PDA

View Full Version : Hornet Tune Up Trials

RH
08-20-2002, 10:39 PM
Finally got some time to take out the Hornet on the river behind my house last night. Got the tilt mechanism working a week ago, (thanks to all who helped with cyber diagnostics!) While at it, I put new plug wires on and new cap and rotor. Weather cooled down to about 65 degrees last night and I got it cranked up for a few speed runs to arouse the neighbors. I got it to hit 5200 on the tach which is the highest that I have ever had it run. I do not plan on running it that hard, but I need to get a GPS to see what I am running on the speedo. My Chris Craft Manual states that it should red line at 5600 RPM's, but that seems pretty high for the drive unit as well as the stock 320hp 350 engine. It registered about 49-50MPH and it just seems that I should get more out of it. I am limited on the propellor selection with the Volvo 270 left hand drive and no trim. Running a 21Pitch x 14 prop aluminum prop. I do not want to blow the drive at these RPMS, as the wife won't be interested in springing for a new Bravo set-up just yet! Thinking about a new stainless prop to increase performance, any ideas out there?
RH

harbormaster
08-20-2002, 10:46 PM
Do we have photos of this jewel in the registry?
Is it entered in the boat registry?

RH
08-20-2002, 10:59 PM
Harbormaster, I am not at all computer literate. I have never had too much luck in posting any photos of it on the site. I have a bunch of digitals of it on the beach and underway.
Mostly original 1972 Hornet. Original 350 Chris Craft Conversion 320hp and Volvo 270 drive.
Blue Hull, White deck and original bule candy stripe interior that will need to be replaced eventually. The boat was sold new in Lake Tahoe in 1972 and was used for a few summers until it went to Scottsdale AZ. around 1976 and I purchased it from the gentleman that owned it from 1976 this past spring. It has been my life-long dream to have this model. Stillhas the original foil hull tag behind the back seat.
RH

harbormaster
08-20-2002, 11:47 PM
Would you mind if i entered it into the registry?

Do you think you could email some of your photos?