and standard features on a 22’ Colbalt or a CrisCraft launch both in the mid 40s range. I just purchased a new 22, so I put my money where my mouth is, and most of the dealers I spoke with wanted upwards of 600 bucks for a bull#### Coast Guard package which includes 5 life vest, fire extinguisher, flares and a distress flag which I can put together for under 75 bucks. In fact the last boat show I was at, which was in NYC, I saw engraved cleats on $20.000 family bow riders and raised automotive style decals on just about everything, maybe Steve Simon should take notes. Please don’t get me wrong I love my boat, it’s built like a tank and I never get tired of looking at it, but inexpensive it’s not and a little more attention could be paid to the level of detail. Sometime it seems that the Classics are the step-child of the Donzi line.

SO-SLO

Barry Phillips
07-24-2003, 02:40 PM
Blackhawk, I'm not talking about the milaitary style toggles in the 40th, they did not exist in the 60s. I'm suggesting the plain old chrome jobs cheap, off the shelf and retro.

RickSE
07-25-2003, 09:50 AM
The Classics bring in top dollar at Donzi, as they should. They always seem to sell well and there's never been a price cut on the Classics that I can remember. There have been multiple price cuts on the ZX boats over the past few years. Every time I go to the factory I'm amazed at how many Classics are going down the line. I do believe Donzi understands the value and importance of the Classics. Donzi has to be making a heafty profit on these boats. There's not much to them and they can't be all that difficult to build.

Magicfloat probably knows all the details on the #1 22 boat. He custom ordered boat #1 and it just happened to be the boat that was ready for the dealer conference. I'm sure better equipped boats will show up at some of the Retail shows. From what I hear now the boat was ordered with the smaller 375 H.P. 496 MAG. Therefor it's equipped correctly, 496 MAG gets Bravo-1 drive and single ram tabs, 496 MAG-HO gets Bravo-1X & dual ram tabs.

Also wanted to add that each 40th Aniv. boat gets a numbered dash plaque and a unique H.I.N.

Ranman
07-25-2003, 10:24 AM
Donzi has to be making a heafty profit on these boats Mike Miller swore up and down that Donzi doesn't make any money on the Classics. The real money is in the 33+ foot boats. How much profit can there be in a 45K boat vs. a 200K boat?

Greg K
07-25-2003, 10:50 AM
Perhaps not alot is made when you only sell less than a 100 classic models a year. I do think Rick was just stating that there is not alot to actually building a classic in comparison to some other type of boat of equal retail price and the price of classic could be much lower. Limited production can lead to higher costs in some instances, but I don't think this is the case for classics which he was commenting on.

mattyboy
07-25-2003, 11:58 AM
well I don't know about 45k??? how about 55k!

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/9/2/43668792.htm

now to me this looks much better than the 40th
but that's only because I love RED wink :D

so what will be the nut on a 40th??????

Matty

roadtrip se
07-25-2003, 01:51 PM
I bet this thing would stop hearts in red.
I know it would mine. Pretty cool. My only question is how many of these yellow beasts will terrorize Winni? Seems only right!

Anybody serious about getting one, I will be happy to get you a number and your boat on the way.

Todd
somewisbey@earthlink.net

mattyboy
07-25-2003, 09:28 PM
OK OK,
UNCLE UNCLE UNCLE

Poodle you are right!!!!
I've taken quite a liking to it!!!!

Matty wink :D :D

Mark Albers
07-25-2003, 09:45 PM
Crazy Poodle wink

How in the hell did water get in the gauge ??? :D

You would think an anniversary edtion would be flawless

I guess they were copying Pearson's version ???

Sarasota - - - W F O (close the factory and far from a dream)

Speed-Racer
07-25-2003, 09:56 PM
Poodle, I think your right it is starting to grow on me....yellow, yellow, yellow, but still nothing beats B-L-U-E wink Sure love those custom gauges :D

On the SE..the speedo gauge didn't work when I went for a test ride...and if you look close enough in the o2' catalog, you can see the speedo at zero!

Jimmy Buffet's SeaPlane is in Orlando! :cool:

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-25-2003, 09:57 PM
Too much yellow is like too much orange...

mattyboy
07-26-2003, 08:19 AM
Mark,

Copying Pearson's would be a great place to start, especially the dash!!!!!

Pumpkin or butternut squash you decide!!!!!

I still want cherry!!!!!

Matty

mattyboy
07-26-2003, 08:39 AM
guys I'm just having fun with this and I do like the 40th but I'm not crazy about yellow( sorry Chris and your boat is great too!!!).but to pick on the pumpkin which is well the nicest donzi I have ever seen well is just stoopid, so what do you guys think of this :p wink :D
http://www.donzi.net/photos/dnz40org.jpg

Matty

Greg K
07-26-2003, 09:33 AM
Now that's exciting!! Just Awesome!! eek!

HyperDonzi
07-26-2003, 10:51 AM
boldts:
This is a bit off topic, but while driving on the freeway the other day, I saw a Baja 25th Anniversary boat. The reason I knew it was an Anniversary boat because it proudly displayed the fact on the hull side. Not some little decal in the corner of the side windshield.
I tie up with them a lot, Mark and Shelly, very nice people. They offered me a chance to drive their boat...27 :)

I agree, it needs to say 40th anniversary on the hull, not just on some plexi-glass.

Speed-Racer
07-26-2003, 11:05 AM
Let's see it in blue....Matty did you do that in Adobe Photoshop? It's amazing what that program can do do!!

Marlin275
07-26-2003, 01:15 PM
That's a good Coast Guard safety orange!
More interesting than yellow.
BMW2002 Orange?

Speed-Racer
07-26-2003, 04:42 PM
Hereyah go Scott....Hmm the new Testarossa? :p http://www.donzi.net/photos/red22a.jpg

Capt. Donzi
07-26-2003, 04:54 PM
Dang Brandon! That ROCKS!
Ted

Donzi Blackhawk
07-27-2003, 09:26 AM
I think a Scott Pearson orange 18 40th anniv. edition would be cool. What would be fitting is for someone to buy it, store it away for twenty years then watch Scott and CDMA go on the hunt looking for the boat. After Scott gets his hands on it, he can add it to his Donzi fold / collection. Scott, how is the Donzi garage construction going?

Bryant

Ed Donnelly
07-27-2003, 08:44 PM
They had good intentions of building the 22 in 1964,but, no one got around to actually doing it until 81. We all know its the thought that counts...Ed

Donzi Blackhawk
07-27-2003, 09:22 PM
Poodle,

You know how it works, have a party for the 16 and everyone crashes the event. Actually, it celebrates 40 years of Donzi - you know that.

Bryant (crasher of parties)

roadtrip se
07-27-2003, 10:00 PM
Let's see here:

What would be in line before the 40th finds it way to the new Somerville estate in Michigan?

-Two winter wardrobes,
-Hot tub,
-John Deere garden tractor with snow blower,
-His and Her Ski-Doo REV snowmobiles,
-Barn expansion for future Classics,
-40th anniversary in red with 525, twin ram steering, xr bravo with sportmaster, and kplanes.

Working down the list...

Todd

RickSE
07-28-2003, 09:26 AM
My list is pretty short.

Myco trailer for 22-Classic.
40th Aniv 22 496 MAG-HO.

I'll probably have the only one that makes it this far West.

mattyboy
07-28-2003, 09:46 AM
guys just one more question
how do we explain Sam Pilatos beautiful 16 it is a 1996 30th annivesary edition???? or this 18???
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/3/8/52718738.htm
something doesn't add up wink

Matty

mattyboy
07-28-2003, 10:04 AM
I thought it was the roman calendar chinese calendar thingy wink that always gets me. I forgot about leap years

Matty
it's deja-vu all over again

Ranman
07-28-2003, 11:52 AM
In 1996 there were Anniversary Editions in all the Classic sizes, 16, 18 and 22. They're honoring the Company, not the boat models.

mattyboy
07-28-2003, 02:27 PM
so in 1996 they celebrated 1966
and in 2004 they celebrate 1964

Matty
the new math really throws me wink :D

BUIZILLA
07-28-2003, 02:41 PM
:confused:

J

now needing *new era* battery's for my calculator

ToonaFish
07-28-2003, 09:16 PM
Do you think it could be a lingering Y2K thingie?

Silver Streak
07-28-2003, 11:57 PM
Matty,

Add more roman calendar chinese calendar y2k thingy

In 1988 they celebrated 1963
http://www.donzi.net/photos/SilverStreak001.jpg

Rick

Barry Phillips
07-29-2003, 08:01 AM
Again I applaud Donzi's effords on the 40th, I did not notice the logo on the gauge faces, it's all in the details. By the way, It just dawned on me were is the horn cover, did Donzi finally find a place to hide it?

SO-SLO

RickSE
07-29-2003, 09:52 AM
The boat at the conference did not have a horn. I asked the same question since it had the switch on the dash.